Why do you like TOS?

55 replies to this topic

#1 Madame President

Madame President

Confused, as a general rule

• Members
  • 5,856 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 01:23 AM

I'm sure lots of people like The Original Series for different reasons. I personally like it because it basically had no budget, and was character oriented. Actually, now that I think about it, I'm not really sure why I like TOS, but I think it's my favorite. Anyways. Any thoughts? Because you grew up with it? because it was first? because of Spock? please tell me. Also, many of the other topics in this forum are pretty dumb, so you can reply to this one even though it is dumb as well. thank you for your time.
"Only Nixon can go to China." -Vulcan Proverb

Landru: are you of the Body?

Proud to be a member of SANITY

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 B'atL'eth's Blood

B'atL'eth's Blood

Commander

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 12:39 PM

Because when it first aired, it was cutting edge, and it gave hope for the future of us all. The scripts were well written for the most part, the FX were so cool to an 11 year old boy hungry for real science fiction. The characters ended up becoming a part of my life, and gave me many pleasurable hours of lasting entertainment.

#3 lwallace2

lwallace2

Vice Admiral

• Members
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 04:01 PM

Well I was 13 when i got hooked. I watched every episode multiple times over the course of my teenage years. I think the main reasons I grew to love it so much were:

1) Interesting, compelling stories

2) Interesting, compelling characters

3) Interesting, compelling sets and special effects (hey, at the time they might have been a bit cheesy, but still pretty cool!)

I don't think i was as much into the whole "hope for the future" idea. I just thought it was a fun, engaging show. And, i have to admit, I did grow a bit of a crush on Kirk, though now as an adult when i watch these shows I'm constantly groaning and going "god, what a womanizer!" :D

#4 trekkin'

trekkin'

Memory is the first thing to go! :P

• Global Moderators
  • 7,686 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 07:20 PM

Well, today TOS is like Chicken soup for my soul. It is nourishing...It feels like a nice safe place---like hanging out at home eating oreos and milk after school. Back then, I think I loved to watch it for the colorful sets, the action, the jovial chatter between the characters. I had the hots for Chekov...It was on just before the News. I had control of the TV until then. The first run is sort of a blur to me, I do remember watching it with my Dad and sister. But the re-runs throughout the 70's and 80's are what made it a part of my persona. It was ALWAYS entertaining, even at its worst. I wonder if my kids will feel such a powerful bond with Pokemon or whatever else they watch endlessly. THE SETS!! I loved the sets and the cool technology!!

Kirk is hot! I just posted this on another thread...He's like 35, got a six pack (at first) he's in charge...That swagger...that hair...(ha ha ha ha!!)

:naughty3dg: :D

He could fly me to the moon. I have the same "thing" with Picard. I always thought he was hot, but ...you know...for an old guy...Suddenly, he doesn't look so old! :argh:

Its tough getting old ...stop me when I think McCoy is hot, okay!!

I don't think any question is silly, so ask away!!
"Please, dear God, don't let me phlox up." -Shepherd's Prayer: Freedom 7

Are we ever really HERE, man?

"...death is my bread and danger my butter - oh, no, danger's my bread, and death is my butter. No, no, wait. Danger's my bread, death - no, death is - no, I'm sorry. Death is my - death and danger are my various breads and various butters. ." -Woody Allen

#5 Overmind

Overmind

Vice Admiral

• Members
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 06:58 PM

I do linke it overall, but I kinda hate the ideea of 'let's kill them all Captain's attiutude'.
And FX is a problem, that's why I totally agree with the rebuild.
I am the Universe. Resistance is futile. The Truth is classified.

#6 warpich89

warpich89

1st Year Cadet

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 07:48 PM

tos - best. Kirk - IMXO, best capitan, Spok - you all know. and others
characters the best. thats all.
Death of one man - is tragedy, death of million peoples - statics. (Stalin)

#7 mlaz

mlaz

blisfully clueless

• Members
  • 10,334 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 07:58 PM

what trekkin' said.
At the time I lived in a foreign country and had a realy difficult time. and there was this starship with all those different caracters that where a very good team.
The 'hope for humanity's future' thing was realy , and is, importand to me.
"Tell me and I'll forget, Show me and I might remember, Involve me and I'll understand"
Posted Image . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Posted Image
"I believe in humanity. We are an incredible species. We're still just a child creature, we're still being nasty to each other, all children go through those phases. We're growing up, we're moving into adolescence now. When we grow up,man,we're going to be something!"Gene Roddenberry 9/4/85

#8 WilliamShatnersPants!

