Why do you like TOS?

55 replies to this topic

#41 LovingMemoryToSpace

LovingMemoryToSpace

Ensign

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 03:14 PM

I love TOS because...Well I dont know no other reason that there are just for me the right first officer as Spock and the right medicial officer as Bones and my fave person from all right Captain James T. Kirk :bowdown: And I Love allof them! And I know this could be stupid thing to say but if anyone would offer Picard for me to be captain of Enterprise I would probably say that I want Kirk back :D Or same with McCoy he is best doctor that I have known so I wouldnt chance him for anyone else :P I did froget one excellent point too the friendship of those three^^

#42 Schplee

Schplee

Petty Officer 2nd Class

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 01:46 AM

Kirk and Spock manage to keep the ship intact while they're surrounded by idiots. Biggest idiot so far is Mccoy...

Darnit, Jim. He's a Doctor not a tactician! :lol:

I agree with the post which challenged the opening comment though. It's the bitesize and satisfying story formula which kept me glued to the series regardless of any exceptionaly theatrical performances or cardboard sets.

I'm a Spock man m'self of course. If anyone were to sing 'row row row your boat' at my funeral I should like it to be him...

Edited by Schplee, 04 November 2010 - 02:00 AM.

#43 maneth

maneth

GBBS Moderator

• Members
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 05:59 AM

The friendship of Kirk, Spock & McCoy.

Some of the stories are great, and for its time it was certainly groundbreaking. Unfortunately for every City On The Edge Of Forever there's a Turnabout Intruder, for every The Trouble With Tribbles a Spock's Brain...

The main reason I still watch, though, is probably to see how far we've come. Too much PC is not good admittedly, but nobody today would dare to suggest a woman's not fit to command simply because she's female.

Posted Image
Live long and prosper

#44 trekkin'

trekkin'

Memory is the first thing to go! :P

• Global Moderators
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 10:37 AM

I'm a Spock man m'self of course. If anyone were to sing 'row row row your boat' at my funeral I should like it to be him...

:roflmao:
"Please, dear God, don't let me phlox up." -Shepherd's Prayer: Freedom 7

Are we ever really HERE, man?

"...death is my bread and danger my butter - oh, no, danger's my bread, and death is my butter. No, no, wait. Danger's my bread, death - no, death is - no, I'm sorry. Death is my - death and danger are my various breads and various butters. ." -Woody Allen

#45 S'chn T'gai

S'chn T'gai

Welcomed Star Trek Fan

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 01:37 AM

I believe i enjoy it because it was the first series i watched and i grew adapted to its own specific brand of adventure. It now feels more "homey" than the others and no matter what will always feel more satisfying to watch.
"It is curious how often you humans manage to obtain that which you do not want."

#46 Commander Lazar

Commander Lazar

Vice Admiral

• Members
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 09:18 AM

I like TOS because of the humor and it's very interesting.

#47 Commander Lazar

Commander Lazar

Vice Admiral

• Members
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 01:21 PM

And because all my relatives watched it when they were kids.

Edited by Commander Lazar, 12 June 2011 - 05:34 AM.

#48 Greystone

Greystone

Master Warrant Officer

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:07 PM

I'm not really sure, at the time I was a kid and it was action adventure in space with fabulous props and fabulous uniforms. I was fascinated by the way the badge was affected by the foulds in the tunic. Looking back on it from an adult prospective it seems to be a show about two men imposing their will on anything encountered because they are always right... about everything. Oh yeah, and a third guy presenting a token arguement against breaking their most sacred rule, time and time again, but rolling over at the first stumbling block.

Spock: Whatever we think of it Captain, it is a viable civilisation, it is self supporting and independent. It works.

McCoy: It might work for you mister Spock but it doesn't work me or Jim, right Captain?

Kirk: Right Bones, and whatever you think Mr Spock, Bones and I are always right. Right Bones?

McCoy: Right Jim.

Spock: Another one bites the dust.

It is a great series though.

Edited by Greystone, 09 November 2011 - 01:08 PM.

#49 GalacticGal

GalacticGal

3rd Year Cadet

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:43 PM

I'm sure lots of people like The Original Series for different reasons. I personally like it because it basically had no budget, and was character oriented. Actually, now that I think about it, I'm not really sure why I like TOS, but I think it's my favorite. Anyways. Any thoughts? Because you grew up with it? because it was first? because of Spock? please tell me. Also, many of the other topics in this forum are pretty dumb, so you can reply to this one even though it is dumb as well. thank you for your time.

I love the Original Series. The stories, on the whole were strong. Most of the characters were well-rounded, well-defined and strong. The only character I never liked, in fact, was Nurse Christine Chapel. She was a bit vapid and on the weak side. Even Majel Barrett couldn't stand her. This series may have bombed at the time it was originally aired, but I blame NBC for that. They clearly didn't know what they had on their hands, and consequently, played to the wrong audience.

I picked it up when it first went into syndication. I don't believe I've ever seen the three seasons in their "proper" order. I know some suggest the third season was weak, but I don't agree, judging by the episodes they cite. Like I said, I've never watched them in order. I really should. I've got all 79 of them on remastered DVD. The thing that really strikes me about the series, is that I could watch it as I've gotten older and not suffered that shuddery, ick factor I've experienced when I've gone back and watched or tried to watch old shows I once loved. Gilligan's Island and Laverne and Shirley come to mind. :fear:

Watching this show is like curling up with a favorite book in front of the fire. Doesn't even matter that the pages are a bit tattered (the props pitiful) the story is strong and the acting is convincing, which pulls me right in. And many of the topics are still valid today.

Edited by GalacticGal, 01 February 2012 - 03:47 PM.

"I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once!"

#50 Beast Boy

Beast Boy

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,658 posts
  • Location:Galaxy-alpha quadrant-sector 001-Earth-Russian Federation.

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:17 AM

I very liked TOS,because this series-legend,begun great sci fi saga.Me very liked episode "Way to eden".
You watched this epic and very funny episode?

gKZxu0v.jpg?1

#51 Chief Cottingham

Chief Cottingham

Ensign

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:42 PM

I enjoyed the truly captivating stories and characters.

#52 Ezri Dax

Ezri Dax

Captain

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:53 AM

There are very interesting topics dealing with the 1960's. Other than that, I am unsure.

#53 Chief Cottingham

Chief Cottingham

Ensign

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:02 PM

The cheesy fight scenes were always really funny!

#54 Ezri Dax

Ezri Dax

Captain

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:23 AM

True, but we are talking about American in the 1960's.

#55 Beast Boy

Beast Boy

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,658 posts
  • Location:Galaxy-alpha quadrant-sector 001-Earth-Russian Federation.

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:51 AM

I too would want again to watch this series,but time don't have.

gKZxu0v.jpg?1

#56 Ezri Dax

Ezri Dax

Captain

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:44 PM

Well, like a Grand Master Jedi Yoda said, you make the time.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users