Photo

Rate "The Doomsday Machine" (New CGI Version)

18 replies to this topic

Poll: Rate "The Doomsday Machine" (20 member(s) have cast votes)

How would you rate this TOS episode?

1. A (18 votes [90.00%])

Percentage of vote: 90.00%

2. B (1 votes [5.00%])

Percentage of vote: 5.00%

3. C (1 votes [5.00%])

Percentage of vote: 5.00%

4. D (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. F (0 votes [0.00%])

How would you rate the CGI in this episode?

1. A (18 votes [90.00%])

Percentage of vote: 90.00%

2. B (2 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

3. C (0 votes [0.00%])

4. D (0 votes [0.00%])

5. F (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Kyle Nin

Kyle Nin

Pick Your Own Title

• Members
  • 7,377 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 08:12 PM

How would you rate the CGI in this Episode?

What was your favorite effect in this episode?

Episode info:

http://www.startrek....sode/68730.html

As good as the still shots were (that had been released over the past week), everything looks so much better in motion. From the asteroids, to the damaged Constellation, to the ships flying around in space, all the way to the Doomsday Machine itself.

Effects get an "A" from me. These were some of the best space shots I've seen so far. Right up there with the Galactic Barrier and the Fesarius. I hope to see more episodes with this level of detail. The story was good too and the new FX helped to bring it more to life, so I'll give that an "A", as well.

Oh, and my favorite effect of the episode was the damaged Constellation among all of the asteroids. Nice.

Edited by Kyle Nin, 11 February 2007 - 04:52 PM.

Posted Image
Leverage -- Season 5 on DVD Coming September 17th

"The numbers are bad! The numbers are bad!" -- Hugo "Hurley" Reyes, Lost - Season 1
"Boone's death was a sacrifice that the island demanded." -- John Locke, Lost - Season 2
"When was it you lost your imagination, son?" -- Dr. Walter Bishop, Fringe - Season 1

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 NX014Ever

NX014Ever

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 10:32 PM

I think we needed an A+ for the CGI on this one! Everything I didn't get to see with the shuttlecraft last week was more than made up for this week. Always one of my favorite episodes of the TOS era. And now it was seeing it for the first time all over again! Loved it. A and A for the polls.
"There's one thing you never put in a trap if your smart. If you have any plans of seeing tomorrow there's one thing you never, ever, put in a trap...Me!" - The (11th) Doctor. [/center][/size]

#3 Tom

Tom

TrekUnited Owner & Co-Founder

• Managment
  • 4,831 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 01:52 AM

I loved it. I put the trekenhanced.com version on the video player and im working on getting the CBS versions VFX reel up. should be soon.

TrekUnited - Owner & Co-Founder

Associate Producer of Star Trek: Renegades, Coming soon!!

GalacticaBBS.com - Owner

"To boldly do what no one has done before..."

#4 Tom

Tom

TrekUnited Owner & Co-Founder

• Managment
  • 4,831 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 02:37 AM

Ok guys the VFX reel is now up in the video player :)

http://www.trekunite...p?showforum=329

TrekUnited - Owner & Co-Founder

Associate Producer of Star Trek: Renegades, Coming soon!!

GalacticaBBS.com - Owner

"To boldly do what no one has done before..."

#5 Soylent Green Is People

Soylent Green Is People

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 11:30 AM

Episode Rating: A
CGI Rating: A

I love this episode. Great story and Great acting. If you look at just the script, the episode looks just OK, but when you consider William Windom's delivery of those lines of dialogue, you end up with a great piece of TV!

And NX014ever is right. Even though I've seen this particular episode something like 76 times now, watching it with the new CCI gave the same feeling of anticipation I get when watching something for the first time. (although I never needed an excuse before to watch "Doomsday Machine")
"On the contrary, sir -- I think of this project as very important. It is you I take lightly." - James T. Kirk

#6 Bill

Bill

TU Manager (aka DefiantVulcan)

• Managment
  • 5,068 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 11:38 AM

I gave it an A and an A.

Just to see the Constellation as a real ship with real damage instead of the AMT model kit from the '60s.

Life is a con
stant series of adaptations. and I am adapting as fast as I can!

#7 NX014Ever

NX014Ever

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 01:29 PM

Episode Rating: A
CGI Rating: A

I love this episode. Great story and Great acting. If you look at just the script, the episode looks just OK, but when you consider William Windom's delivery of those lines of dialogue, you end up with a great piece of TV!

And NX014ever is right. Even though I've seen this particular episode something like 76 times now, watching it with the new CCI gave the same feeling of anticipation I get when watching something for the first time. (although I never needed an excuse before to watch "Doomsday Machine")

Thanks Soylent. And I have never needed an excuse to watch this one either! :thumbsup:
"There's one thing you never put in a trap if your smart. If you have any plans of seeing tomorrow there's one thing you never, ever, put in a trap...Me!" - The (11th) Doctor. [/center][/size]

#8 Rhett Coates

Rhett Coates

Commodore

• Members
  • 631 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 02:26 AM

How would you rate the CGI in this Episode?