WilliamShatnersPants!

4th Year Cadet

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 11:01 PM

:) I like the TOS because I was born in 76' and watched re-runs as a kid. I loved the exotic planets the enterprise travelled to, the retro-futuristic look of the ships, sets, and characters, and I loved it because as a kid, space seemed wonderful, huge and full of mystery, and the TOS encapsulated these themes and expressed them in a uniquely interesting visual way.

:) Also, it captured my imagination made space seem exciting.

#9 marty

marty

Commodore

• Members
  • 519 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 11:01 AM

It's optimism, compassion, curiosity and drive to learn about others and themselves. Star Trek has always been about the inner journey (self discovery) for that is where the final frontier really lies. That, and the mini skirts.

#10 GARY SEVEN

GARY SEVEN

4th Year Cadet

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 01:55 AM

for it's time it was revolutionary.........it had a vision that was unmatched until star wars........it was a way for me to get off this world.........
miss uhura, we are not involved in gambling...spock

jordi, i cannot stun my cat....data

Dor-sHo GHA!....worf

#11 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Pick Your Own Title

• Members
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 11:54 AM

As a wierd geeky kid of seven who would sit down all afternoon with Tiny Tears to witness the Apollo 'splashdowns', I honestly believed that Star Trek was our future. Not only did it give me a frame to hang my day dreams on, but it wouldn't be too big an exaageration to say that Roddenberry's vision of the future became my religion.

As a kid I loved all the adventure, and thought Spock's ears were real! The bright colours were lost on me because we only had a black and white TV until 1973!

Later on, I came to appreciate the banter between Kirk, Spock and McCoy, and really get a grasp of Trek's deeper meanings ~ some of which weren't entirely lost on a little girl who was blown away by watching The Enterprise Incident and thinking "Wow! A woman is in charge!"

Roddenberry's magic wasn't lost of Whoopie Goldberg either, and I loved it that she became part of the Star Trek universe...what greater tribute can there be?

Edited by JulesLuvsShinzon, 02 January 2007 - 11:55 AM.

#12 SNAP

SNAP

Banned

• Members
  • 5,667 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 05:30 PM

As a wierd geeky kid of seven who would sit down all afternoon with Tiny Tears to witness the Apollo 'splashdowns', I honestly believed that Star Trek was our future. Not only did it give me a frame to hang my day dreams on, but it wouldn't be too big an exaageration to say that Roddenberry's vision of the future became my religion.

As a kid I loved all the adventure, and thought Spock's ears were real! The bright colours were lost on me because we only had a black and white TV until 1973!

Later on, I came to appreciate the banter between Kirk, Spock and McCoy, and really get a grasp of Trek's deeper meanings ~ some of which weren't entirely lost on a little girl who was blown away by watching The Enterprise Incident and thinking "Wow! A woman is in charge!"

Roddenberry's magic wasn't lost of Whoopie Goldberg either, and I loved it that she became part of the Star Trek universe...what greater tribute can there be?

I must agree with Jules, The Enterprise Incident was one of the best episodes, When the Female Klingon Commander screamed at her first officer to fire on the 1701 at once,..transmition ended that was great stuff. So my dear Madame President, TOS is the best because it is the catalyst for all other Trek series. There will never be another James T Kirk/ TJ Hooker/911/Denny Crane.. Look at all the commercials that involve ST it's all TOS, WHY, because it survives and people connect with it. Over the Christmas holiday I saw Lenard Nimoy in an old Western playing an Indian, D Kelly was in the first movie titled Gun Fight at the OK Coral, Shatner started on Broadway, a Shakespearean trained actor, stared in The World of Suzie Wong.Hell Gene Rodenberry started out making Westerns so thats my take on it, I love all Trek all all of the series but TOS is still the top... :thumbsup: By the way Jules you need to post some of your writtings because I found them to be outstanding.. ;)

Edited by SNAP, 19 January 2007 - 05:34 PM.

