ST: Nemesis

339 replies to this topic

#1 Link

Link

what

• Members
  • 5,539 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 12:06 AM

How many here like Star Trek: Nemesis? Probably a stupid question but. I like Nemesis so please don´t start beating me up or something. :P I saw it twice in the movies.
I think it´s a good movie, not the greatest but.

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 Trek

Trek

Online Advertising Design Team Leader

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 02:23 AM

Damn Good movie!

I was working on the UK promotion at the time it came out and I was very happy when I got to see it 7 days before it was released in the US! :)

I have come to realise over time how much better this could have been if Berman hadn't insited on the sub 2 hour running time. Alot af very needed scenes were cut.
Online Advertising Design Team
Team Leader

“A story of fan power at its best” - BBC Radio 1 on TrekUnited
Fund the Future! - Trek United

ST Universe: The Ultimate Guide to the Star Trek Universe
Staff positions open

The Adventures of Argus

#3 Link

Link

what

• Members
  • 5,539 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 02:45 AM

Yeah, they could have used the Picard and Data scene after the wedding, I liked it.

#4 Guest_admiral_rooster_*

Guest_admiral_rooster_*

• Guests

Posted 10 February 2005 - 02:59 AM

I don't want to ruin it for those who havent yet seen it (WHY HAVENT YOU SEEN IT YET). But I have to say...there was something in my eye... :( :crybaby:

:star-wars:
FUND THE FUTURE

#5 jeffkicker

jeffkicker

Star Trek / Farscape News Consultant

• Members
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 07:31 PM

I thought that it was okay, not the best but certainly not as bad as many would say. I was dissapointed in it, I was looking forward to a Romulan movie and it didn't really focus on the Romulans at all, more the Remans. Not a very good send off for the TNG cast either. I certainly think it's better than The Motion Picture or The Final Frontier.
<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>'Slice of Sci Fi' News Team</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Pacific Region Coordinator</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Trek United Publications Team</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Trek United COMM team member (info@trekunited.com)</span>

Don't forget to vote for ' Slice of Sci-Fi' and 'The Dragon Page' at Podcast Alley!

Posted Image

#6 Newt1701

Newt1701

Crewman 2nd Class

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 08:50 PM

Damn Good movie!

I was working on the UK promotion at the time it came out and I was very happy when I got to see it 7 days before it was released in the US!  :)

I have come to realise over time how much better this could have been if Berman hadn't insited on the sub 2 hour running time. Alot af very needed scenes were cut.

View Post

Loved this movie too.

I do wish it could of been longer, I want an extended cut.

#7 Jami

Jami

Senior Chief Petty Officer

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 12:58 AM

I loved all the Next Gen movies. I think this one was very good and Brent Spiner should write more scripts.

However one thing bothers me. Why, when they were about to put together B4, did no one bother to bring up Lore? I know if I found an andriod my first thought would be "What if he turns out to be an evil psycho like Lore?" Not even in the deleted scenes did anyone say, "Hey, maybe it's not a good idea to put him back together. Remember what happened when we put together Lore?"

And with that said, we need some Data and Lore emotioncons.

#8 jeffkicker

jeffkicker

• Members
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 02:32 AM

Why, when they were about to put together B4, did no one bother to bring up Lore? I know if I found an andriod my first thought would be "What if he turns out to be an evil psycho like Lore?" Not even in the deleted scenes did anyone say, "Hey, maybe it's not a good idea to put him back together. Remember what happened when we put together Lore?"

And with that said, we need some Data and Lore emotioncons.

View Post

I've wondered that as well. I also find it odd that they didn't mention any of the events from "Unification". What happened with Spock ans the Romulans? What about Sela?
<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>'Slice of Sci Fi' News Team</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Trek United Publications Team</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Trek United COMM team member (info@trekunited.com)</span>

Don't forget to vote for ' Slice of Sci-Fi' and 'The Dragon Page' at Podcast Alley!

Posted Image

#9 Belanna

Belanna

Warrant Officer 1st Class

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 06:15 AM

I loved Nemesis. I had a few tears in my eyes when Data died. I love all the Trek movies! 10 if them is NOT enough......

:nono:

"However one thing bothers me. Why, when they were about to put together B4, did no one bother to bring up Lore? I know if I found an andriod my first thought would be "What if he turns out to be an evil psycho like Lore?" Not even in the deleted scenes did anyone say, "Hey, maybe it's not a good idea to put him back together. Remember what happened when we put together Lore?"

