Photo

What's Cooking ?

370 replies to this topic

#21 Russell Crowe

Russell Crowe

• Members
  • 45,874 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 03:13 PM

I have a lot of recipes I love.. but none of them are written down. Everything I cook is either from a recipe in my head, from "eyeballing" it, or from just plain making it up as I go along :P I'll share a few as soon as I codify them... my best recipes are top-secret, though ;)
Have you reckon'd a thousand acres much? have you reckon'd the
earth much? Have you practis'd so long to learn to read?
Have you felt so proud to get at the meaning of poems?
Stop this day and night with me and you shall possess the origin of
all poems...

#22 Russell Crowe

Russell Crowe

• Members
  • 45,874 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 03:40 PM

Thought you guys might appreciate this :P

KLINGON RECIPES.
BY MIKE RICHARDSON-BRYAN

- - - -

Vegetarian Lasagna
SERVES 4-8

Invite a vegetarian over for tea. Politely inquire about his degenerate lifestyle in order to lull him into a false sense of security. When he lowers his guard, beat him to death with a sack of phone books.

Cook vegetarian over medium heat until brown. Remove from heat and stir in pasta sauce, onion, garlic powder, basil, and oregano. Return to low heat to simmer. Cook, drain, and rinse noodles. In a baking dish, layer in noodles, sauce, and cheese. Bake covered with foil at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes or until top layer of cheese is bubbling. Let cool for 10 minutes, then serve and enjoy.

Afterward, discreetly dispose of the vegetarian's belongings and wipe down the house from top to bottom.

Home-Style Gagh
SERVES 1-2

Find someone who has already prepared some home-style gagh. Kill him/her in honorable combat and take his/her gagh. Serve cold and enjoy.

Heart of Targ

SERVES 1

Retreat to the solitude of the wilderness. Contemplate what it means to be a man and come to terms with your shortcomings as a son, a husband, and/or a father. Play a drum if it helps. Thus centered, you are ready for Step 2. Contemplate the targ until your mind opens and you realize that consuming the heart of a wild animal is nothing more than a romantic metaphor and that the targ's spirit (or "mana") will not transfer to you no matter how succulent its heart may be. Armed with this new awareness, return to the city and order a three-meat pizza to sate your hunger. You, the targ, and the universe are now one.

Thing on a Stick
(a.k.a. Bachelor's Delight)
SERVES 1

Impale something on a sharpened stick. Cook over a pile of burning tires until bored. Serve hot and enjoy.

Tribble Nuggets
SERVES 1 PLATOON

Preset disruptor to "incinerize."

Identify a tribble infestation. Scramble your forces and surround the affected area with a ring of thermal mines reinforced by autoguns with overlapping fields of fire. Once secure, saturate the area with plasma mortars and spicy barbecue sauce. Assess bomb damage and repeat as necessary. When satisfied, sweep the area with squads and mop up any remaining resistance. Retrieve charred tribble carcasses and stomp or pound into nuggets. Serve hot and enjoy.

If desired, commission an opera to celebrate your glorious triumph over the loathsome tribble menace.

Have you reckon'd a thousand acres much? have you reckon'd the
earth much? Have you practis'd so long to learn to read?
Have you felt so proud to get at the meaning of poems?
Stop this day and night with me and you shall possess the origin of
all poems...

#23 mlaz

mlaz

blisfully clueless

• Members
  • 10,334 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 04:15 PM

:roflmao: I once had some nice meals made from a star trek cook book. Some out of the neelix on and a lot more out of an earlyer one...
pictures are here:
http://www.federatio...ry.php?map=0026

http://www.federatio...ry.php?map=0033
"Tell me and I'll forget, Show me and I might remember, Involve me and I'll understand"
Posted Image . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Posted Image
"I believe in humanity. We are an incredible species. We're still just a child creature, we're still being nasty to each other, all children go through those phases. We're growing up, we're moving into adolescence now. When we grow up,man,we're going to be something!"Gene Roddenberry 9/4/85

#24 Trekbean

Trekbean

Admiral In Charge Of All Things Chocolate

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 3,959 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 05:28 PM

I have to say, I've had some really, really bad experiences with the Star Trek cookbook. Whenever I mention Plomeek soup, my family starts moaning and holding their stomachs. The Deanna Troi chocolate cake is something that lives in my baking career as the most solid chunk of chocolate that called itself a cake. Somehow, I even managed to screw up Tim Russ's scrambled eggs....which somehow solidified themselves into rubber.
"A towel is the singularly most important thing a hitchhiker can own....."

