Photo

The Animated Series as Canon

36 replies to this topic

Poll: The Animated Series as Canon (27 member(s) have cast votes)

Is ST: TAS part of the accepted "Canon" of Trek Continuity?

1. Yes, it is legitimate Trek (16 votes [59.26%])

Percentage of vote: 59.26%

2. No, it is just a cartoon (8 votes [29.63%])

Percentage of vote: 29.63%

3. Undecided, would need to see them again to figure that out. (3 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Trek Realist

Trek Realist

Amicus Hostis

• Members
  • 7,706 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 05:28 PM

Everyone's favourite fight has been given some new life and new fuel for the fire with the release of the DVD boxset for The Animated Series. So, lets have a little debate on this:

Personally, I think it is Canon

...... Go :D
Atheism is not a religion. It is a personal relationship with reality.

Quis custodiet ipso custodes

My Blog

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 Radardog

Radardog

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 11:16 PM

I haven't seen more than maybe one episode, but the episode descriptions make it sound like they probably shouldn't be.

Fun for kids and TOS fans, but most likely shouldn't be canon. At least, not entirely.
Captain, I am not a merry man! - Worf "Qpid"

#3 Trek Realist

Trek Realist

Amicus Hostis

• Members
  • 7,706 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 10:46 AM

There is only one aspect of the Animated Series that I would have a problem integrating into the mainstream of Trek Canon, and that would be the Larry Niven episode "The Slaver Weapon".

Larry Niven is an amazing writer who has contributed to the genre of Science Fiction in a major way with his Ringworld series, and an amazing array of short stories. The unfortunate thing is that he included central tenets of his own creations into the Trek universe, namely The Kzinti and The Slavers. For all the other episodes there are ideas that have either flowed through, or flowed from these stories into the films and other Trek series.

My Blog

#4 ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike

Fleet Admiral

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 2,497 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 06:05 PM

Future Star Trek writers could make TAS canon with a few keystokes and refer to some of these events, races and places only seen before in 2-D. Like a few live action adventures, there are plot holes you could fit a photon torpedo through but that doesn't make it any less fun to watch. Who knows maybe in the future, these old Filmation visuals will be replaced? 'Yesteryear' would certainly look magnificent given a 'Final Fantasy' style makeover with CGI models of Spock, the Selah and a Vulcan planetscape consistant with TMP: DE and ENT.

#5 Trek Realist

Trek Realist

Amicus Hostis

• Members
  • 7,706 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 10:45 AM

If you check the special features in the boxset they include a great deal of references to material that has been referred to in subsequent series. Things like the Holodeck, the Caitian race, Vulcan's Forge, and many others.

Although, I think redoing TAS in that Final Fantasy way would be ultra-cool :thumbsup:

My Blog

#6 warpich89

warpich89

1st Year Cadet

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 07:34 PM

TAS is cannon??? dont to make socs laught!!!
Death of one man - is tragedy, death of million peoples - statics. (Stalin)

#7 Trek Realist

Trek Realist

Amicus Hostis

• Members
  • 7,706 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 12:09 PM

Well, when you have Dorothy Fontana and David Gerrold saying that the animiated episodes were developed from scripts intended for the fourth season of TOS, that tends to lend a bit more creedence to the "it's canon" arguement

My Blog

#8 Rhett Coates

Rhett Coates

Commodore

• Members
  • 631 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 07:52 PM

Well, when you have Dorothy Fontana and David Gerrold saying that the animiated episodes were developed from scripts intended for the fourth season of TOS, that tends to lend a bit more creedence to the "it's canon" arguement

That is another major point. There are multiple threads here on TU that cover this issue, and some of them have been touched on in THIS thread already, as well. They are:

~~James TIBERIOUS Kirk: "Tiberius" was first heard in TAS.
~~THE FORGE, that barren, DANGEROUS desert area of Vulcan began in TAS, then was seen in ENT.
~~Caitians. They were on TAS (M'Ress), and then seen in the fourth MOVIE, sitting in the Federation Council. That is according to Paramount sources, who are said to have created these Federation Council Members as an homage to M'Ress's species in TAS.

There's more; I only got 3 hours of sleep last night---coming home from a LOOOOOOOOONG trip out of state, and then worked 9 hours today 'back home. :upsidedown:

I'll attempt to look up the other references I've seen and/or read, and re-post here again afterwards---unless others beat me to it. And I hope you do!

~~JJ Abrams has said that his writing team for ST11 might serious consider some of TAS as canon, should any of it support whatever story they write for the new movie. If that comes to pass, it will be yet another direct link to ST:TAS.

