• This topic is locked This topic is locked
999 replies to this topic

#981 paulinem

paulinem

Connortator Extraordinaire...

• Members
  • 4,636 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 10:55 PM

Absolutely agree... Queenslander's only have themselves to blame, a totally failed healthcare system for one... And yes, travelling through Brisbane is like walking through a maize. I originally come from Perth and 29 years later it still suprises me that there are hardly any flat or straight roads to be had in Brisbane, except where I live now, which is on the Redcliffe Peninsula (it is mostly straight). But still, sometimes it's easier to walk somewhere than to rely on public transport...

Posted Image

Persistence, Patience and Perseverance Pays Off!

(practice makes perfect)

#982 Aussie Trekkie

Aussie Trekkie

The Amateur Internet Radio DJ

• Members
  • 7,133 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 11:10 PM

I voted for the LNP in the last election, thought they were going to win and i sat for hours watching the results and just couldn't believe what happened but i know Springborg will try again next election, I think Queensland hasn't forgiven the Nationals after the reign of Sir Joh which ended back in the late 80's.

To sum up his reign just look up Skyhooks "Over the Border"

#983 paulinem

paulinem

• Members
  • 4,636 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 11:31 PM

I did look it up!!! Thought I didn't recognise this song, No Shirl - No Skyhooks :nonono: - mind you I wasn't a huge fan of Skyhooks at the time, more of a Sherbet and (dare I say it) Bay City Rollers fan... :blush:

AHHH, living in the 70's

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

OOHH BTW we're on page 50!!

Edited by paulinem, 27 August 2009 - 11:32 PM.

Posted Image

(practice makes perfect)

#984 Aussie Trekkie

Aussie Trekkie

• Members
  • 7,133 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 12:55 AM

Yep almost at the finishing line, if you want you can open the next part after post 1000 is done and it gets closed up
i know many people think we're a copy of the Countdown club but in reality they're economy and we're business class but anyway just look at previous editions to see how one opens the Cubbyhouse.

Two of my favourite Skyhooks songs are "Meglomania" or "Women in Uniform" it's so hard to pick an absolute favourite because there are so many.
As for Sherbet well theres "Summer Love" and of course "Howzat"

#985 Elf

Elf

Pick Your Own Title

• Members
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 08:15 AM

And yes, travelling through Brisbane is like walking through a maize. I originally come from Perth and 29 years later it still suprises me that there are hardly any flat or straight roads to be had in Brisbane, except where I live now, which is on the Redcliffe Peninsula (it is mostly straight). But still, sometimes it's easier to walk somewhere than to rely on public transport...

I didn't have a hard time traveling through Brisbane when I was there in 2002. I didn't go out to the western part of the city much, only as far as Milton. It could be a maze further west. I use to live on the Peninsula in Margate.
"Give me your boot." "What for?"
"So I can squash it." "Are we allowed to squash alien life forms?"
"If they're inside your sleeping bag. There it is. Wait a minute. Where'd you put the phase pistols?"
"You wanna shoot a bug?"
"I'm just gonna stun it."- Tucker and Mayweather

#986 Aussie Trekkie

Aussie Trekkie

• Members
  • 7,133 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 09:07 AM

I do like the bus expressways around Brisbane, just gotta get to them first that is the problem

#987 paulinem

paulinem

• Members
  • 4,636 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 05:38 PM

I didn't have a hard time traveling through Brisbane when I was there in 2002. I didn't go out to the western part of the city much, only as far as Milton. It could be a maze further west. I use to live on the Peninsula in Margate.

[Screems with delight] :clap:

Margate is where I live, on the Parade opposite Margate Beach... How long ago did you live here? there's been alot of changes in the last 8 years.

I do like the bus expressways around Brisbane, just gotta get to them first that is the problem

Before I moved to this side of town I used to live in Indooroopilly, not a flat road around and when I first moved from Perth I swore I would never drive in Brisbane so I used to walk everywhere and used public transport, I changed my mind pretty quickly cos the bus drivers in these parts are kamakazi.... and when I worked in the city a few of my colleagues had issues with the buses never even turning up...

Anyways, since I'm the first one up, I have coffee brewing for ya all, and for our oversees visitors, there's booze in the fridge...

Posted Image

(practice makes perfect)

#988 Elf

Elf

Pick Your Own Title

• Members
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 08:25 AM

[Screems with delight] :clap:

Margate is where I live, on the Parade opposite Margate Beach... How long ago did you live here? there's been alot of changes in the last 8 years.

Awesome :clap:

I use to live in Sorrento Street. I left in early 2003. I read there is a new bridge going up next to the Hornibrook Bridge.

Edited by Elf, 29 August 2009 - 08:26 AM.

"If they're inside your sleeping bag. There it is. Wait a minute. Where'd you put the phase pistols?"
"You wanna shoot a bug?"

#989 paulinem

paulinem

• Members
  • 4,636 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 05:20 PM

Awesome :clap:

I use to live in Sorrento Street. I left in early 2003. I read there is a new bridge going up next to the Hornibrook Bridge.

Yeah, I think they're about half way accross, I try to avoid the Hornibrook as much as possible, but I have heard them at night hammering in the pylons, I would hate to live closer...

They have 'beautified' the main road at Margate, what really makes me laugh though, is they've done all this 'beautification' but when you drive into Margate on Oxley Ave you see the 'Welcome to Margate' sign then the first thing you see is the massive gun shop... Now there's a message... :huh:

Posted Image

(practice makes perfect)

#990 Elf

Elf

Pick Your Own Title

• Members
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 08:09 PM

That gun shop is still there! Maybe they could beautify the gun shop. :D

I used to drive across the Hornibrook bridge and along Deagon Devn every day for work.