God is Dead.
Arizona. Hotter than a motherPhloxer. -Adam Levine

CHOCOHOLIC

Posted Image

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

Marriage = Love

#25 Captain_Hair

Captain_Hair

Master of all things, jack of none

• VIP
  • 50,337 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 08:09 PM

Cant say Im a big fan of German chocolate...

Yeah, probably because you are a HUGE fan of German chocolate... LOL

German chocolate cake is from Texas.

Posted Image

#26 TimBrazeal

TimBrazeal

Hell Yeah

• Members
  • 4,693 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 09:25 PM

Well I was born and raised in the great state.. could explain why the German Chocolate Cake was bigger and better there.. ;)

Posted Image

Posted Image

IMDB Profile

"Never doubt the power of small group of committed individuals to change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." — Margaret Mead

Power is Corrupt - Absolute Power is Kinda Cool!

#27 AdmiralRooster

AdmiralRooster

The Great And Powerful Rooster

• Members
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 12:42 PM

I guess that explains why I dont like it

#28 mlaz

mlaz

blisfully clueless

• Members
  • 10,334 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 04:37 PM

strange... german cake from texas.
the world is an amazingly strange place.
So it was sunday and I had some chicken things left from my cooking yesterday.
So I made chickensoup

Ingredients:

* leftovers of the chicken
* 200 g uncooked diced chicken meat
* 1 leek (or 2 spring onions) (Sliced into thin diagonal rings).
* 1 small red chilli (deseeded and chopped into thin diagonal rings).
* 1 cub yellow paprica (deseeded and chopped).
* 2 stalks cutting celery (or flat-leafed parsley) (finely chopped).
* 2 tablespoons corn oil
* 1 bay leaf
* 1 can corn or some fresh corn if available.
* some fresh thyme
* some fresh rosemary
* freshly milled salt and pepper

Preparation
Boil 1 litre of water in a pan when it boils put in the leftovers of the chicken, bay leaf, thyme and rosemary to make the broth.

Cooking
Heat the oil in a deep frying pan. Sauté the white rings of the leek or spring onions till nicely brown. Add the chilli slices and diced chicken and stir-fry till the chicken turns golden brown. Pour in the hot broth from the pan, add the chicken stock and bring the soup up to a boil.

Using a hand blender, purée the corn till it has a smooth consistency. Stir it into the soup and bring it up to the boil stirring all the while. Add the green rings of the leek or spring onions and bring back to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.

Season to taste with salt and pepper and stir in the finely chopped celery or parsley.
Tips

This soup is even tastier served with corn bread and salted butter, or bread and guacamole.
"Tell me and I'll forget, Show me and I might remember, Involve me and I'll understand"
Posted Image . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Posted Image
"I believe in humanity. We are an incredible species. We're still just a child creature, we're still being nasty to each other, all children go through those phases. We're growing up, we're moving into adolescence now. When we grow up,man,we're going to be something!"Gene Roddenberry 9/4/85

#29 jespah

jespah

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

• Global Moderators
  • 4,896 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 05:01 PM

I've been making a lot of focaccia and will have to dig around for the recipe. For baked goods, you need more precision so that they turn out all right. Cooking is a lot more improvisational.

I also stir-fry and make soups, both of which are improvisational, lots of tossing in whatever's around. Here's a real recipe, for --

Potatoes au Gratin

2 or 3 large potatoes, enough to fill a moderate-sized baking dish (for more people, use more; for fewer, use less)
2 - 4 scallions
splash of skim milk (any other type of milk is fine, I like skim as the rest of the dish is rather rich)
1 package shredded cheddar cheese or shred your own cheese, about 4 - 6 oz. of it
tiny splash of olive oil, enough to coat the bottom of the dish

1) Coat the bottom of the dish with a little olive oil
2) Thinly slice the scallions, both green and white parts.
3) Thinly slice the potatoes, on a mandoline if you own one. Layer into the dish and nuke for 5 or 6 minutes on high. You want the potatoes fairly soft but they need not be cooked through and through.
4) Layer in the cheese and scallions, try to alternate and spread around so that it's not just a gob of cheese on top of all of the potatoes.
5) Splash the milk on top, try to get some on the exposed surfaces on the top.
6) Finish by baking in a warm oven until cheese is brown. Since the potatoes are essentially done, you only need to go a few minutes in the oven and it does not need to be that hot, so it's okay if you do this at the end of using the oven for something else (say, if you were making a chicken or something). If you don't want to turn on the oven, the dish can be finished with 2 - 3 minutes in the microwave but the cheese will not brown.

