MGM Greenlights New Stargate Movies for TV & DVD

9 replies to this topic

#1 Borg Queen

Borg Queen

Commodore

• Members
  • 725 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 04:16 PM

Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc. (MGM) has extended the STARGATE SG-1 franchise with two movies based on the popular series. Titled STARGATE: THE ARK OF TRUTH and STARGATE: CONTINUUM, the movies will both be made available to TV and home entertainment by MGM...

Click here for full story

can't wait
AWC-WARRIOR
Never give up. Never surrender.
Posted Image
(\_/)
(0.0)
(> <)
O__O

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 yeshluvstrip

yeshluvstrip

4th Year Cadet

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 11:31 PM

That is soooooooooooo good. Best news I've has all day! Thanks. :thumbup:

#3 RogueEntity

RogueEntity

::Resident Dragon::

• Members
  • 7,369 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 04:47 AM

Yeah, with the movies going straight to TV as well, MGM or SciFi channel wont be able to stagger the release of the movies, since they will probably be released on DVD after they come out on TV in the US, they will have to be shown here too if they want to avoid people like myself a) watching the movie on the internet or b ) buying the Region1 DVD and watching it here (that is what I did with Surface).

Regardless, the first film is supposed to be the much-needed end of Season 10 which I cannot wait to see anymore then I can wait to see the remaining SG-1 episodes (pretty sure most people here have seen the episodes already thanks to YouTube and its ilk )
"Difficult takes a few seconds; impossible, a few minutes" - McKay

#4 aussie trek mom

aussie trek mom

Vice Admiral

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 07:02 AM

I am sooooooooo excited over that news. After learning that it had been axed, i am totally relieved to hear we are getting a couple of movies

#5 ticktrek

ticktrek

Commander of Starfleet

• Members
  • 2,573 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 06:56 PM

Yeah, with the movies going straight to TV as well, MGM or SciFi channel wont be able to stagger the release of the movies, since they will probably be released on DVD after they come out on TV in the US, they will have to be shown here too if they want to avoid people like myself a) watching the movie on the internet or b ) buying the Region1 DVD and watching it here (that is what I did with Surface).

After having to watch Enterprise on the computer, I'm reluctant to do that anymore.
Connorseurs do it with Cuteness
"Let's make sure history never forgets the name: Enterprise."
-- Captain Jean-Luc Picard , TNG 163

Posted Image

#6 Kyle Nin

Kyle Nin

Pick Your Own Title

• Members
  • 7,377 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 11:27 AM

It has just been announced that Stargate: The Ark of Truth will be released early next year, instead of this fall. And Stargate: Continuum will be released afterwards, sometime later in 2008. MGM says that they have plans to do TWO direct-to-DVD SG-1 movies every year, if the DVD movies The Ark of Truth and Continuum do well.

Edited by Kyle Nin, 25 June 2007 - 11:31 AM.

Posted Image
Leverage -- Season 5 on DVD Coming September 17th

"The numbers are bad! The numbers are bad!" -- Hugo "Hurley" Reyes, Lost - Season 1
"Boone's death was a sacrifice that the island demanded." -- John Locke, Lost - Season 2
"When was it you lost your imagination, son?" -- Dr. Walter Bishop, Fringe - Season 1

#7 lwallace2

lwallace2

Vice Admiral

• Members
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 12:00 PM

MGM says that they have plans to do TWO direct-to-DVD SG-1 movies every year, if the DVD movies The Ark of Truth and Continuum do well.

SWEET!!! So, how many copies of these DVDs do you think we should all buy? LOL ;)

#8 lwallace2

lwallace2

Vice Admiral

• Members
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 12:31 PM

Hey I just thought of a question about this...

I'm not really educated about how this direct-to-dvd thing works. They will make more movies if the 2 that they're doing now "do well." How exactly do they measure that? Is it mainly based on purchases of the DVDs or does it also make an impact if you rent it from Blockbuster or Netflix or something like that? I'm happy to make a purchase if that makes the biggest impact on their decision to do future movies. But normally I would just "netflix it." (I assume this kind of thing would be available through Netflix...?)

#9 Kyle Nin

Kyle Nin

Pick Your Own Title

• Members
  • 7,377 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 12:58 PM

Hey I just thought of a question about this...

I'm not really educated about how this direct-to-dvd thing works. They will make more movies if the 2 that they're doing now "do well." How exactly do they measure that? Is it mainly based on purchases of the DVDs or does it also make an impact if you rent it from Blockbuster or Netflix or something like that? I'm happy to make a purchase if that makes the biggest impact on their decision to do future movies. But normally I would just "netflix it." (I assume this kind of thing would be available through Netflix...?)

I think it would "do well" if it made a considerable profit.
Posted Image
Leverage -- Season 5 on DVD Coming September 17th

"The numbers are bad! The numbers are bad!" -- Hugo "Hurley" Reyes, Lost - Season 1
"Boone's death was a sacrifice that the island demanded." -- John Locke, Lost - Season 2
"When was it you lost your imagination, son?" -- Dr. Walter Bishop, Fringe - Season 1

#10 lwallace2

lwallace2

Vice Admiral

• Members
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 03:54 PM

I think it would "do well" if it made a considerable profit.

well, right... but i guess what i'm wondering is how video rental companies factor in to that profit... take Netflix for example, just cuz that's who i use to rent my stuff. so does netflix have a SET number of copies available, or is it flexible so that it might increase if the demand is higher than they expected? i would think maybe it would be the latter so they can try to meet demands as evenly as possible. people don't want to wait forever for a copy to become available. so if lots of people request a copy, and lots of people request a copy multiple times, then maybe Netflix would order more copies, which would obviously increase MGM's profits. but obviously BUYING a copy would have a bigger impact than RENTING a copy, because when you're renting you are essentially sharing that copy with others, so you're not putting as much money in MGM's bank account.

i guess i sort of answered my own question! well, i'm still just curious to know how much of an impact video rentals have on the bottom line, if anyone knows.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users