Photo

Rate "Balance of Terror" (New CGI Version)

24 replies to this topic

Poll: Rate "Balance of Terror" (New CGI Version) (21 member(s) have cast votes)

How would you rate this TOS episode with the new CGI?

1. A. (8 votes [38.10%])

Percentage of vote: 38.10%

2. B. (9 votes [42.86%])

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

3. C. (1 votes [4.76%])

Percentage of vote: 4.76%

4. D. (1 votes [4.76%])

5. E. (1 votes [4.76%])

6. F. (1 votes [4.76%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 NX014Ever

NX014Ever

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 03:50 PM

How would you rate the Star Trek: TOS episode "Balance of Terror" with the new CGI effects?
Use the spoiler code when necessary:

Spoiler

Episode Info: http://www.tv.com/st...99/summary.html

I will give it a 'B' only because of the obvious places where it was edited. But loved the new CGI (Especially the seeing the plating on the Bird of Prey)!
"There's one thing you never put in a trap if your smart. If you have any plans of seeing tomorrow there's one thing you never, ever, put in a trap...Me!" - The (11th) Doctor. [/center][/size]

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 Guest_Bruce_*

Guest_Bruce_*

• Guests

Posted 17 September 2006 - 09:32 PM

How would you rate the Star Trek: TOS episode "Balance of Terror" with the new CGI effects?
Use the spoiler code when necessary:

Spoiler

Episode Info: http://www.tv.com/st...99/summary.html

I will give it a 'B' only because of the obvious places where it was edited. But loved the new CGI (Especially the seeing the plating on the Bird of Prey)!

I think if you did not know about the changes you wouldn't notice, but most trek fans would,
Spoiler

Later Bruce

#3 Kyle Nin

Kyle Nin

Pick Your Own Title

• Members
  • 7,377 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 01:06 PM

There's no such thing as an "E" rating. At least there wasn't at the schools I went to.
Posted Image
Leverage -- Season 5 on DVD Coming September 17th

"The numbers are bad! The numbers are bad!" -- Hugo "Hurley" Reyes, Lost - Season 1
"Boone's death was a sacrifice that the island demanded." -- John Locke, Lost - Season 2
"When was it you lost your imagination, son?" -- Dr. Walter Bishop, Fringe - Season 1

#4 Kyle Nin

Kyle Nin

Pick Your Own Title

• Members
  • 7,377 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 01:42 PM

I really can't vote for the episode itself, just the new FX, which is why I was watching the new episodes. The comet, the Romulan weapon, and the scenes where the Enterprise shoots at the Romulan ship: those get an "A". Everything else gets a "C". The movement of the ships just weren't realistic. They seemed to be too wobbly. But maybe it seems like that because the movement of the ships didn't match the apparent movement of the stars in the background.

So, as an average, it would be a "B".
Posted Image

"The numbers are bad! The numbers are bad!" -- Hugo "Hurley" Reyes, Lost - Season 1
"Boone's death was a sacrifice that the island demanded." -- John Locke, Lost - Season 2
"When was it you lost your imagination, son?" -- Dr. Walter Bishop, Fringe - Season 1

#5 WeatherManNX01

WeatherManNX01

Sir Sexy - USA! USA! USA!

• Members
  • 26,110 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 01:57 PM

There's no such thing as an "E" rating. At least there wasn't at the schools I went to.

Actually, according to my parents, "E" used to be the grade given for failing. Eventually it was changed to "F" so that it actually stood for "fail".

Posted Image

#6 Kyle Nin

Kyle Nin

Pick Your Own Title

• Members
  • 7,377 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 02:18 PM

Actually, according to my parents, "E" used to be the grade given for failing. Eventually it was changed to "F" so that it actually stood for "fail".

So ... "E" and "F" have the same value? I think there should only be one of them on the list. Of course, to me it doesn't matter, because I don't see myself giving any of these episodes a failing grade.
Posted Image

#7 WeatherManNX01

WeatherManNX01

Sir Sexy - USA! USA! USA!

• Members
  • 26,110 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 02:20 PM

So ... "E" and "F" have the same value? I think there should only be one of them on the list. Of course, to me it doesn't matter, because I don't see myself giving any of these episodes a failing grade.

Well, I didn't set up the poll, so I don't know what NX014Ever had in mind, but that's what I know an "E" to be. ;)

Posted Image

#8 Kyle Nin

Kyle Nin

Pick Your Own Title

• Members
  • 7,377 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 02:37 PM

Well, I didn't set up the poll, so I don't know what NX014Ever had in mind, but that's what I know an "E" to be. ;)

Yeah. I know you didn't make the poll. I was just hoping that NX014Ever would see what I said and not make that error again in future polls, which I'm assuming will be done for the rest of the CGI episodes.
Posted Image

#9 Kyle Nin

Kyle Nin

Pick Your Own Title

• Members
  • 7,377 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 04:50 PM

You know, I wish that someone could post "before and after" screenshots of the special FX scenes. Of course, for most of them it looks better in motion. But it would give some people an idea of how much better the FX are.
Posted Image

#10 NX014Ever

NX014Ever

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 05:11 PM

Yeah. I know you didn't make the poll. I was just hoping that NX014Ever would see what I said and not make that error again in future polls, which I'm assuming will be done for the rest of the CGI episodes.