"We have room for but one flag,the American flag...
We have room for but one language here, and that
is the English language...and we have room for but
one sole loyalty and that is the loyalty of the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt, 1907

#13 jespah

jespah

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

• Global Moderators
  • 4,894 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 10:22 AM

I love it for a lot of reasons, but the one I can think of this morning is -- it didn't really take itself all that seriously. While it covered a lot of interesting issues of the day (hell, racism, etc. are still, unfortunately, with us), it was still, ultimately, a buncha cowboys with nifty weapons and gals in miniskirts.

The other shows tended to be caught up in the all-fired importance of social issues (fine) but also costlier special effects, higher salaries and the big ole hype machine. TOS -- and the time period that spawned it -- did not carry such baggage.
Honk if you love silence.

Ordinary Trek Citizen and not much bigger than a bread box

Posted Image

#14 The Star Treker

The Star Treker

Commander

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 11:02 AM

I love TOS because I was born in 83' and I used to watch the reruns of it with my dad before TNG first aired but TNG really was the one got me into it. It gave me a dream becoming an astronaut and because I love space science/astronomy. I just love outer-space. Of course I loved those good moments when Kirk, Spock, and Bones were being humorous. Also it has shown me the idea of a blight future for humanity. Captain Kirk and Captain Picard are the best. I remember when I saw that one episode at very first time when Kirk's friend Mitchell that transformed into a god-like entity used to frighten me.

#15 Mrs Treklady

Mrs Treklady

Lieutenant, J.G.

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 11:35 PM

i was like almost 9 when the origonal series aired my mom sent my sissy & i to bed at 8pm but my sissy & i use to sneek out of bed and watch tv out of sight from my moms watch full eye, so i love the origonal series because it is the star trek i first grew up with. my favorite carture is MR. spock, the stories were good i love the action & adventure. its the trek that stared it all!

#16 Madame President

Madame President

Confused, as a general rule

• Members
  • 5,856 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 02:48 PM

my favorite carture is MR. spock, the stories were good i love the action & adventure. its the trek that stared it all!

Mr. Spock is the best. And I think if anything, you have to at least see the original series to understand the context of everything else. It's a piece of history, and I don't really understand how you can like star trek without enjoying TOS.
"Only Nixon can go to China." -Vulcan Proverb

Landru: are you of the Body?

Proud to be a member of SANITY

#17 Mrs Treklady

Mrs Treklady

Lieutenant, J.G.

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 07:45 PM

i watch the original series all the time on one of our local channels & TV land and on g4, i do enjoy watching the original series a lot. my favorite episodes is journey to babel
this morning a 1am i was watching the episode "for the world is hollow and i have touched the sky" on TV land.
i have several collectibles i charish for the origonal series, like a picture of the origonal cast on the bridge, playing cards figureines.books stamps. the list goes on.

#18 SNAP

SNAP

Banned

• Members
  • 5,667 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 10:16 PM

i watch the original series all the time on one of our local channels & TV land and on g4, i do enjoy watching the original series a lot. my favorite episodes is journey to babel
this morning a 1am i was watching the episode "for the world is hollow and i have touched the sky" on TV land.
i have several collectibles i charish for the origonal series, like a picture of the origonal cast on the bridge, playing cards figureines.books stamps. the list goes on.

Outstanding, hold on to those buggers, vintage TOS RULES, thats why I need another room.. :rolleyes:

Mr. Spock is the best. And I think if anything, you have to at least see the original series to understand the context of everything else. It's a piece of history, and I don't really understand how you can like star trek without enjoying TOS.

I think it is the relationship between Kirk,Spock and McCoy that pull the show all together. There is no better.. :thumbsup:

I need one more 12 inch figure from STTMP to complete my collection it's Decker, I will pay top dollar for this figure so just PM me if anyone has it...

Edited by SNAP, 28 January 2007 - 10:17 PM.

"We have room for but one flag,the American flag...
We have room for but one language here, and that
is the English language...and we have room for but
one sole loyalty and that is the loyalty of the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt, 1907

#19 Maco Captain

Maco Captain

Commodore

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 12:31 PM

I really like TOS because of the effective story writing that although forty years ago, still resonates today with its efficient use of the human condition made manifest in the timeframe of our future. :clap:

#20 CiCi

CiCi

Rear Admiral

• Members
  • 770 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 06:52 AM

I like it because I have an affinity for classic science fiction plus it is an all around fun show to watch.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users