They make the movie with first timers in mind, so that they wouldn't mention stuff like that - fans would know all that. First timers would completely get lost and wouldn't understand the movie. (I remember somewhere reading something like that) :)
Posted Image

#10 jeffkicker

jeffkicker

• Members
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 06:22 AM

They make the movie with first timers in mind, so that they wouldn't mention stuff like that - fans would know all that. First timers would completely get lost and wouldn't understand the movie. (I remember somewhere reading something like that)  :)

View Post

That in my opinion is why the movies don't do so well. They could bring up things from the series without confusing the mass audience and still make connections to things that fans would like to see.

Posted Image

#11 PaulHamon

PaulHamon

Commodore

• Members
  • 601 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 06:34 AM

I loved Nemesis. I had a few tears in my eyes when Data died. I love all the Trek movies! 10 if them is NOT enough......

Yeah.. wasn't happy about Data either...

Lucky he's a robot and they can alway find a way to bring him back!

Paul
It's always wise to follow your dreams,
they'll take you places that others never see!

------------------------------------------------------
Star Trek meetup group in Adelaide, Australia
>> more info at http://startrek.meetup.com/9/
------------------------------------------------------

#12 Jami

Jami

Senior Chief Petty Officer

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 12:44 PM

Yeah.. wasn't happy about Data either...

Lucky he's a robot and they can alway find a way to bring him back!

Paul

View Post

Yeah, his parts could be out there somewhere and someone could collect what's left and eventually put him back together. Or, with the fact B4 was singing Blue Skies at the end we could see a "Search For Spock" type resurection. However, as much as I hate to admit it, I don't think it likely. They've said that's the last TNG movie and remember Brent Spiner was one of the writers. He wanted to kill off Data because he didn't want to see him grow old.

As far as the Lore thing goes, they could mention it without confusing people.

Geordi: Data, do you think this is such a good idea? Remember when we found Lore and put him together? He turned out to be evil and even murdered your creator, Dr. Soong. What if B4 here turns out to be evil too?

A minor monologue, but detailed enough that non-show watchers would be able to understand that Lore was an evil brother.

#13 DeAnn

DeAnn

Editor - HFO and FanMagazine - PR Team

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 03:22 AM

I liked Nemesis, too. I saw it twice in the theater. I dragged my sister and her husband to the second showing and they enjoyed it. Very few people that I talked to about the movie were disappointed.

I liked the way Stuart Baird lighted the sets. It was dark and mysterious. Almost spooky at times. In it's own way it was a darker film. The story started out slow, but once the plotline started evolving it moved fast!! Great battle scenes!! We haven't really seen anything like the battle scenes that went on in this movie in any of the previous movies.

DeAnn

#14 Guest_The Last Rock Band on the Planet_*

Guest_The Last Rock Band on the Planet_*

• Guests

Posted 04 March 2005 - 10:53 AM

How many here like Star Trek: Nemesis? Probably a stupid question but. I like Nemesis so please don´t start beating me up or something. :P  I saw it twice in the movies.
I think it´s a good movie, not the greatest but.

View Post

I am a HUGE ST:NG fan but . . .

Review I wrote for Netflix

Wow, what a bummer. ST:NG was one of my favorite shows, mostly because it was smart. The last two movies have been insulting to my intelligence. ST: Nemesis looked pretty cool. I thought that the "double" of Picard was gonna be from some parallel universe or something.

His CLONE????? Gimme a freakin break! What a lame idea. The Reman guys were pretty nasty and should have been all of the villains. It was like they recycled the "It's Tasha Yar's daughter" storyline. Why are Troi and Riker married? I thought she and Worf were doing the Klingon Kongo. Riker is barely in this one (probably because he didn't direct it.)

Are they so predictably dumb enough to grab a Data doppleganger and paste him back together only to have him betray them again???? Gene Roddenberry must be spinning in his grave! This is supposed to be the flagship of the Federation! Didn't they learn their lesson with Lore? Wouldn't they be slightly cautious? and who were the attacking thingies from the planet they found Dopa (my name, not their's) on? Or was that just a chance to show off Speed Buggy?