:blush5: Well, it is on the "Miri" one too. Sorry about that. Wasn't thinking straight there. Rest assured, that the "E" shall not return again people. Again, sorry. :blush5:

And originally I thought about making 2 polls. One for the story, and one for the new effects. What do guys think?
"There's one thing you never put in a trap if your smart. If you have any plans of seeing tomorrow there's one thing you never, ever, put in a trap...Me!" - The (11th) Doctor. [/center][/size]

#11 NX014Ever

NX014Ever

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 05:36 PM

You know, I wish that someone could post "before and after" screenshots of the special FX scenes. Of course, for most of them it looks better in motion. But it would give some people an idea of how much better the FX are.

You can find before and afters for "Balance of Terror" screencaps here;

http://www.trekbbs.c...?Number=6604665 :)

Hope this helps.

#12 Kyle Nin

Kyle Nin

Pick Your Own Title

• Members
  • 7,377 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 03:48 PM

Yeah. See, this is what I was talking about. Doesn't the new comet look a whole lot better?

OLD:

http://img133.imagev...d_122_540lo.jpg

NEW:

http://img106.imagev...w_122_398lo.jpg

Of course, it looks better on the show when it's in motion. (The one from the original episode didn't move, as far as I could tell.)
Posted Image

#13 Horatio

Horatio

Warrant Officer 1st Class

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 09:02 AM

Mixed feelings. I thought the overall look of the episode with the remastered print was absolutely incredibly beautiful. I don't think you can find color and lighting like that on any series anymore.

I thought the comet was a wonderful improvement. The Romulan Bird of Prey's red blob weapoons shot was a nice improvement. I thought the Bird of Prey was an overall improvement.

The Enterprise though.... I dunno. It looked almost to cartoonish. Maybe its because i'm not watching it in high def ( if that should even make a difference). I really liked the shot of the Enterprise after it had been hit by the nuclear device.

I'm withholding all judgements until I see more of the episodes, but overall, I give it a big thumbs up. The way I see it, the purists can hate it and can watch the original episodes. I think its great that the remastering is being done because it gets people talking about Original Trek again - and thats always a good thing! :D

#14 Rhett Coates

Rhett Coates

Commodore

• Members
  • 631 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 05:26 PM

I really liked the shot of the Enterprise after it had been hit by the nuclear device.

I'm withholding all judgements until I see more of the episodes, but overall, I give it a big thumbs up. The way I see it, the purists can hate it and can watch the original episodes. I think its great that the remastering is being done because it gets people talking about Original Trek again - and thats always a good thing! :D

YEAH: that shot of the 1701 actually spinning out of control after the blast -- even at a slow, listing tilt -- was tremendous. It seemed more alive than the 'static' shot of the model simply TILTED as was done in the 1960s.

Some of the starfields seemed a little cartoonish -- but only with the takes when the 1701's proximity phasers were blowing up in space, and the CAMERA appeared to shake (that was odd to me, for some reason). Other than that little tid-bit, I was quite impressed with what they did. And the OPENING THEME MUSIC..... Just: WOW.

I'm looking forward to the UNCUT versions when the DVD's are finally released -- to see EVERY shot that was re-mastered. THAT will be worth the wait.

