Photo

Your Favorite Bagel

38 replies to this topic

Poll: Your Favorite Bagel (24 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you like bagels?

1. Yes (24 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

2. No (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

How often do you eat bagels?

1. Daily, or almost every day (2 votes [8.33%])

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

2. Once or twice a week (5 votes [20.83%])

Percentage of vote: 20.83%

3. Maybe once or twice a month (10 votes [41.67%])

Percentage of vote: 41.67%

4. Very rarely (7 votes [29.17%])

Percentage of vote: 29.17%

5. Never! (0 votes [0.00%])

What is your favorite kind of bagel?

1. Blueberry (2 votes [8.33%])

2. Cinnamon raisin (4 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

3. Cinnamon sugar (0 votes [0.00%])

4. Everything (3 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

5. Garlic (1 votes [4.17%])

Percentage of vote: 4.17%

6. Onion (1 votes [4.17%])

7. Egg (0 votes [0.00%])

8. Poppy seed (1 votes [4.17%])

9. Pumpernickel (0 votes [0.00%])

10. Salt (0 votes [0.00%])

11. Sesame (4 votes [16.67%])

12. Sun dried tomato (4 votes [16.67%])

13. Whole wheat (0 votes [0.00%])

14. Whole wheat sesame (0 votes [0.00%])

15. Plain (3 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

16. Other (please state what!) (1 votes [4.17%])

What is your favorite cream cheese spread?

1. Plain (14 votes [58.33%])

Percentage of vote: 58.33%

2. Garden Veggie (2 votes [8.33%])

3. Garlic Herb (1 votes [4.17%])

4. Honey Almond (1 votes [4.17%])

5. Jalapeno Salsa (1 votes [4.17%])

6. Maple Raisin Walnut (0 votes [0.00%])

7. Onion & Chive (2 votes [8.33%])

8. Strawberry (2 votes [8.33%])

9. Sun Dried Tomato (1 votes [4.17%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 lwallace2

lwallace2

Vice Admiral

• Members
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 10:27 AM

So maybe it's just me but the forum seems a little deader than usual lately so I decided to add a random topic because I just so happen to be eating my favorite bagel this morning... (I used Noah's bagels for the list of bagels and spreads, though I'm sure other places have other choices, but if you see one that's pretty close, just pick that)

So if you have a moment, share your thoughts on bagels!

And a bonus question for fun: Which Star Trek characters do you think would like bagels? :upsidedown: (I don't think there's any right or wrong answer to this, just a personal opinion)

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 antoniawaits

antoniawaits

Rear Admiral

• Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 10:38 AM

I'm pro-bagel and I vote. :D

Can't eat them that often because I'm wheat-intolerant and need to moderate my bread and pasta consumption so I don't feel like crap.

Question: what about lox? Lox, plain cream cheese and capers is really the way to eat a bagel.

As far as ST characters go, I think Riker, Geordi, Scotty, Tom Paris, Jonathan Archer and Malcolm Reed would all go for a good bagel. I don't think Seven or Spock would get the point of the bagel. Quark would have problems with seeds getting stuck in his teeth. Worf would only like them with more meat piled on top. :)
humans: my playthings.
whee! instrumentality!
...oh, no! the parents....

#3 Bill

Bill

TU Manager (aka DefiantVulcan)

• Managment
  • 5,054 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 10:45 AM

I voted, and now I am hungry, bagel might just be the thing to eat on this really oppressive day. B)

Life is a con
stant series of adaptations. and I am adapting as fast as I can!

#4 lwallace2

lwallace2

Vice Admiral

• Members
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 10:48 AM

Question: what about lox? Lox, plain cream cheese and capers is really the way to eat a bagel.

good point! i've never been into that personally so i don't even think of it as an option, but yeah, i know some people totally go for that combo

As far as ST characters go, I think Riker, Geordi, Scotty, Tom Paris, Jonathan Archer and Malcolm Reed would all go for a good bagel. I don't think Seven or Spock would get the point of the bagel. Quark would have problems with seeds getting stuck in his teeth. Worf would only like them with more meat piled on top. :)

very logical! :vulcan: :D and i tend to agree... What about Picard? or would he just stick with his tea? LOL what cultures tend to eat bagels the most do you think?