What was your favorite effect in this episode?

Episode info:

http://www.startrek....sode/68730.html

As good as the still shots were (that had been released over the past week), everything looks so much better in motion. From the asteroids, to the damaged Constellation, to the ships flying around in space, all the way to the Doomsday Machine itself.

Effects get an "A" from me. These were some of the best space shots I've seen so far. Right up there with the Galactic Barrier and the Fesarius. I hope to see more episodes with this level of detail. The story was good too and the new FX helped to bring it more to life, so I'll give that an "A", as well.

Oh, and my favorite effect of the episode was the damaged Constellation among all of the asteroids. Nice.

I think you're right on here. The obvious time and effort that went into the remastering of this episode is amazing to me. I voted "A" on both counts, although I do have to suggest that perhaps they could have made the shuttlecraft just a little bit smaller (?) as it is seen lifting off the pad inside the hangar deck -- it appears to be, somehow, larger inside the 1701 than outside, at least as it is shown approaching the opening doors. Something about that just didn't sit right with me..........again: "?"

The pieces of destroyed planet slowly striking the primary hull of the NCC-1017 Constellation, then breaking up as they bounced off the un-sheilded skin of the wrecked hull, was a nice touch. And, when the nearby star's light revealed shadows TURNING on the hull of the Enterprise as Sulu veered away---with the planet-killer just below/behind them....... that was a cool effect, too. Besides that, the tumbling of the broken up planet fragments inside that star system was interesting.

I also think they paid some sort of homage to the way the original story's Constellation model SHOOK (badly) when filmed approaching the maw of the planet-killer near the climax: this time, it appeared as though the ship was simply "limping" slightly sideways (back and forth), but appropriately slower than simply A 1968 SCALE MODEL SHAKING ON A SOUNDSTAGE, as Kirk attempted to steer it into the thing from the limited controls in the auxiliary control room [battle bridge?]. Hmmmm............... Apparently that device did a lot more damage to the Constellation's engines than we originally thought, and even Scotty's temporary fix couldn't correct everything. That actually seems a realistic notion, to my mind.

I taped the episode, and now as I play back that sequence, that is the ONLY thing that I might (---MIGHT---) have a problem with. Otherwise, only the local/regional cutting of the story to fit into the 40-minute time allowed for 2007 commercial spots........... But then, we've already been informed that ALL of TOS episodes are being remasterd IN FULL (all 51 minutes/each episode), and they will [eventually] be released on DVD for us to enjoy them IN FULL. Now, I did notice that they kept the DESILU logo at the end of the closing musical theme, followed by a silent [no musical background theme under it] "CBS/PARAMOUNT" logo. That was interesting---and fun!

THE DOOMSDAY MACHINE is pure, classic Star Trek. No ifs, ands or buts. Yes: A+ on all counts, for this remastered show.