Edited by Rhett Coates, 06 December 2006 - 07:53 PM.

~~~ Regarding the woman EVE, in TOS episode "Mudd's Women" ~~~

KIRK: "There's only one kind of woman--"
HARRY MUDD: "--or man, for that matter--"
KIRK: "--You either believe in yourself, or you don't."

(Truer Star Trek words were never spoken.)

"Good words. That's where ideas begin." --David Marcus, in ST2:TWOK)

A quote spoken by Tom Hanks, portraying the Train conductor, near the end of the film The Polar Express, describes the secret to a fulfilled life in a nutshell: "One thing about trains: it doesn't really matter where they're going; what matters is deciding to get on." (Now, if more people lived by that adage, Gene Roddenberry's vision might come about a lot faster! -- RC)

Posted Image

#9 Trek Realist

Trek Realist

Amicus Hostis

• Members
  • 7,706 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 03:03 PM

I know there are multiple theads that discuss TAS as canon on the site, this one should just focus on the comments and opinions made in the special features of the recently released TAS boxset :)

My Blog

#10 Trekker

Trekker

Fleet Admiral

• Members
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 06:37 PM

I think its legit, I think it just adds to the saga
Posted ImagePosted Image

#11 Radardog

Radardog

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 04:46 PM

There have been elements of the TAS that have been adopted into canon, but I'd say that the series as a whole is not accepted.
Captain, I am not a merry man! - Worf "Qpid"

#12 GARY SEVEN

GARY SEVEN

4th Year Cadet

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 02:03 AM

it's interesting but, not a perfect fit.......remember....we only got 3 years and tas out of the 5..........too much value to dismiss.... :vulcan:
miss uhura, we are not involved in gambling...spock

jordi, i cannot stun my cat....data

Dor-sHo GHA!....worf

#13 Trekker

Trekker

Fleet Admiral

• Members
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 04:30 PM

I agree Gary, I don't think that it is any less trek than other series, some episodes were better than some of the episodes we do have in the canon
Posted ImagePosted Image

#14 Trek Realist

Trek Realist

Amicus Hostis

• Members
  • 7,706 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 12:47 AM

Despite the fact that they couldn't (or didn't) get Michael Ansara or John Colicos to reprise their roles as Kang and Kor, they did manage to get the actors who played Harry Mudd and Cyrano Jones to reprise their roles. That is an added nod to continuity (sorry, I just couldn't remember the actor's names)

My Blog

#15 The Star Treker

The Star Treker

Commander

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 03:09 PM

I believe it is part of the canon because some ways it is technically Season Fourth of TOS. I have seen some episodes of it and I liked it.

#16 Rick S

Rick S

Commodore

• Members
  • 509 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 03:34 PM

I tend to agree with you,

even though I've only seen a few TAS episodes ... I liked the quality of them.

and I firmly believe it should be considered canon.
I'm back. LOL.

#17 Trekker

Trekker

Fleet Admiral

• Members
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 09:57 PM

That is another major point. There are multiple threads here on TU that cover this issue, and some of them have been touched on in THIS thread already, as well. They are:

~~James TIBERIOUS Kirk: "Tiberius" was first heard in TAS.
~~THE FORGE, that barren, DANGEROUS desert area of Vulcan began in TAS, then was seen in ENT.
~~Caitians. They were on TAS (M'Ress), and then seen in the fourth MOVIE, sitting in the Federation Council. That is according to Paramount sources, who are said to have created these Federation Council Members as an homage to M'Ress's species in TAS.

There's more; I only got 3 hours of sleep last night---coming home from a LOOOOOOOOONG trip out of state, and then worked 9 hours today 'back home. :upsidedown:

I'll attempt to look up the other references I've seen and/or read, and re-post here again afterwards---unless others beat me to it. And I hope you do!

~~JJ Abrams has said that his writing team for ST11 might serious consider some of TAS as canon, should any of it support whatever story they write for the new movie. If that comes to pass, it will be yet another direct link to ST:TAS.

I don't see why there is any problem counting it as full canon, what is holding it up
Posted ImagePosted Image

#18 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Pick Your Own Title

• Members
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 12:37 PM

Oh ho! This old chestnut! :naughty3dg:

I think this one comes down to matters of opinion. I hated the cartoon series. I thought it was 'Trek-Lite' for kiddies and I pretty much ignored it.

So, no, I don't think it's canon, but that's just MHO. ;)

#19 Trekker

Trekker

Fleet Admiral

• Members
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 04:18 PM

I don't see why you would consider it light, look at all the parts of the canon we have from TAS
Posted ImagePosted Image

#20 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Pick Your Own Title

• Members
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 07:09 AM

^^^Whatever subsequently got absorbed into canon from TAS, I still regard TAS as dumbed-down Trek for kids and the TAS stories not canon. For instance, I never refer to TAS when I'm writing fan fiction.

It's just my opinion Ok? Since the thread asked the question.... :rolleyes:

Edited by JulesLuvsShinzon, 30 December 2006 - 07:09 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users