TU archive on Wikia?

7 replies to this topic

#1 DOSMAN

DOSMAN

Commodore

• Members
  • 556 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 10:38 PM

I can't remember where I saw this thread (and in signatures as well, I think), but it was about documenting the history of Trek United and the SE movement, particularly at its height. I remember discussion about where to put this info (like a website) and if a Wikipedia page for TU should be created. I also remember reading about the existence of a wealth of info.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? :lol:

Anyway, the distributed computing program here at TU is about to create a website for itself at wikia.com. We are having trouble deciding on a name, however. We could use "trekunited.wikia.com", but that would take up a name that could be used more broadly for TU-related info.

Should we use this name or do you want it for your own use? It is possible that we could want to integrate ourselves as a section under a general TU wikia website anyway.
Computer? Yep. Internet? Of course. >>> So put them to good use!

TrekCore - TOS, TAS, TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT, Movies, and Gaming

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 Kuro-chan

Kuro-chan

Master Rank Designer

• VIP
  • 220 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 10:29 AM

Now there is a good idea! So all you need is someone in the world who downright hates TU, and they can have a field day at your expense. :argh:
- Kuro-chan, the purple-haired, rank-making... Person! ^^

Posted Image

#3 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

Player of all things Warcraft

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 12:03 PM

There was talk of an SE wiki, maybe we could do both.

#4 DOSMAN

DOSMAN

Commodore

• Members
  • 556 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 09:59 PM

Now there is a good idea! So all you need is someone in the world who downright hates TU, and they can have a field day at your expense.

From what I've read, defaced wiki pages can be easily restored from previous versions. A wiki is also inherently self-moderating. In other words, there is supposed to be a much greater ratio of constructive edits to destructive ones, making the latter rather obvious.
Computer? Yep. Internet? Of course. >>> So put them to good use!

TrekCore - TOS, TAS, TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT, Movies, and Gaming

#5 AdmiralRooster

AdmiralRooster

The Great And Powerful Rooster

• Members
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 07:13 AM

I'm not comfortable with a wiki... or even a wikia... we can setup a wiki of sorts on the site I think... but I'm only in the early stages of exploring it

#6 Guest_simsemmes_*

Guest_simsemmes_*

• Guests

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:29 AM

great! Thanks!

#7 She Hulk

She Hulk

1st Year Cadet

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:53 PM

Well too funny, editing something on wikipedia was another part of participation for my Writing in Digital context course, as a way to determine if wikipedia is truly an unreliable source of informations and one should not use it as a source for information to write an accedemic paper. As a result the change I made was light hearted in nature but after a few hours of being edited it was then reverted back to the origianl state and I was sent a reprimand from wikipedia. I am assuming if it wasn't a light hearted change, and more of a hate change, I would have not only been reprimanded but blocked by wikiadmin from any future activity.

The edit I had made was to the Tardigrade (they are one of my favorite invertebrates so I felt a little bad when I tamperred with the page) where it says also known as moss piglets I added (whom are found in close proxity to pooh bears from the 100 acre wood habitat). The email I received from the wikiadmin was "Please refrain from making unconstructive edits to Wikipedia, as you did at Tardigrade. Your edits constitute vandalism and has been reverted or removed. If you would like to experiment, please use the sandbox. Thank you. Seduisant (talk) 02:00, 16 May 2012 (UTC)". Thus I would not worry about hate changes to a Wikipage.

I think it is a fantastic idea to create such a page on the history of Trekunited, but the last title mentioned does sound like a mouth full.

If you wish to see the screen shots of the edit and the resulting email from wikiadmin, just ask and I can email it to you.

#8 Ezri Dax

Ezri Dax

Captain

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:20 AM

It should be simple, but is very direct to being Star Trek. But, I do not like it to be like a computer file name.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users