Photo

The Animated Series as Canon

36 replies to this topic

Poll: The Animated Series as Canon (27 member(s) have cast votes)

Is ST: TAS part of the accepted "Canon" of Trek Continuity?

1. Yes, it is legitimate Trek (16 votes [59.26%])

Percentage of vote: 59.26%

2. No, it is just a cartoon (8 votes [29.63%])

Percentage of vote: 29.63%

3. Undecided, would need to see them again to figure that out. (3 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Trekker

Trekker

Fleet Admiral

• Members
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 12:04 PM

I am not trying to pry your opinion from you I just want to see why you consider it non-canon, and you answered that
Posted ImagePosted Image

#22 Captain Picard

Captain Picard

Ensign

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 08:05 AM

Personally, I think it is Canon

Personally to me, never mind, canon it whether or not...
It Star Trek, that is important :busted_cop:

#23 warstarcerberus

warstarcerberus

1st Year Cadet

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 09:13 AM

the two coolest were the three armed crewman and the girl that was from a race of cat people .
i thought she was in a movie and i have to wonder if they use there tail,s to show love like real cat,s do.
like to pet that kitty the right way. remmeber if you pet the cat the wrong way?,
they will bite and claw so allway,s pet your kitty with the grain haha.
have also heard that some of the episodes were from the unshot fourth season.
did baltar voice the kilngons??.[commander kor??}

more than i will pay. 44 buck,s but hope the sci-fi channel will show them[hint hint] love my t-vo.

go bears

your warstar buddy.
the mighty cerberus

Edited by warstarcerberus, 01 February 2007 - 09:15 AM.

if you can read this thank a teacher!,
if you can read this in english? thank a vet!.

EARTH ??that,s just a fable. ;count baltar in lost planet of the god,s'

stop looking at my can!!. ;dot matrix in spaceball,s['

#24 Madame President

Madame President

Confused, as a general rule

• Members
  • 5,856 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 02:10 AM

I have always heard and understood that the Animated Series wasn't canon. Although, I am willing to be open to the fact that I have wrong info because I am not completely submersed in the trek universe. By the way, are they any good?
"Only Nixon can go to China." -Vulcan Proverb

Landru: are you of the Body?

Proud to be a member of SANITY

#25 Stevie

Stevie

Fleet Admiral

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 12:10 PM

I don't understand how TAS ISN'T accepted as canon. It's set aboard the Enterprise...it features all but one of the original actors from the show, but yes, it's in cartoon form. This was the best way to keep Star Trek on air back then, so Gene intended it to be canon. Not accepting something as canon just because it's animated is ridiculous. Afterall, all of Star Trek's special effects are animated too, with CGI or whatever. The Enterprise fires a weapon, you accept that as canon, but then if the same weapon is hand drawn, that's not REAL CANON? Pfft..do me a favor!
"You may say i'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one" - John Lennon - "Imagine"

Somewhere in the night, inside my dreams you burn so bright, and I'm with you there and everything's alright. - Scott Bakula - "Somewhere in the night"

The secret of life is a good cuppa' coffee, the secret of life's keep ya eye on the ball, the secret of life is there's no secret at all! - Faith Hill - "The secret of life"

#26 Captain_Hair

Captain_Hair

Master of all things, jack of none

• VIP
  • 50,337 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 12:56 PM

I don't understand how TAS ISN'T accepted as canon. It's set aboard the Enterprise...it features all but one of the original actors from the show, but yes, it's in cartoon form. This was the best way to keep Star Trek on air back then, so Gene intended it to be canon. Not accepting something as canon just because it's animated is ridiculous. Afterall, all of Star Trek's special effects are animated too, with CGI or whatever. The Enterprise fires a weapon, you accept that as canon, but then if the same weapon is hand drawn, that's not REAL CANON? Pfft..do me a favor!

Except that Roddenberry has said that he didn't want TAS to be considered canon. ;)

Posted Image

#27 WeatherManNX01

WeatherManNX01

Sir Sexy - USA! USA! USA!

• Members
  • 26,110 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 02:49 PM

Except that Roddenberry has said that he didn't want TAS to be considered canon. ;)

That's what I thought.

Now of course, things from TAS have become canon over the years. For the Vulcan arc on Enterprise they took ideas and items from TAS and used them in the story, thereby making them canon. And now with "Amok Time" done in TOSR we've seen Spock's hometown in the background of one of the new graphics. By virtue of being included in subsequent live-action Trek, TAS is slowly (and partially) becoming canon.

Posted Image

#28 Stevie

Stevie

Fleet Admiral

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 11:19 PM

Well then..why didn't someone tell me this before I got on my high horse? lmao!

Seriously, I'll always consider it as canon..no matter what the great bird says, even though I can hardly sit through the DVD's..lol!