#5 rhs

rhs

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,609 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 11:38 AM

Okay, I voted but to be perfectly honest (and certainly no offense intended), fun as this poll is, it's fundamentally flawed. First, and most importantly, many of the flavors listed aren't real bagels to begin with, as anyone from the NY, NJ area will tell you. And you didn't even list bialys as an option. Second of all, participants can only choose one answer. I happen to like several types of bagels (real ones anyway ;) ) equally. I also picked a cream cheese flavor but as someone stated in an earlier post, there's really only one way to eat a bagel, with cream cheese and lox (okay 2 ways if you count whitefish salad, which I do most wholeheartedly!) and a good dill pickle straight from the barrel on the lower East side. Ask any Northerner, especially us Jewish ones, we'll help you with the next bagel poll.

Edited by rhs, 27 June 2007 - 11:44 AM.

I declare the cuteness of Connor & Dominic!

Certified Connorsseur Chief Instigator. Trip's Not Dead!

#6 lwallace2

lwallace2

Vice Admiral

• Members
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 12:37 PM

Okay, I voted but to be perfectly honest (and certainly no offense intended), fun as this poll is, it's fundamentally flawed. First, and most importantly, many of the flavors listed aren't real bagels to begin with, as anyone from the NY, NJ area will tell you. And you didn't even list bialys as an option. Second of all, participants can only choose one answer. I happen to like several types of bagels (real ones anyway ;) ) equally. I also picked a cream cheese flavor but as someone stated in an earlier post, there's really only one way to eat a bagel, with cream cheese and lox (okay 2 ways if you count whitefish salad, which I do most wholeheartedly!) and a good dill pickle straight from the barrel on the lower East side. Ask any Northerner, especially us Jewish ones, we'll help you with the next bagel poll.

Thank you for the bagel education - what's a bialy? wihitefish salad? Well, just call me a California girl and chalk it up to that... LOL. I have very limited experience. haha

PS - I thought about making it a multiple choice, but the idea is to pick your favorite, as I think most people might tend to gravitate more frequently to a particular kind, even if they like variety, though I could be wrong... I LIKE multiple kinds, but my favorite is the "everything" bagel

PPS - Feel free to make a Bagel Poll Part 2 if you'd like! I'd be interested to see the differences...

Edited by lwallace2, 27 June 2007 - 12:40 PM.

#7 rhs

rhs

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,609 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 09:52 PM

Thank you for the bagel education - what's a bialy? wihitefish salad? Well, just call me a California girl and chalk it up to that... LOL. I have very limited experience. haha

PS - I thought about making it a multiple choice, but the idea is to pick your favorite, as I think most people might tend to gravitate more frequently to a particular kind, even if they like variety, though I could be wrong... I LIKE multiple kinds, but my favorite is the "everything" bagel

PPS - Feel free to make a Bagel Poll Part 2 if you'd like! I'd be interested to see the differences...

What's a bialy? Only manna from heaven my dear. Here's a wikipedia link for the technical definition:

bialy definition

Here's the pic for a more mouth-watering sense of what it is:

Posted Image

The picture doesn't do it justice, trust me though, once you've had a real New York bialy, nothing comes close! I haven't had one in years but I can still taste them.
Now as to whitefish salad, I should have said smoked whitefish salad. Find a New York style deli and give it a try. By the way, whitefish salad only works on bagels (or perhaps a good Jewish rye or pumpernickel loaf).

whitefish

Enjoy the feast my friends!

Edited by rhs, 27 June 2007 - 09:54 PM.

#8 Cougar

Cougar

fsfafsfdyryrhgf

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 24,610 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 10:09 PM

I eat bagels daily. Maybe one or two daily :lol:

Posted Image

"We're not the public service of Canada, we're not just another department. We are the Canadian Forces, and our job is to be able to kill people."
- Gen Hillier, Chief of the Defence Staff

#9 Robin B.

Robin B.

Fleet Admiral

• Members
  • 2,106 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 10:11 PM

My favorite is cinnamon raisin :)
Posted Image

#10 Captain_Hair

Captain_Hair

Master of all things, jack of none

• VIP
  • 50,337 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 10:11 PM

I eat bagels daily. Maybe one or two daily :lol:

Dude. That's crazy! I'm lucky if I see two bagels a day. :blink:

Posted Image

#11 Cougar

Cougar

fsfafsfdyryrhgf

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 24,610 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 10:24 PM

Yeah I'm not sure if it's healthy or not...

