Idea based on Viacom news

7 replies to this topic

#1 greta2242

greta2242

Lieutenant Commander

• Members
  • 276 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 12:44 PM

Here is an idea if trekkies actually want Star Trek back in the form we know and love. Good guys having a groovy time in a groovy future (Shatner's show was on over the weekend).

Before I say this, I have to say that I was very angry when Trekunited went into its own creative idea instead of continuing on Saving Enterprise. I left in a huff because I definately felt betrayed that what I wanted was not what the managers wanted. So if at the time, I said something to offend, then I apologize now. This site tried at one point and still has good memories for many.

So here is the idea. At the time of Save Enterprise was still the main focus many kind of mentioned that stocks was truly the only way to have a say. Today I read the news, http://www.prnewswir.......98245= which basically says that Redstone is entrenching himself with more and more ownership and is buying out stock. Currently Viacom has two different stocks (very common) and the number of stocks equals

Class A Common Stock 59,133,477

Class B Common Stock 629,995,752

If enough Star Trek people collectively owned shares that equaled that of management, then we could set up a voting block. If there is enough small time investors who agree to have one person vote continually for the entertainment that we want, then we get a voice. Owning one share gives you a little bit of a voice, but it's the collective that controls. If every trekkie spent the money to buy one or more share at http://www.scottrade.com/ which costs the price of stock plus $7 and we had a place to come together to find our common voice without Redstone then we create a voting block. There are only 700 million stocks out there, and we don't need to own all 700 million for a voice. Either way I am happy that I invested in Viacom when Enterprise was going down as I feel that I bought into my entertainment AND bought a little bit of money making tool for the future. Now that I know that Redstone is out to buy stock with his company, I'll be on guard not to sign any documents saying to sell. I just wish that someone had the power to push the fat cat away from Star Trek.

Lastly the best part of this is that once you buy stock, you retain complete control over your money. You can sell whenever you wish and are not bound to remain in the collective agreement unless you agree. (The agreement would be way later once people actually started talking.)

Edited by greta2242, 30 May 2007 - 12:49 PM.

Public Relations Department
Media Relations Division Member
Letters Division Member

Orlando Rally Co-coordinator
South Beach, Miami Co-Coodinator, May 2005
US South Atlantic Regional Co-Coodinator

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 greta2242

greta2242

Lieutenant Commander

• Members
  • 276 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 01:02 PM

opps I should have mentioned that I used my IRA from Fidelity to invest in Viacom. It's possible that through people's work stock options plans that they could buy through those procedures.
Letters Division Member

#3 Captain_Hair

Captain_Hair

Master of all things, jack of none

• VIP
  • 50,337 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 01:09 PM

Just so you're aware, Viacom only owns Paramount Pictures, the movies component. The company split off CBS broadcasting at the start of last year, which retains the rights to Star Trek television.

Posted Image

#4 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

Player of all things Warcraft

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 01:37 PM

That's a fairly good idea, though I think it is impractical as I doubt we could get enough people buying stock for us to have a significant impact.

However if you still want to save Enterprise the campaign is continuing and there are a lot of ways to help, tomorrow is a planning chat for our major upcoming project E-day.

#5 greta2242

greta2242

Lieutenant Commander

• Members
  • 276 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 01:56 PM

I am aware of the split between Viacom and CBS as I owned stock when it happened. I thought that Viacom kept control of Paramount which has the creative rights to Star Trek. Is that not right?

Keeping Enterprise in the public eye would be a nice definately. I'll link it on my myspace page, but in my little head all entertainment owned by Paramount Pictures is kind of a a bigger goal that could impact other genres missing their movies or shows produced by the giant overload Redstone. Power comes from voicing your opinion in the right places. Even if ten people owned ten shares then that's 100 out of 700million coming together to express their concerns to a board. Everytime you multiply that the voice gets stronger. And if you don't like the idea of a group voice then you can sell your stock or vote in a different fashion.

I do miss Star Trek in general. I'm not looking forward to a gritty version at all. Just my thoughts on this.
Letters Division Member

#6 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 03:02 PM

I am aware of the split between Viacom and CBS as I owned stock when it happened. I thought that Viacom kept control of Paramount which has the creative rights to Star Trek. Is that not right?

My understanding is that Paramount owns the theatrical rights and CBS owns the TV rights, it's a bit complicated.

#7 Captain_Hair

Captain_Hair

Master of all things, jack of none

• VIP
  • 50,337 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 07:27 PM

My understanding is that Paramount owns the theatrical rights and CBS owns the TV rights, it's a bit complicated.

And there have been rumblings of a deal between the two that new Star Trek on the TV and new Star Trek in the theater will not happen at the same time. I guess they just want to pass it off instead of dealing with sharing. :rolleyes:

Posted Image

#8 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 08:23 PM

:argh: :blink:

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users