"You may say i'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one" - John Lennon - "Imagine"

Somewhere in the night, inside my dreams you burn so bright, and I'm with you there and everything's alright. - Scott Bakula - "Somewhere in the night"

The secret of life is a good cuppa' coffee, the secret of life's keep ya eye on the ball, the secret of life is there's no secret at all! - Faith Hill - "The secret of life"

#29 Kyle Nin

Kyle Nin

Pick Your Own Title

• Members
  • 7,377 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 01:54 PM

Has Paramount officially stated that The Animated Series is considered canon? Or is it just anyone's opinion? I think it should be clear whether or not it is. I was thinking about watching it, but if it's not "official" then I don't want to waste my time (and money).
Posted Image
Leverage -- Season 5 on DVD Coming September 17th

"The numbers are bad! The numbers are bad!" -- Hugo "Hurley" Reyes, Lost - Season 1
"Boone's death was a sacrifice that the island demanded." -- John Locke, Lost - Season 2
"When was it you lost your imagination, son?" -- Dr. Walter Bishop, Fringe - Season 1

#30 Kyle Nin

Kyle Nin

Pick Your Own Title

• Members
  • 7,377 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 06:17 PM

Okay, forget it. I went out and bought it anyway. Apparently there have been a lot of connections to these episodes on TOS (obviously, since it was a continuation), DS9 and Enterprise. There are even a few connections shown on the TOS Remastered episodes. So, since there do seem to be connections on three other Trek shows, I suppose it could be considered canon.
Posted Image

"The numbers are bad! The numbers are bad!" -- Hugo "Hurley" Reyes, Lost - Season 1
"Boone's death was a sacrifice that the island demanded." -- John Locke, Lost - Season 2
"When was it you lost your imagination, son?" -- Dr. Walter Bishop, Fringe - Season 1

#31 Rhett Coates

Rhett Coates

Commodore

• Members
  • 631 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 09:55 AM

Okay, forget it. I went out and bought it anyway. Apparently there have been a lot of connections to these episodes on TOS (obviously, since it was a continuation), DS9 and Enterprise. There are even a few connections shown on the TOS Remastered episodes. So, since there do seem to be connections on three other Trek shows, I suppose it could be considered canon.

TAS Canon Connections:

~~James TIBERIUS Kirk. Tiberius was first stated as his middle name in an episode of TAS. This was restated during the Klingon court sequence in the sixth movie (The Undiscovered Country).
~~Caitians. M'Ress (the "cat people" as another poster stated above). Her people were seen sitting on the Federation Council in the fourth movie (The Voyage Home), and it has since been revealed that this was the intent for their inclusion in those scenes. Their home planet, Cait, has been included in a galactic [solar system location] map in the new book published (with permission from Paramount), and called, Star Trek Star Charts. This shows starcharts for ALL FIVE S.T. series!
~~Spock's hometown (as stated above in another post): seen in the remastered edition of TOS episode "Amok Time."
~~The Forge: Vulcan's famous desert, first seen in novel form; then in TAS episode when Spock used the Guardian to travel back in time to when he was a boy on Vulcan, and (2) also seen in the Star Trek: Enterprise Vulcan arc, when Archer was carrying the katra of Surak.

And that's only the beginning..... J.J. Abrams's writers for ST-XI have already stated that they consider TAS, and even some of the material found in [some of] the novels, as "potential canon." Who knows, other than the producers of that yet-to-be-seen film, what interesting connections will be made with TAS.....? We will find out in December, 2008.

Actually, there are one or two episodes of TOS that still make me cringe when I watch them: "And The Children Shall Lead," and "Spock's Brain." Most of TAS episodes, to my way of thinking, are FAR better than those two episodes. LOL!

Edited by Rhett Coates, 21 June 2007 - 09:59 AM.

~~~ Regarding the woman EVE, in TOS episode "Mudd's Women" ~~~

KIRK: "There's only one kind of woman--"
HARRY MUDD: "--or man, for that matter--"
KIRK: "--You either believe in yourself, or you don't."

(Truer Star Trek words were never spoken.)

"Good words. That's where ideas begin." --David Marcus, in ST2:TWOK)

A quote spoken by Tom Hanks, portraying the Train conductor, near the end of the film The Polar Express, describes the secret to a fulfilled life in a nutshell: "One thing about trains: it doesn't really matter where they're going; what matters is deciding to get on." (Now, if more people lived by that adage, Gene Roddenberry's vision might come about a lot faster! -- RC)

Posted Image

#32 Kyle Nin

Kyle Nin

Pick Your Own Title

• Members
  • 7,377 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 10:24 AM

The Forge: Vulcan's famous desert, first seen in novel form; then in TAS episode when Spock used the Guardian to travel back in time to when he was a boy on Vulcan, and (2) also seen in the Star Trek: Enterprise Vulcan arc, when Archer was carrying the katra of Surak.

The Forge was also mentioned by Jadzia Dax on Deep Space Nine. It was in a conversation she was having with Worf. I can't remember which episode it was, but I remember her saying it.
Posted Image

#33 Kyle Nin

Kyle Nin

Pick Your Own Title

• Members
  • 7,377 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 11:32 AM

The Forge was also mentioned by Jadzia Dax on Deep Space Nine. It was in a conversation she was having with Worf. I can't remember which episode it was, but I remember her saying it.

Okay, I looked it up and the DS9 episode I was thinking of was the Season 6 episode "Change of Heart".
Posted Image

#34 Kyle Nin

Kyle Nin

Pick Your Own Title

• Members
  • 7,377 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 04:03 PM

Okay, I just got done watching the animated series. I can see how some people consider it as non-canon. It had a lot of inconsistancies. But so did TOS, especially when comparing Season 1 to Seasons 2 and 3. So, regardless of the occasional error, I would consider TAS to be canon. Especially since other Trek shows have connected to some of the episodes.
Posted Image

#35 Maco Captain

Maco Captain

Commodore

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 10:25 AM

I always considered it legitimate trek. :)

#36 CharlieTucker

CharlieTucker

Fleet Captain

• Members
  • 456 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 04:35 PM

It should be considered legit
Let's Roll

#37 Greystone

Greystone

Master Warrant Officer

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:04 PM

I think it can be accepted without too much trouble, some of the stories were outstanding.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users