Alternatives:
  • try Monterey Jack cheese instead of cheddar.
  • try using a true cheese sauce instead of shredded - slowly cook a half cup of milk together on the top of the stove with a clove of garlic and a bay leaf. After the milk boils, drain it and discard the garlic and bay leaf. Stir in shredded cheese until smooth (you may need to add a little corn starch or flour if the mixture is too soupy). Pour over potato and scallion mixture and bake.
  • try veggies other than potatoes. I haven't tried this but I suspect that turnips or beets could be cooked this way, but they would probably require more pre-nuking time. Parsnips and carrots could also work but, since they would be sweeter, you might want to add more scallions

Honk if you love silence.

Ordinary Trek Citizen and not much bigger than a bread box

Posted Image

#30 mlaz

mlaz

blisfully clueless

• Members
  • 10,334 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 05:13 PM

:unsure: what does nuking mean?

#31 sevnson_71

sevnson_71

TU Forum Manager - Resident killjoy

• Forum Administrators
  • 13,613 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 05:22 PM

:unsure: what does nuking mean?

Microwave :P
Posted Image

So the combination is 1-2-3-4-5. That's the stupidest combination I've ever heard in my life! That's the kind of thing an idiot would have on his luggage!- Dark Helmet; "Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark; "Half the world is composed of people who have something to say and can't, and the other half who have nothing to say and keep on saying it." -Robert Frost; "It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." - Samuel Adams, Brewer/Patriot
FORUM RULES

#32 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

Player of all things Warcraft

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 01:12 PM

Vegetarian Lasagna
SERVES 4-8

Invite a vegetarian over for tea. Politely inquire about his degenerate lifestyle in order to lull him into a false sense of security. When he lowers his guard, beat him to death with a sack of phone books.

Cook vegetarian over medium heat until brown. Remove from heat and stir in pasta sauce, onion, garlic powder, basil, and oregano. Return to low heat to simmer. Cook, drain, and rinse noodles. In a baking dish, layer in noodles, sauce, and cheese. Bake covered with foil at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes or until top layer of cheese is bubbling. Let cool for 10 minutes, then serve and enjoy.

Afterward, discreetly dispose of the vegetarian's belongings and wipe down the house from top to bottom.

I am never going to your house! :fear: :lol:

#33 mlaz

mlaz

blisfully clueless

• Members
  • 10,334 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 01:29 PM

Vegetarian Lasagna
Posted Image
Ingredients:
1 box frozen chopped spinach (fresh tasts better but its not the season)
2 cups zucchini or broccoli (chopped and cooked)
1/4 cup butter
2 cloves garlic, (finely chopped)
1 medium onion, (finely chopped)
1 pound mushrooms (finely sliced)
1/4 cup flour
2 cups milk
2 teaspoons basil
1 teaspoon oregano
1 1/4 cup grated Parmesan, divided
3 cups tomato sauce
1 1/2 cup grated mozzarella
9 cooked whole wheat Lasagne noodles

Directions:

Cook spinach, drain and squeeze out extra moisture. Set aside. Saute garlic and onion in butter until softened. Add mushrooms, cook for about 2 minutes or until lightly browned. Add flour, cook, stirring for another minute. Add milk, stirring constantly and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, simmer a couple of minutes. Add basil, oregano, 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, spinach and zucchini or broccoli. Spread 1/3 of tomato sauce in 9 x 13 inch pan. Cover with layer of noodles. Add 1/3 of vegetable sauce.
Repeat layers, finishing with vegetable sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan cheese on top. Bake at 350F for 45 mins or until top is golden.

This recipe for Vegetarian Lasagne serves/makes 6

:unsure: officialy :unsure:

#34 Trekbean

Trekbean

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 3,959 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 06:34 PM

AH! Yummy!! I LOVE Potatos Au Gratin and Vegetarian Lasagna. Life. Ees. Goot. :) *Trip Tucker Twist*

God is Dead.

