Trek United Member - Project Survey

28 replies to this topic

#1 Phill

Phill

Ghost in the machine

• Members
  • 2,853 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 04:40 PM

If TrekUnited were to run a charity project what charities would you like to be able to donate to as a TU member?

Would you prefer to donate to only international and neutral charities or would you prefer to be able to select a charity by the country it is based in?

Thank you all!

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 ticktrek

ticktrek

Commander of Starfleet

• Members
  • 2,573 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 06:54 PM

I like the Salvation Army. They do a lot of good things here. They have a huge homeless shelter for families as well as singles, a cooking school, a food bank, they refurnish homes that have burned, provide food for disasters and so much more. Several of my former students lived at their shelter and attested to the good treatment they received there. For many years I collected food for them as part of a food for fines program. I don't know if they work in Europe or in other continents, but I see the good things they do in Mexico.
Connorseurs do it with Cuteness
"Let's make sure history never forgets the name: Enterprise."
-- Captain Jean-Luc Picard , TNG 163

Posted Image

#3 Shodar

Shodar

Will Call Back Later

• Members
  • 5,761 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 11:46 AM

My stepfatehr works for a literacy program with the Salvation Army. They do some good work. But personally I would think more something that doesn't have religious affiliation might be more appropriate.
Visit these links (and others that the forum won't let me post):
Doctors without Borders --- Amnesty International --- ICotRC --- UNICEF

#4 AdmiralRooster

AdmiralRooster

The Great And Powerful Rooster

• Members
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 11:51 AM

I dont think we should exclude certain charitable projects just because of religous affiliations. Whether we agree with the affiliation or not, provided the funds provided go towards the applicable charitable cause, then I don't see an issue.

That being said, I don't know enough about the Salvation Army to pass judgement on thier charitable causes, and how the funds provided are distributed.

#5 Bill

Bill

TU Manager (aka DefiantVulcan)

• Managment
  • 5,050 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 11:58 AM

For the here and now, to see how much activity we can gather, how about helping Aklaus with this project here ,International Volunteer day. There is a goal she has set for community hours volunteered by our members.

Life is a con
stant series of adaptations. and I am adapting as fast as I can!

#6 Shlomi of Vulcan

Shlomi of Vulcan

Resident Vulcan Old-Fogey

• Members
  • 9,305 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 02:47 PM

I'd like to see work with The National Multiple Sclerosis Society.
"Having problems with the present? Find solace in the fact that some future generations will call these "the good ole' days." Shmu'el Ben Shalom

"If I wanted to argue about which imaginary friend is tougher, I'd just go to church" Jason of KC

Politically Incorrectile Dysfunction

#7 RogueEntity

RogueEntity

::Resident Dragon::

• Members
  • 7,369 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 04:48 PM

As always, my funds and donations would be for cancer research for personal reasons.
"Difficult takes a few seconds; impossible, a few minutes" - McKay

#8 Phill

Phill

Ghost in the machine

• Members
  • 2,853 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 05:29 PM

Thank you all for your suggestions, please keep them coming you really are making my plans easier, all will be revealed soon.

#9 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

Player of all things Warcraft

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 11:25 AM

My stepfatehr works for a literacy program with the Salvation Army. They do some good work. But personally I would think more something that doesn't have religious affiliation might be more appropriate.

I agree.

I suggest WSPA (World society for protection of animals) they do very good work all over the world. Unicef would be good too, they have no religous bias and they help whole villages not just one kid at a time.

#10 Trek Realist

Trek Realist

Amicus Hostis

• Members
  • 7,706 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 11:44 PM

If I had to choose it would be groups like The Sea Shepard Society or Doctors Without Borders.
Atheism is not a religion. It is a personal relationship with reality.

