• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Tmir

Tmir

Insane

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 3,615 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 06:55 PM

I really beleive that no one should go through life without reading at least one novel by Jane Austen, the fact that all her novels have been made into movies? Well if you don't want to read her books, try watching the movies, her books are simple enough to read, and always contains universals that we can all enjoy, If you know what I'm talking about.

Anyway, I'm reading persuasion right now, it's good, her books are the best, but they are up there, I mean is there a person who's never heard of Pride and Prejudice?
Do you like my fish?

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 Oat

Oat

Lieutenant, J.G.

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 07:26 PM

Read Pride and Prejudice when I was 7, I liked it. Read it again fairly recently, still liked it. That means something...(with me at least...)
Jane Austen's good, yes.
I like Pi, it makes me happy.

#3 JoannaPoe

JoannaPoe

Fleet Admiral

• Members
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 08:47 PM

Jane Austen's real power lies in her clever use of the language and her character's relationships and dialogue. Some of the stories are so cliched as to be laughable, but they pack a punch all the same. I love Austen, and I think Mansfield Park is my favorite. I'm going to argue against the point that all of her novels are great; I think Northanger Abbey is awful. :P

If you like Austen, try Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre. The Mayor of Casterbridge and Under the Greenwood Tree are good too. They've all been made into movies as well. The latest incarnation of Pride & Prejudice was good, but nothing can top the mini-series with Colin Firth. :)

Didja know: Patrick O'Brian was such a huge Austen Fan that he named the hero in his most popular series Jack Aubrey, so the first two letters in each name are the same. If you ever get into the Aubrey/Maturin novels (see Master & Commander: The Far Side of the World), which I highly recommend you do, you'll notice a lot of stylistic similarities in the prose.

I think part of a best friend's job should be to immediately clear your browser history when you die.

ST: Unity

#4 poko

poko

Singer of Show Tunes

• Members
  • 20,440 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 09:04 PM

Personally I think A Room With A View is my favorite single work in this vein, but Austen is equally readable.

Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre don't do it for me. Not on the screen or on the page. And I wouldn't put a story with an unhappy ending in the same category.

-Doctor-

"The universe is big, its vast, and complicated, and ridiculous and sometimes - very rarely - impossible things just happen and we call them miracles."

"Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold."

Posted Image

#5 Russell Crowe

Russell Crowe

• Members
  • 45,874 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 09:06 PM

Personally I think A Room With A View is my favorite single work in this vein, but Austen is equally readable.

I thought you said "A Room of One's Own", and I was about to go off on a rant about how much I hate that one... false alarm, though :P For some reason, I was actually thinking about Forster earlier today :huh:
Have you reckon'd a thousand acres much? have you reckon'd the
earth much? Have you practis'd so long to learn to read?
Have you felt so proud to get at the meaning of poems?
Stop this day and night with me and you shall possess the origin of
all poems...

#6 jabberwocky

jabberwocky

Vice Admiral

• Members
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 09:17 PM

I really beleive that no one should go through life without reading at least one novel by Jane Austen, the fact that all her novels have been made into movies? Well if you don't want to read her books, try watching the movies, her books are simple enough to read, and always contains universals that we can all enjoy, If you know what I'm talking about.

Anyway, I'm reading persuasion right now, it's good, her books are the best, but they are up there, I mean is there a person who's never heard of Pride and Prejudice?

Can I just get by with watch one of the many movie adaptations please?
"Guests are reminded that Platform 1 forbids the use of Weapons, Teleportation, and Religion."

ping Sanity.
ping: cannot resolve sanity : Unknown host

Sanctuary For All

#7 NMdum1

NMdum1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 09:46 AM

I've always loved this woman, I discovered her as a teenager after progressing beyond the Louisa May Alcotts and Enid Blytons or girlhood. I always thought she was a sly old thing, there was more politics in there than you'd think, the tensions between the landed aristocracy living their lives in idleness and dissipation as she would have put it and the honest figures like Robert Martin in Emma who work their way into something better, her cutting analysis of the cloying propriety of age, her sneaky mentions of the French or hints towards the political turmoil of the era, the fact that for the most part people get what they deserve and her astonishing villainesses Catherine de Burgh is a creation of genius (I have just finished reading 'Pride and Prejudice and Zombies' because I couldn't resist and it seems weirdly right that she have her own gang of Ninjas, she rules her world like a Mafia Godmother anyway).

Austen is basically in another league from the Maria Edgeworths and the Ann Radcliffes of this world. She just offers a different take on things than the Brontes or Mrs Gaskell but is no less good, sophisicated or anything else, you just want them for different reasons and to be used in different ways.

#8 poko

poko

Singer of Show Tunes

• Members
  • 20,440 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 04:25 PM

I know I said earlier that I'm not a big Bronte fan but I'm posting this anyway

-Doctor-

"The universe is big, its vast, and complicated, and ridiculous and sometimes - very rarely - impossible things just happen and we call them miracles."

"Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold."

Posted Image

#9 tish

tish

Commander of Starfleet

• Members
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 04:06 PM

My 3 most favorite Jane Austen books are Persuasion, Sense and Sensibility and Pride and Prejudice, in that order.
TUCKER: Malcolm? REED: I see it. TUCKER: Good. Means I'm not hallucinating. How can a ship be bigger on the inside than the outside? REED: It could be a hologram. TUCKER: Hand me that hyperspanner. (drops it down the hole - it hits bottom after two seconds) REED: You're not going down there? TUCKER: Got to get my spanner back.

#10 poko

poko

Singer of Show Tunes

• Members
  • 20,440 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 06:12 PM

http://www.mostlywat...e.com/jadg.html

-Doctor-

Posted Image

#11 TCyredanea

TCyredanea

Ensign

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 08:30 PM

I like Sense and Sensibility. I read it in its original language recently, and it is so much better. The Portuguese version is not so good. And I also like Persuasion. I've only read it in Portuguese, but I'll read it in English as soon as possible (translation: as soon as I have money :( ).

"Science fiction is the most important literature in the history of the world, because it's the history of ideas, the history of our civilization birthing itself. ... (Ray Bradbury)"

#12 May

May

4th Year Cadet

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 03:35 PM

I like Sense and Sensibility. I read it in its original language recently, and it is so much better. The Portuguese version is not so good. And I also like Persuasion. I've only read it in Portuguese, but I'll read it in English as soon as possible (translation: as soon as I have money :( ).

I've read Persuasion in English. But I bought a second-hand book.
I like Jane Austen, but she's not one of my favorites. However, I like her style and her characters.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users