What is your worst Troi episode?

16 replies to this topic

#1 CJinOz

CJinOz

Welcomed Star Trek Fan

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 08:29 PM

Hi everyone. I'm a newbie and first time poster (well, apart from my REAL first post just a few minutes ago in the Voyager forum).

I read all of the topics in this forum and could not find one about episodes featuring Counsellor Troi that they did NOT like. The only reference at all that I found to Troi in the topics on both topic pages was one asking for people's fave Troi ep, but there must be something seriously lacking in a TNG forum if there isn't a worst Troi topic.

I just found it frustrating that Troi was often such a wet blanket, always asking dumb questions like "Well how do you feel about it?" etc. And the script writers seemed to recognise this in one CLASSIC moment, when she says just that to Picard. It goes something like this:

[Setting: Captain's ready room. Present are Picard and Troi. Picard is discussing some problem with Troi.]
Troi: How do YOU feel about that?
Picard (sighing): I hate it when you do that.

Ha! Brilliant!

Now, forgive me if I don't know the name of this ep. I'm hoping someone a bit more of an expert than I am will be able to tell me.

What do other posters think about Troi's character? Would they REALLY let someone like that be on a carefully disciplined space mission? And I can NOT believe that they would give her such a high rank. A counsellor should have NO rank and be an advisory role only.

CJinOz.

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 Captain_Hair

Captain_Hair

Master of all things, jack of none

• VIP
  • 50,337 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 08:34 PM

She really was a wet blanket sometimes... it really felt like she was often just used as a plot shortcut (Captain, he's lying).

Oh, and welcome to TrekUnited! :D

Posted Image

#3 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

Player of all things Warcraft

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 02:31 PM

While I don't mind Troi too much, she always got the dumb stories. So all of them. And don't get me started on her mother.

Welcome to TU!

Edited by ensign edwards, 19 November 2006 - 02:31 PM.

#4 Madame President

Madame President

Confused, as a general rule

• Members
  • 5,856 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 11:45 PM

I liked troi okay as a character, but all the episodes that were about her completely sucked. The one I hate the most might be the when she loses her empathic abilities and somehow that makes her angry at everyone in the whole world, because she's just irritated through the whole thing, and its just not particularly awesome to watch. anyways
"Only Nixon can go to China." -Vulcan Proverb

Landru: are you of the Body?

Proud to be a member of SANITY

#5 ticktrek

ticktrek

Commander of Starfleet

• Members
  • 2,573 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 11:59 PM

I liked troi okay as a character, but all the episodes that were about her completely sucked. The one I hate the most might be the when she loses her empathic abilities and somehow that makes her angry at everyone in the whole world, because she's just irritated through the whole thing, and its just not particularly awesome to watch. anyways

I think that one was on Spike last week...for maybe it was G4. Anyway, I saw that one recently. Not the best. The one I really disliked was the one with the deaf negotiator, Reva. The one with her and that half Betazed negotiator that she was sleeping with wasn't great either. And then there was the one where she got really horny then aged quickly. The list goes on and on.
Connorseurs do it with Cuteness
"Let's make sure history never forgets the name: Enterprise."
-- Captain Jean-Luc Picard , TNG 163

Posted Image

#6 Overmind

Overmind

Vice Admiral

• Members
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 05:03 PM

Worst...well there isn't one.
Episodes are not to bright, but can't be called bad either.

Edited by Overmind, 27 November 2006 - 05:04 PM.

I am the Universe. Resistance is futile. The Truth is classified.

#7 B'atL'eth's Blood

B'atL'eth's Blood

Commander

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 06:32 PM

The concept of her character as a Bridge Officer was OK, just the execution that was flawed. They used her too much as a "lie detector" when dealing with other species. The films fleshed out her character/abilities more to her advantage. I found it odd that the one episode where the crew discovered the 3 people in cryosleep, the one guy who was obsessed with his "porfolio" had a GREATER insight into the Romulan intent than Deanna Troi. For the most part, any Troi episode on the series was doomed from the start due to lack of imagination, and poor execution.