Quis custodiet ipso custodes

My Blog

#11 sevnson_71

sevnson_71

TU Forum Manager - Resident killjoy

• Forum Administrators
  • 13,611 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 08:37 PM

As with Rogue, I have personal reasons for my suggestions American Cancer Society(an American charity but they fund an international effort to cure the disease). Also Joslin Clinic for diabetes research, and the United Way are good charities as well.
Posted Image

So the combination is 1-2-3-4-5. That's the stupidest combination I've ever heard in my life! That's the kind of thing an idiot would have on his luggage!- Dark Helmet; "Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark; "Half the world is composed of people who have something to say and can't, and the other half who have nothing to say and keep on saying it." -Robert Frost; "It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." - Samuel Adams, Brewer/Patriot
FORUM RULES

#12 DOSMAN

DOSMAN

Commodore

• Members
  • 556 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 12:02 AM

Since I assume we'd be rotating among charities or will otherwise have a selection of charities to support, I urge you to look at some environmental and even space-related organizations as well. Earth Share and Conservation International, for example. Also, I like a lot of what The Planetary Society does to support space science and exploration. Some of you might remember that they commented on the cancellation of Enterprise last year (link). Star Trek and TPS have had a long history together, so it'd be great to put them on our list.
Computer? Yep. Internet? Of course. >>> So put them to good use!

TrekCore - TOS, TAS, TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT, Movies, and Gaming

#13 Fatheadcookie

Fatheadcookie

Admiral

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 06:25 PM

How about one that is very real and no one brings up...AUTISM.

Posted Image

#14 sevnson_71

sevnson_71

• Forum Administrators
  • 13,611 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 07:09 PM

very good point FHC, There is also the Doug Flutie, Jr. Foundation.
Posted Image

So the combination is 1-2-3-4-5. That's the stupidest combination I've ever heard in my life! That's the kind of thing an idiot would have on his luggage!- Dark Helmet; "Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark; "Half the world is composed of people who have something to say and can't, and the other half who have nothing to say and keep on saying it." -Robert Frost; "It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." - Samuel Adams, Brewer/Patriot
FORUM RULES

#15 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

Player of all things Warcraft

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 11:39 AM

Since I assume we'd be rotating among charities or will otherwise have a selection of charities to support, I urge you to look at some environmental and even space-related organizations as well. Earth Share and Conservation International, for example. Also, I like a lot of what The Planetary Society does to support space science and exploration. Some of you might remember that they commented on the cancellation of Enterprise last year (link). Star Trek and TPS have had a long history together, so it'd be great to put them on our list.

Not a bad idea.

#16 Shodar

Shodar

Will Call Back Later

• Members
  • 5,761 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 07:22 PM

I'd like to add UNICEF to the idea pot.

So far we seem to have 4 main categories:

1. environmental/space
2. diseases and conditions
3. Humanitarian aid around the world (un, doctors without borders)
4. Humanitarian aid locally (united way, sally ann)
Visit these links (and others that the forum won't let me post):
Doctors without Borders --- Amnesty International --- ICotRC --- UNICEF

#17 Phill

Phill

Ghost in the machine

• Members
  • 2,853 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 08:16 PM

Keep these ideas comming guys, Sorry I haven't said much here I've been working my ass of a lot but all your suggestions are going down in my notebook and on my plans.

I'm throwing the idea of donating to your favourite sci-fi actor's charity in the mix.

I know for a start that Connor Trinneer's chosen charity is the American Cancer Society

more to come

#18 Lioness

Lioness

Fleet Admiral

• Members
  • 2,146 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 10:41 AM

I know for a start that Connor Trinneer's chosen charity is the American Cancer Society

That would be my choice, too - not because of Connor ;), but for personal reasons.

Plus Doctors Without Borders.

#19 sevnson_71

sevnson_71

• Forum Administrators
  • 13,611 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 11:04 AM

That would be my choice, too - not because of Connor ;) , but for personal reasons.

Plus Doctors Without Borders.

I really don't think that there is a person on this planet who hasn't been affected one way or another by cancer, Lioness. It's an equal opportunity scourge.
Posted Image

FORUM RULES

#20 Lioness

Lioness

Fleet Admiral

• Members
  • 2,146 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 11:09 AM

I really don't think that there is a person on this planet who hasn't been affected one way or another by cancer, Lioness. It's an equal opportunity scourge.

That´s very true. :(

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users