Is it Me?

14 replies to this topic

#1 B'atL'eth's Blood

B'atL'eth's Blood

Commander

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 11:04 PM

Is it me? Or am I the only one who picked up on the relationship between Mr. Scott and the computer in Star Trek IV.
Right....y'all don't have a clue do ya......(Ala Trip sotto voce..) I mean c'mon...Our beloved Engineer who is a SCOTSMAN is typing out the formula (formulae?) for transparent aluminum on a MACINTOSH!!!

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 B'atL'eth's Blood

B'atL'eth's Blood

Commander

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 11:41 PM

B)-->
QUOTE(B @ Apr 21 2007, 11:04 PM) View Post
Is it me? Or am I the only one who picked up on the relationship between Mr. Scott and the computer in Star Trek IV.
Right....y'all don't have a clue do ya......(Ala Trip sotto voce..) I mean c'mon...Our beloved Engineer who is a SCOTSMAN is typing out the formula (formulae?) for transparent aluminum on a MACINTOSH!!![/quote]

Yup....just goes to show...I should have NEVER tried this on a Bill Gates based system....

#3 Cougar

Cougar

fsfafsfdyryrhgf

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 24,610 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 11:51 PM

Dude are you talking to yourself? :blink:

Posted Image

"We're not the public service of Canada, we're not just another department. We are the Canadian Forces, and our job is to be able to kill people."
- Gen Hillier, Chief of the Defence Staff

#4 Radardog

Radardog

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 11:56 PM

B)-->
QUOTE(B @ Apr 21 2007, 10:04 PM) View Post
Right....y'all don't have a clue do ya......(Ala Trip sotto voce..) I mean c'mon...Our beloved Engineer who is a SCOTSMAN is typing out the formula (formulae?) for transparent aluminum on a MACINTOSH!!![/quote]

I think you're grasping at straws, dude. Apple computers have been all over TV and Movies mostly because they're traditionally more graphically capable than a PC. Of course, that's all bunk now, but hey, why stop now? Apple's also tend to look more stylish and fun, while PC's look like a bunch of thrown together junk in a box.

Straws, man... straws...
Captain, I am not a merry man! - Worf "Qpid"

#5 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Pick Your Own Title

• Members
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 02:57 AM

^^^I have to laugh at this one! :upsidedown:

Although I have a prefectly acceptable laptop, I find myself lusting after my friend's Apple. It's sleek and all white and just looks so damn chi-chi!

I don't normally get involved in the PC versus Apple debate, but that thing sure is an object of desire! It's computer totty, what else can I say?? :lol:

#6 WeatherManNX01

WeatherManNX01

Sir Sexy - USA! USA! USA!

• Members
  • 26,110 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 12:09 PM

B)-->
QUOTE(B @ Apr 22 2007, 12:04 AM) View Post
[quote name='Radardog' post='527108' date='Apr 22 2007, 12:56 AM']B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(B @ Apr 21 2007, 10:04 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is it me? Or am I the only one who picked up on the relationship between Mr. Scott and the computer in Star Trek IV.
Right....y'all don't have a clue do ya......(Ala Trip sotto voce..) I mean c'mon...Our beloved Engineer who is a SCOTSMAN is typing out the formula (formulae?) for transparent aluminum on a MACINTOSH!!!

I think you're grasping at straws, dude. Apple computers have been all over TV and Movies mostly because they're traditionally more graphically capable than a PC. Of course, that's all bunk now, but hey, why stop now? Apple's also tend to look more stylish and fun, while PC's look like a bunch of thrown together junk in a box.

Straws, man... straws...[/quote]
I also think it has something to do with the other computer options at the time. There weren't many options available. It'd be like a movie depicting an Orion spacecraft built by Lockheed Martin. Why Lockheed Martin? Because they're the only company building them.

Posted Image

#7 marty

marty

Commodore

• Members
  • 519 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 12:47 PM

Uh-huh. Let's see, you're nit picking a movie that shows an apple computer insteat of a pc...right? And this movie is about time traveling people from the 23rd century that fly around the galaxy in a Star Ship and visit aliens? Do you see the flaw in your concern here anywhere? :lol: Or am I missing something?

#8 Swift

Swift

Lieutenant, J.G.

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 05:11 PM

Yeh, I don't think this was meant as an in-joke. Macs are very good at certain things like video editing and graphics programs as Radardog said. I think they would have made it more obvious if they were trying to be funny here, like emblazoning the letters H4GG15-4000 or something on the side of the computer (okay maybe not that blatant :P )

Posted Image

#9 Captain_Hair

Captain_Hair

Master of all things, jack of none

• VIP
  • 50,337 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 06:48 PM

While I do get where you're going with that, I think it was more a fact of which computers were capable of doing what they wanted them to do in 1986. Back then Apple ruled the digital roost, Microsoft was struggling with MS-DOS. It wouldn't be until 1990 with the release of Windows 3 (and 3.1 in 1992) that Microsoft rose to a level of comprable performance and capablity.

Jules, get the Mac! Get the Mac! Macs are goooooooood. [/subliminal message] :)

Posted Image

#10 dominion_ruler

dominion_ruler

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 10:58 AM

I would like Scotty to go back to 2007 and use an IPod

Posted Image

#11 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

Player of all things Warcraft

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 11:26 AM

I think he's thinking macintosh like the Mc prefix in scottish names.

#12 B'atL'eth's Blood

B'atL'eth's Blood

Commander

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 12:14 AM

No...not scottish names or anything like that....I tried posting this once before and was caught in the throes of Windows XP-dom....hence the closed thread on the other....for me it was like an epiphany....LtCdr. Montgomery Scott, all around good guy, smart as hell, can make a warp coil/drive out of spit and bailing wire using a MacIntosh in that particular movie....I mean a Scotsman using a MacIntosh! What a metaphor! Was this by design? or just mere happenstance? At any rate, I appreciate the raw humor in this particular incidence...

#13 Commander Lazar

Commander Lazar

Vice Admiral

• Members
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:20 PM

Strange how a man from the 23'rd century can type on a computer from the 80's.

#14 RichMerk

RichMerk

Chief Petty Officer

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 02:29 AM

Am I the only one who picked up on the relationship between Mr. Scott and the computer in Star Trek IV.

Yes.

:)

#15 Kirok

Kirok

Publishing and Media Director, Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 03:53 AM

Strange how a man from the 23'rd century can type on a computer from the 80's.

I think its all comes down to the way he cracks his knuckles and says, "A keyboard! How quaint!" then commences to type at an impossible speed! I reckon engineering students would be taught to use keyboards in the same way that draughtsmen are first taught to use pencil, pen and T-Square before they go on to CAD software.

In the 23rd century would there still be handwriting, paper models and carpentry?

K

Latest releases !!! ~ March 11 - HFO Personal Logs 2 ~ March 19 - PD Smith-Tales From the Fleet 01 : Species 571 ~ March 11 - Bruffy-NovaTrek06 : A Tale Of Two Captains, Pt 2 ~
Kirok of L'Stok - Director of Media ..... "I love deadlines! I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by!" - Douglas Adams

Posted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users