ONE SIDE NOTE ABOUT ALL OF THIS: I am wondering if they will actually incorporate the DS9 characters in The Trouble With Tribbles -- even though that will open a can of worms to the purists, it may be interesting if they actually create TWO versions of it: the ORIGINAL AS IS (with newly created SFX, of course), and a second version that actually shows the DS9 characters in the few scenes they appeared in -- in TOS parts ONLY." Comments are welcome about that aspect of this TOS re-mastering project -- even from Mike and Denise Okuda! And that's just THE BEGINNING of where they could take this project.......
~~~ Regarding the woman EVE, in TOS episode "Mudd's Women" ~~~

KIRK: "There's only one kind of woman--"
HARRY MUDD: "--or man, for that matter--"
KIRK: "--You either believe in yourself, or you don't."

(Truer Star Trek words were never spoken.)

"Good words. That's where ideas begin." --David Marcus, in ST2:TWOK)

A quote spoken by Tom Hanks, portraying the Train conductor, near the end of the film The Polar Express, describes the secret to a fulfilled life in a nutshell: "One thing about trains: it doesn't really matter where they're going; what matters is deciding to get on." (Now, if more people lived by that adage, Gene Roddenberry's vision might come about a lot faster! -- RC)

Posted Image

#15 Horatio

Horatio

Warrant Officer 1st Class

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 09:35 AM

I'm looking forward to the UNCUT versions when the DVD's are finally released -- to see EVERY shot that was re-mastered.

ONE SIDE NOTE ABOUT ALL OF THIS: I am wondering if they will actually incorporate the DS9 characters in The Trouble With Tribbles --

The broadcast version edited out the scene of the Bird of Prey damaged in space just before self destructing. I'm sure that scene will be in the DVD release or other non commercial broadcasts.

I don't know if they'll put the DS9 stuff in or not. They seem pretty intent on not messing with the work of the original directors and such.

#16 Rhett Coates

Rhett Coates

Commodore

• Members
  • 631 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 12:09 PM

I don't know if they'll put the DS9 stuff in or not. They seem pretty intent on not messing with the work of the original directors and such.

That's EXACTLY what I meant when I suggested they might consider creating A SECOND EDITION of TTWT episode: including the DS9 cast in various shots. No need to show EVERY scene that the DS9 people faced, as Kirk & Co. didn't even know them -- even when Sisko got Kirk's autograph at the end of the episode -- but it WOULD make for an interesting SIDE-PRODUCT from Paramount Home Video, would it not? I'd certainly buy it!

Hmmm.... I wonder just how many crewmen aboard the 1701 passed between Kirk & Uhura, in that same style of scene [crewmen acquiring Kirk's signature on various Ship's Reports - which, as most of us know, was gleened from the "Mirror, Mirror" episode's tag, and altered to show SISKO instead of Marlene]. I'm almost certain that Uhura's curiosity and genuine interest in people would inspire her to nearly always look over her shoulder - or WANT to, anyway - at whomever approached the Captain's Chair, even when on Official Ship's Business ... maybe sort of like The Picard Manuver - HIS SHIRT-tugging, not the USS Stargazer's famous battle move ....LOL!
~~~ Regarding the woman EVE, in TOS episode "Mudd's Women" ~~~

KIRK: "There's only one kind of woman--"
HARRY MUDD: "--or man, for that matter--"
KIRK: "--You either believe in yourself, or you don't."

(Truer Star Trek words were never spoken.)

"Good words. That's where ideas begin." --David Marcus, in ST2:TWOK)

A quote spoken by Tom Hanks, portraying the Train conductor, near the end of the film The Polar Express, describes the secret to a fulfilled life in a nutshell: "One thing about trains: it doesn't really matter where they're going; what matters is deciding to get on." (Now, if more people lived by that adage, Gene Roddenberry's vision might come about a lot faster! -- RC)

Posted Image

#17 HAL9000

HAL9000

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 12:31 AM

Well I was able watch the episode finally,and what can I say?I really liked what they done!
I loved the new shots of the USS Enterprise and the Romulan War ship,now that is how
Star Trek should look like!Futuristic and sleek,not cartoonish.Dont get me wrong,I like the original version of the series,but if you look at them like that it looks out dated.I am sure that,way back in the 1960s,to the people who first watched Star Trek must had been fantastic.But now,here we are,.in the first 6 years of the 21st Century,and I am glad that they are treating Star Trek with the proper respect.

The Enterprise looks now like a real ship and not like a toy model,the planets look fantastic and I loved the new phasers.Great job!I am looking forward to more episodes and the eventual realese of the series
on DVD!

However I am not sure if Paramount is planning to add DS9 charachters into the
Trouble with Tribbles episode,although It will interesting to see that....

Happy 40th anniversary Star Trek!!

:D :D
Posted Image

Great Mazinger,For All Mankind!!!

#18 Domo_Arigato_Mr_Mugato

Domo_Arigato_Mr_Mugato

1st Year Cadet

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 01:30 PM

I think adding the DS9 characters to TTWT is a bad idea. I don't just say that because I'm anal retentive about preserving the orginal show, but I think it would be distracting. Take the scene from Trials and Tribblations where Kirk and Spock walk by Dax and Sisko for example. What you would see is a woman behind Kirk and Spock giggling and pointing at Spock and a man who is acting suspciously. For Trek fans who know whats going on this wouldn't be a big deal, but it would distract the average viewer.

#19 ticktrek

ticktrek

Commander of Starfleet

• Members
  • 2,573 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 03:54 PM

Last night, I finally got to see this episode, bring to a total of three that I have seen. I guess the best way to describe the remastering is to compare it to a car that has just come through the car wash...it's the same car, but different and better.

I'm anxious to see the rest, just wish they were on earlier.
Connorseurs do it with Cuteness
"Let's make sure history never forgets the name: Enterprise."
-- Captain Jean-Luc Picard , TNG 163

Posted Image

#20 JoannaPoe

JoannaPoe

Fleet Admiral

• Members
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 10:55 PM

Just happened on another side-by-side comparison, if anyone's interested. Very sweet! :)

I give it an A. I'm glad somebody can go back and update their special effects without fooling with the actual content. *cough* Lucas! *cough* <_<

I think part of a best friend's job should be to immediately clear your browser history when you die.

ST: Unity

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users