CHOCOHOLIC

Posted Image

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

Marriage = Love

#35 sevnson_71

sevnson_71

TU Forum Manager - Resident killjoy

• Forum Administrators
  • 13,613 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 10:44 PM

Okay, this is my favorite recipe for New England Clam Chowder :drool:
Posted Image
Posted Image

So the combination is 1-2-3-4-5. That's the stupidest combination I've ever heard in my life! That's the kind of thing an idiot would have on his luggage!- Dark Helmet; "Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark; "Half the world is composed of people who have something to say and can't, and the other half who have nothing to say and keep on saying it." -Robert Frost; "It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." - Samuel Adams, Brewer/Patriot
FORUM RULES

#36 aklaus

aklaus

Overanalyzinator ~~ Countdown Dumpster Diver

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 36,757 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 12:44 AM

To answer the question in this thread's title...cooking is when you mix different kinds of food and sometimes add heat to make more complicated food :P

#37 mlaz

mlaz

blisfully clueless

• Members
  • 10,334 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 02:49 PM

:clap: great :clap:

talking about food somewhere else this is one of my favs to
Dutch Pannenkoek (crèpe) with bacon, banana's and ginger
Ingredients:
2 small pieces syrope ginger
1 banana
50 g smoked bacon
some melted butter

For Pannenkoek Mixture:

8 tbsp flower
9 tbsp milk
1 egg
50 g vegetable oil

Directions:
For Pannenkoek:

1. Mix milk,vegetable oil, flower and egg. Beat for about 5 minutes for a slightly thin mixture
2. Put a very thin layer of the melted butter in a small frying/crepe pan
3. Add the thin slices of bacon till it is slightly brown
4. Add a very thin layer of the flower mix in, folowed with the banana and ginger.
5. After a few minutes turn the pannenkoek and bake the other half.

Edited by mlaz, 08 February 2007 - 03:01 PM.

#38 Trekbean

Trekbean

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 3,959 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 03:30 PM

To answer the question in this thread's title...cooking is when you mix different kinds of food and sometimes add heat to make more complicated food :P

Obviously, Aklaus is a gourmet cook, using her finely tuned palate to create masterpeices and works of art that may or may not be 'complicated'. :P

That cracked me up m'dear!!! It just sounded so....cold cereal. :lol:

God is Dead.

CHOCOHOLIC

Posted Image

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

Marriage = Love

#39 TheClown

TheClown

Pastafarian Black Belt Priest

• Members
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 09:33 AM

African Peanut Soup

INGREDIENTS
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 medium onions, chopped
  • 2 large red bell peppers, chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes, with liquid
  • 8 cups vegetable broth or stock
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
  • 2/3 cup extra crunchy peanut butter
  • 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
DIRECTIONS
  • Heat oil in a large stock pot over medium high heat. Cook onions and bell peppers until lightly browned and tender, stirring in garlic when almost done to prevent burning. Stir in tomatoes, vegetable stock, pepper, and chili powder. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
  • Stir in rice, cover, and simmer another fifteen minutes or until rice is tender. Stir in peanut butter until well blended, and serve.

Edited by boris, 09 February 2007 - 09:33 AM.

" I see the world thru the eyes of a clown " - boris (me)

Posted Image

The Clown Stories

#40 jjcj

jjcj

Vice Admiral

• Members
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 04:39 PM

This is a family favorite from New Mexico. :)

Stacked Enchiladas

1/2 cup finely chopped onion
2 tablespoons lard or butter
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/2 cup milk
1 4 ounce can green chili peppers, drained and chopped (1/3 cup) (we sometimes use bell peppers instead)
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups diced cooked beef (or ground beef)
2 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped (1 cup)
8 corn tortillas (we use flour tortillas)
1/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese (4 ounces)

In skillet cook onion in lard till tender but not brown. Blend in flour. Add milk, chili peppers, and salt. Cook, stirring constantly, till thick and bubbly. Stir in beef and tomatoes; heat through; keep warm.

In small skillet heat tortillas, one at a time, in hot oil till limp, about 15 seconds per side. Drain on paper toweling.

Place a hot tortilla in 9x9x2" baking pan. Top with about 1/4 cup beef misture and a small amount of cheese. Repeat with remaining tortillas, beef mixture, and cheese to make a stack. Bake at 350F till hot, about 20 min. Unstack to serve. (Although, we have just cut it in wedges, like a pie. :) )

Recipe from Better Homes and Gardens Heritage Cookbook.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users