Ever wondered what a C & D looks like?

No replies to this topic

#1 Kirok

Kirok

Publishing and Media Director, Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 08:47 AM

FanEdit.com got "That-Which-Will-Not-Be-Named" (sorry still in Harry Potter mode!) on July 24 and the circumstances and discussion are interesting. The actual Cease and Desist notice came from LucasFilm lawyers and understandably gave the admins there a heart-attack! As it turns out though Lucas really is understanding towards responsible fan productions and only wanted one particular thing removed from their site.

Since the main problem seems to revolve around the fact that Lucasfilm don't want the consumers to confuse the fanedits with the real thing, they (the faneditors) are discussing ways of branding their fan edits so that it is absolutely obvious that they are not a professional, commercial, licensed product. Some interesting ideas for pro-active fan films there.

By the way, I see this as evidence that Lucas at least does not see fan productions as a serious infringement of his copyrights and trademarks as long as they are 1) Not for sale and 2) Not to be confused with the commercial product. Video Piracy is a multi-million dollar criminal problem for the entertainment industry - fan productions are just an excuse for lawyers to make a quick buck with a law suit that will not bring the studio anything but bad press.

Video Piracy is a crime. You wouldn't buy a stolen car would you?

Kirok of L'Stok
----------------batlHa' vangIu'taHvIS quv chavbe'lu' ---------------
------ One does not achieve honour while acting dishonourably ------

Latest releases !!! ~ March 11 - HFO Personal Logs 2 ~ March 19 - PD Smith-Tales From the Fleet 01 : Species 571 ~ March 11 - Bruffy-NovaTrek06 : A Tale Of Two Captains, Pt 2 ~
Kirok of L'Stok - Director of Media ..... "I love deadlines! I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by!" - Douglas Adams

Posted Image

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users