*** SPOILER ALERT *** In the end, I was glad to see Data die, he's honorably saved from future films.

#15 auriak

auriak

Lieutenant, J.G.

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 11:24 AM

Yeah, I wasn't sure I liked Shinzon and B4. Data's death was certainly a bummer, one of my favorite characters. As for the Remans...I wish they'd explained their origins better. 1-2 thousand years underground isn't going to alter your appearance that much from original Romulans. I suppose radiation exposure could, but they still seemed to pop up out of whole cloth. Bleh, ah well.

The space battles were good, even if the Enterprise E did get trashed. Altogether not as bad a movie as many people make it out to be, but pales in comparison to Generations or First Contact.

#16 jeffkicker

jeffkicker

• Members
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 11:38 AM

As for the Remans...I wish they'd explained their origins better.  1-2 thousand years underground isn't going to alter your appearance that much from original Romulans.  I suppose radiation exposure could, but they still seemed to pop up out of whole cloth.  Bleh, ah well.

View Post

They were conquered by the Romulans, they aren't some sort of Romulan off-shoot.

Posted Image

#17 Captain_Hair

Captain_Hair

Master of all things, jack of none

• VIP
  • 50,337 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 11:42 AM

They were conquered by the Romulans, they aren't some sort of Romulan off-shoot.

View Post

Actually, there's not much evidence to support this (if I'm wrong, point me in the right direction). If you really look at the Remans, there are a lot of physical similarities with them to the Romulans.

Posted Image

#18 kaiidth

kaiidth

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 11:46 AM

Wow... well it was a good movie, I mean, if I switch off the part of my brain that watched Trek, it's totally watchable. If on the other hand I watch it with the memory of all the excellent discussions of the Romulans that have gone on in Trek already, it suddenly starts being a right pain in the metaphorical pudenda.

For example, if I read "My Enemy, My Ally" and then watch Nemesis, then I realise that the whole Remans thing as portrayed in the movie was designed with a total absence of tact: as in "Look, they're white and weird and deformed and all sort of eewww, and yet they're secretly not bad guys." And I think they were meant to be from the same genetic stock as Romulans; certainly before the space-vampire look was invented, they were.

Aside from that and Data :( the movie was really very watchable. But I liked the whole idea of Romulan history as explained in that novel, and it's so sad that Nemesis came up with nothing that approaches that level of interest. I mean you could tell Romulan history like Diane Duane did, and it would be totally fascinating... or you could just, hey, not bother, and go for a short sweet ten second introduction and a ton of makeup. I think it doesn't make the Romulans as interesting as it could've: if the movie had been a bit different, they could've given us all an idea of what goes on inside the Romulan mindset.

So I keep my copy of Nemesis for watching as just another decent action sort of movie - but it wouldn't be top of the list to displace Duane's effort in my personal canon, you might say.
Posted Image

Forum Morale Division Member

Official "Trek United Donation Ticker Watcher Show "-Member

#19 Guest_The Last Rock Band on the Planet_*

Guest_The Last Rock Band on the Planet_*

• Guests

Posted 04 March 2005 - 03:20 PM

I mean, if I switch off the part of my brain that watched Trek, it's totally watchable.

View Post

But why should we have to switch off that part of our brain? I don't read the novels, I just watch TOS and NG but insulting your core audience seems to be stupid. I, in fact, hated Insurrection as well.

You HAVE to look at these films in the context of the whole Trek universe (or at least the preceding films and series.) That was what made First Contact so great, it fit into the Trek universe and was a great, smart, funny film to boot.

#20 Mc Douglas

Mc Douglas

Fleet Admiral

• Members
  • 2,420 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 05:58 PM

View Post

Absolutely right! I have the novelisation of Star Trek Nemesis and I love it. Why did they not want a 2 1/2 hour movie? :(
"Sag mal Atan, das Ganze war doch wohl nur ein böser Traum, oder? - Viel schlimmer, das war Science Fiction." (Raumpatrouille Orion)

"I've always wondered why it's okay for football fans to go to a football game with their faces painted and sloshing beer around and that's considered old fashioned American fun. Yet someone dressing as a Klingon is considered weird. You don't see Star Trek fans after a convention running through the streets and turning over cars or breaking windows in a drunken haze. Star Trek fans benevolent optimistic and incredibly intelligent."
(Manny Coto 02/23/05)

Posted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users