Posted Image

"We're not the public service of Canada, we're not just another department. We are the Canadian Forces, and our job is to be able to kill people."
- Gen Hillier, Chief of the Defence Staff

#12 rhs

rhs

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,609 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 10:36 PM

Hey, it's not your fault you're geographically challenged. Ohio's probably as much in exile from a decent bagel (or bialy!) as Virginia is! And Californians simply don't know any better (just teasing lwallace2). Lord I'm homesick now! I don't want to go back to New Jersey to live but what I'd give for a real, fresh, warm from the oven New York bagel.

#13 TPol123

TPol123

Lil Bit

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,796 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 11:45 PM

Cinnamon Crunch bagels from Panera are the best :23:
"This is a time in our life that we're making history, this is our moment. We chose to come into the Army knowing that we could be sent over here, but we chose that anyway, because we choose to believe that the American flag we wear on our right shoulder stands for something that's greater than ourselves." - CPL Chris Mason (Nov 12 2006)

#14 lwallace2

lwallace2

Vice Admiral

• Members
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 10:30 AM

Cinnamon Crunch bagels from Panera are the best :23:

Funny you mention that because I had never had one until someone from work said it was their favorite, and we happen to have a Panera right down the street from my work, so one day I tried one and it was really good, but then i had it again another time and it was so sweet... I think in general it's just a little too sticky sweet for my taste. so my favorite is still the "Everything" bagel. :)

And Californians simply don't know any better (just teasing lwallace2).

LOL - no it's probably true. Well I guess we shouldn't label everyone in general, but I guess for some people, bagels are kind of a way of life... :upsidedown: I have a friend who lives in New York and I plan to visit her sometime and i will make a point of asking for the bialy and smoked whitefish salad thingy, though I'm a little uncertain based on that picture... LOL (what is that white stuff? powdered sugar?)

Edited by lwallace2, 28 June 2007 - 10:31 AM.

#15 rhs

rhs

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,609 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 02:46 PM

:)LOL - no it's probably true. Well I guess we shouldn't label everyone in general, but I guess for some people, bagels are kind of a way of life... :upsidedown: I have a friend who lives in New York and I plan to visit her sometime and i will make a point of asking for the bialy and smoked whitefish salad thingy, though I'm a little uncertain based on that picture... LOL (what is that white stuff? powdered sugar?)

It's not a sweet sort of thing at all. I guess the best way to describe it is a partially closed bagel with chopped onions in the indentation. The dough is a little different than a bagel, more like an english muffin than anything else but crustier. The powdered stuff is probably a very fine flour. When you go to New York to visit your friend taste it and you'll see what I mean (and could you send some to Virginia, PLEASE!!!!!!! ;)).

#16 wildcard1377

wildcard1377

Version 3.1

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 04:30 PM

I used to get a fresh Bagel every weekday morning when I was in college (the benefits of having a bakery around the corner). I'd get the plain, butter it up, toast (in that order mind you) and then slather on some Kraft Philly Cream Cheese (brand specific there too LOL). Of course if it was lunch time I'd add either some pickled jalapeno slices or pineapple and then continue on my mad run to class (there were a few years when I didn't really have a "lunch time".)

Now a days it's the sun dried tomato from Dunkin' Doughnuts with plain cream cheese. (Although I'd still love the Philly w/ jalapenos, but I can't find it in stores anymore :( ). Occasionally I'll do a plain or wheat with strawberry or blueberry cream cheese. :eat: But they're still not as good as the ones I got in NYC. *sigh* miss those.

Posted Image

#17 rhs

rhs

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,609 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 11:01 PM

they're still not as good as the ones I got in NYC. *sigh* miss those.

*SIGH* I miss them too. My Dad used to take me to a bagel shop in Elizabeth, NJ (no comments about the New Jersey Turnpike, got it?)when I was a little girl and we'd get them still warm from the oven. Didn't even need butter, they were that good. I love Virginia but what I'd do for a good bagel........

Edited by rhs, 30 June 2007 - 11:03 PM.

#18 Madame President

Madame President

Confused, as a general rule

• Members
  • 5,856 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 01:50 AM

Honey Almond cream cheese is so good. everyone try it. right now. :P
"Only Nixon can go to China." -Vulcan Proverb

Landru: are you of the Body?

Proud to be a member of SANITY

#19 trini

trini

4th Year Cadet

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 06:03 AM

i like them all! :P
Posted Image

#20 Vol

Vol

Membership/Projects Director

• Members
  • 8,098 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 07:29 AM

I never had a bagel before 2003 when I went to Canada, so I really don't have a favourite I've only eaten about 3 in my life :P

Forum Rules

Insane Aussie Countdownunderist. Member of SANITY

"Fate protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise"

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users