Edited by Rhett Coates, 12 February 2007 - 02:38 AM.

~~~ Regarding the woman EVE, in TOS episode "Mudd's Women" ~~~

KIRK: "There's only one kind of woman--"
HARRY MUDD: "--or man, for that matter--"
KIRK: "--You either believe in yourself, or you don't."

(Truer Star Trek words were never spoken.)

"Good words. That's where ideas begin." --David Marcus, in ST2:TWOK)

A quote spoken by Tom Hanks, portraying the Train conductor, near the end of the film The Polar Express, describes the secret to a fulfilled life in a nutshell: "One thing about trains: it doesn't really matter where they're going; what matters is deciding to get on." (Now, if more people lived by that adage, Gene Roddenberry's vision might come about a lot faster! -- RC)

Posted Image

#9 Radardog

Radardog

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 06:08 PM

BEST... EPISODE... EVER...

OK, maybe not, but this has been my favorite remastered episode thus far. My only complaint is when the shuttle was taking off. It looked like one of it's nacells just suddenly became weightless. Kinda weird.
Captain, I am not a merry man! - Worf "Qpid"

#10 DeAnn

DeAnn

Editor - HFO and FanMagazine - PR Team

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 02:29 AM

I agree with most everybody's assessment on this episode. Loved the realistic damage to the Constellation, the planetary debris that Enterprise was flying through and the way both ships were flying in outer space as they tried to manuever around the Doomsday Machine. Well done!!

DeAnn

#11 Kirok

Kirok

Publishing and Media Director, Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 07:04 AM

Just a random thing. I've found a video clip on YouTube made by Norman Spinrad where he candidly talks about the making of "The Doomsday machine" or "The Windsock dipped in Cement" as he calls it!

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=758fT5Ov590

K

Latest releases !!! ~ March 11 - HFO Personal Logs 2 ~ March 19 - PD Smith-Tales From the Fleet 01 : Species 571 ~ March 11 - Bruffy-NovaTrek06 : A Tale Of Two Captains, Pt 2 ~
Kirok of L'Stok - Director of Media ..... "I love deadlines! I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by!" - Douglas Adams

Posted Image

#12 Maco Captain

Maco Captain

Commodore

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 03:34 PM

Definitely an "A" for story and another "A" for CGI. Very well done CGI on this ep :thumbup:

#13 Captain Phoenix

Captain Phoenix

Petty Officer 1st Class

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 02:18 AM

"A" for story "A" for CGI. Phasers looked like they were made with MS Paint but the Doomsday machine looked good. And light coming from it looked good too. The story was great! Feel sorry for the commodore that he lost his crew...but he went crazy and killed himself. And Kirk almost died! Thank God for Scotty ;). Top 5 episodes! Maybe the best of all TOS!
In Captivity, in war, in peace, I will stand by my ship, and my crew, and never forget my duty as a Starfleet captain.

Keep Deep Space 9 alive!!! Sign this movie petition to make a Deep Space 9 movie!
http://www.petitiono...ed.cgi?ds9hrzns <<< CLICK AND SIGN <<<

#14 Captain Taurus

Captain Taurus

Warrant Officer 2nd Class

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 08:07 PM

Regardless of FX quality, it was a strong story. Excellent drama. It works on so many levels. The dangers of space exploration, dealing with a seemingly unstoppable enemy that cannot be reasoned or negotiated with. A captain’s worst nightmare, being the sole survivor of an attack that claimed the lives of his entire crew, his ship drifting through space, and emotionally traumatized.

Then dealing with the logistics of command as the Commodore commandeers the Enterprise to seek out the Doomsday Machine and destroy it. But ultimately the crew rally to save their ship and the Commodore does the only noble thing a Captain can do, he goes out fighting and goes down with his ship. The Doomsday Machine is no longer a threat.

I always thought that this show deserved to have a sequel. Can you picture it; the Doomsday Machine has been drifting through space for over 100 years since the Enterprise encountered it. A small planet explodes sending debris in all directions and then a small but sufficient amount go into the Doomsday Machine giving it life again. Then the Machine metamorphosis into something larger and uglier and deadlier. Only Picard and the crew of the Enterprise E can stop it!
Posted Image

#15 Gummy

Gummy

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 08:43 PM

I graded the episode an "A".
I thought the CGI could have been better so that got a "B".
Posted Image

#16 Captain Phoenix

Captain Phoenix

Petty Officer 1st Class

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 02:54 PM

I always thought that this show deserved to have a sequel. Can you picture it; the Doomsday Machine has been drifting through space for over 100 years since the Enterprise encountered it. A small planet explodes sending debris in all directions and then a small but sufficient amount go into the Doomsday Machine giving it life again. Then the Machine metamorphosis into something larger and uglier and deadlier. Only Picard and the crew of the Enterprise E can stop it!

Very amusing! And interesting. But would rather not have YET ANOTHER TNG movie. I'm kind of tired of it. TOS movie I can understand but they only have TOS an TNG. Voyager or Deep Space 9 ftw!
In Captivity, in war, in peace, I will stand by my ship, and my crew, and never forget my duty as a Starfleet captain.

Keep Deep Space 9 alive!!! Sign this movie petition to make a Deep Space 9 movie!
http://www.petitiono...ed.cgi?ds9hrzns <<< CLICK AND SIGN <<<

#17 louiskaty2

louiskaty2

Commodore

• Members
  • 572 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 01:03 PM

The best remastered episode A+!

Posted Image

I don't think any of the other remastered CGI enhanced the story the way this one did. Excellent work!

Note: If anyone thinks there is a better remastered episode please let me know, so I can watch it right away.
Gone...

#18 Greystone

Greystone

Master Warrant Officer

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:47 PM

It's always been one of my favourites this but as I've aged I've realised it's flawed from the moment Decker takes command of the Enterprise.

McCoy: I can't cetify this man as unfit to command...

Me: What?

McCoy: I haven't had chance to run a full medical on him.

Me: Sorry? Just a minute, this is a guy who has just lost his ship, had to impotently listen to his crew begging for help, (that's enough to push anybody to the precipice in itself, but hang on, he's not finished yet), now he's proposing to do the exact same thing again, with another ship and crew. Now I'm no Starfleet Dr but I think at this point I'd be going out on a limb and saying something like:

Sir, it is clear to me that you have suffered a staggering mental trauma, until you have submitted yourself to a full physical and mental evaluation, I relieve you of duty on my authority as Chief Medical Officer of the Enterprise. You may file a complaint to Captain Kirk on his return, but you are relieved. Mr Spock, you have command.

What is the point of the Dr having the power to relieve the Captain if the subject must agree to a medical before the action can be sanctioned? None at all the subject can just refuse the medical and the action is cancelled.

I'll still give it a B because I love the episode but I can't get past the above. A for the new CGI.

Edited by Greystone, 04 November 2011 - 02:49 PM.

#19 jonathan

jonathan

Lieutenant Commander

• Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:29 AM

a

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users