When did you move to Margate?
"You wanna shoot a bug?"

#991 paulinem

paulinem

• Members
  • 4,636 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 10:29 PM

God, I'm having dramas with my network connection, keeps dropping out. Lets see if it works this time...

Yes the gunshop is still there, Cunninghams Marine has move to Kippa-Ring though, so now there's a nice ugly looking vacant block with only the office remaining (Yeah, welcome to Margate....)

I hate going on the Gateway arterial, if I even need to go to the city I catch the train, and when I go to see my family at Indooroopilly I go the back way through Everton Park...

I moved here in 2001, lived in an old Qld'r that has be devided into 5 small flats, but I had a full view of the bay, taking in Moreton Island and the wharf. On a very still night, when the water is so flat, the lights from the island (if there were any) and the wharf would reflect right across the bay, magical... It was a sad day when I had to move... But you get that, moved to Scarborough for about a year and a half, still on the water, then that was sold, so now I live back at Margate right next door to where I originally lived when I moved here. I don't have the view like that anymore, but I still have a view, still right on the water... Love it...

AT hasn't been around for a couple of days, I hope he's OK...

Posted Image

(practice makes perfect)

#992 Elf

Elf

Pick Your Own Title

• Members
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 06:46 PM

I lived in a group of 4 flats. My flat was the only one on a second level as the cars where parked under my flat. I didn't have much of a view, just some roof tops of houses.

Whats wrong with the Gateway arterial, apart from paying a toll at the bridge?
I don't think I have been to Everton Park. I have been nearby suburbs like Aspley and Chermside.

We may have passed each other in the street back then.

I haven't seen AT for a few days. I hope he is ok.
"You wanna shoot a bug?"

#993 paulinem

paulinem

• Members
  • 4,636 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 11:45 PM

There's way too many accidents and mad drives on the Arterial. The first time I drove it I almost got wiped out by a petrol tanker, that was enough for me. And when I listen to the traffic reports I'm glad I avoid it, hardly a day goes by that there's not an accident, and most times they're serious...

South Pine Road goes through Asply, keep on that and you end up at Everton Park then Enoggera then The Gap ect, ect, ect...basically the same road, not straight, but straight forward... We may have passed each other, or if you went walking along the beach I more than likey would have seen you... :o

So the cricket was a wash out, the one time the Aussies were more than likely to win... timing man ... :nonono:

AT [jumping up and down, waving hands] Where are YOU.....

Posted Image

(practice makes perfect)

#994 Elf

Elf

Pick Your Own Title

• Members
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 06:55 AM

I remember driving to work on the Gateway arterial at 10:30pm. I was about 6kms from the bridge and I saw a truck on it's side. The police was already in attendance and the truck was the only vehicle involved. Apart from that one accident I didn't see any others. Maybe there where less mad drivers back then?

I did walk on the Redcliffe jetty a number of times.
"You wanna shoot a bug?"

#995 Aussie Trekkie

Aussie Trekkie

• Members
  • 7,133 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 08:38 AM

Hello all I'm alright, for some reason my computers were unable to get into Trekunited like a board message came up saying i was prohibited from viewing the board every time i typed the address in and suddently it just unblocked just then and it's been a frustrating two or three days of waiting i can tell you that.

Wow just five posts to go, i'm so glad this grand old series is alive makes coming to Trekunited all worthwhile there is also Save Enterprise but this Australian section has always been home

#996 Elf

Elf

Pick Your Own Title

• Members
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 09:12 AM

Glad to hear you are ok.

You got to love computers....They are good when they work. Do you clean your cookies often on the computer AT?
"You wanna shoot a bug?"

#997 Aussie Trekkie

Aussie Trekkie

• Members
  • 7,133 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 09:21 AM

all the time but i tell you all three computers i own effectively banned me from Trekunited and suddenly it worked again but i fear in a day or two it will happen again

#998 Bill

Bill

TU Manager (aka DefiantVulcan)

• Managment
  • 5,068 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 09:45 AM

Hopefully when we get the upgrade noone will have issues.

Here's a post for the cause and a new cubbyhouse. :thumbsup:

Life is a con
stant series of adaptations. and I am adapting as fast as I can!

#999 sevnson_71

sevnson_71

TU Forum Manager - Resident killjoy

• Forum Administrators
  • 13,621 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 10:13 AM

Pour me one last one to cap off the Cubbyhouse, just for pity's sake not a Fosters!
Posted Image

So the combination is 1-2-3-4-5. That's the stupidest combination I've ever heard in my life! That's the kind of thing an idiot would have on his luggage!- Dark Helmet; "Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark; "Half the world is composed of people who have something to say and can't, and the other half who have nothing to say and keep on saying it." -Robert Frost; "It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." - Samuel Adams, Brewer/Patriot
FORUM RULES

#1000 Aussie Trekkie

Aussie Trekkie

• Members
  • 7,133 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 10:22 AM

It taken some 3 years
over 31,000 views
a couple of thousand subjects from sport to clothing
but WE'VE FINALLY MADE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There were times we thought this moment will never come, the moment where post 1000 and retirement of Aussie Cubbyhouse Part Seven after the loss of so many great members to whatever taken them away no doubt something that rakes in the $$$, their losses made this climb a steeper one but we done it.

So may we all drink whether suits your tastes to the wonderful life of Aussie Cubbyhouse Part Seven and to the people who lovingly posted in it, this part like all the others was nothing short of fun.

May Aussie Cubbyhouse Part 8 be blessed and not take as long as Part Seven did to complete it's journey.
Aussie Cubbyhouse Part 8 is at http://www.trekunite...showtopic=19036

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users