#8 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Pick Your Own Title

• Members
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 08:06 AM

I thought "The Child" was pretty apalling. Troi's reaction towards that freaky kid was supposed to show a mother's compassion and nurturing nature, but most women would have been deeply disturbed by a thirty-six hour pregnancy and a kid that was weaned at five minutes old!

#9 Naruto

Naruto

1st Year Cadet

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 09:13 PM

I thought "The Child" was pretty apalling. Troi's reaction towards that freaky kid was supposed to show a mother's compassion and nurturing nature, but most women would have been deeply disturbed by a thirty-six hour pregnancy and a kid that was weaned at five minutes old!

I concur.

That episode honestly made me cringe, seriously. =P

#10 wildcard1377

wildcard1377

Version 3.1

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 08:13 PM

^ and ^^...that's not surprising that neither of you liked that episode. It was originally written for Ilia in the never-to-be Star Trek: Phase II series. Ironically, if I recall, it WAS one of Gene's own original scripts, just adapted/updated for Troi!

Least favorite episode for Troi? Well, she was one of my favorite characters from TNG, so I have a hard time finding a least favorite. I agree the execution of her character was not handled well and there are MANY things that could have been better....but the same could be said for several characters in other Trek series as well.

Posted Image

#11 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Pick Your Own Title

• Members
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 03:56 AM

^ and ^^...that's not surprising that neither of you liked that episode. It was originally written for Ilia in the never-to-be Star Trek: Phase II series. Ironically, if I recall, it WAS one of Gene's own original scripts, just adapted/updated for Troi!

Now I never knew that, but it figures. I hated Ilia as she was portrayed in TMP. I don't buy the idea of a "sexually advanced" race in that way.

#12 Crashko

Crashko

Master Warrant Officer

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 08:17 AM

they are always changing her dress.

#13 Maco Captain

Maco Captain

Commodore

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 12:49 PM

I can't recall the name. but i remember an unsightly close up of a foot massage. After that, i alwayas watched the trailer for next weeks show.No more surpises like that for me. :argh:

#14 Commander Lazar

Commander Lazar

Vice Admiral

• Members
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 05:21 AM

Can't remember right now but i know there's a bad Troi episode.

#15 Greystone

Greystone

Master Warrant Officer

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 07:38 PM

Anything from the first two seasons.

#16 lanshan75

lanshan75

Welcomed Star Trek Fan

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 02:54 AM

I have been annoyed by this problem for a long time,so thank you for your post, it is really useful for me.

#17 Commander Ji Qi Ren

Commander Ji Qi Ren

2nd Year Cadet

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 01:43 PM

The concept of her character as a Bridge Officer was OK, just the execution that was flawed. They used her too much as a "lie detector" when dealing with other species. The films fleshed out her character/abilities more to her advantage. I found it odd that the one episode where the crew discovered the 3 people in cryosleep, the one guy who was obsessed with his "porfolio" had a GREATER insight into the Romulan intent than Deanna Troi. For the most part, any Troi episode on the series was doomed from the start due to lack of imagination, and poor execution.

Maybe the whole idea that you have to be an empath to understand aliens is slightly misguided. I mean, sure it can help. But maybe studying alien cultures and their psychology would help and Troi seems to lack this kind of analytic thinking (or at least we don't get to see it). I mean, come on... she's actually supposed to have a degree in psychology. It would be cool if there was some alien race that was so different that nobody could understand them readily and she'd have to use both her Betazoid skills as well as some sort of actual knowledge to figure them out in-depth. LOL, Picard does a better job communicating with Dathon in "Darmok" than Troi would do in the same situation.
So many of her lines are just redundant, like she says "I sense ...." when some character's facial expression clearly reflects their emotion and you don't need much empathy to tell.

I don't find her that bad. But I find all her boyfriends and man-trouble majorly annoying, especially because she consistently shows poor judgement herself, yet is supposed to advise others.

Edited by Commander Ji Qi Ren, 27 August 2012 - 01:44 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users