NX014Ever

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 06:55 PM

Just found this on the Web!

By Josh Tyler: 2006-07-17
Posted Image

As one of the few movie site head honchos (or whatever the hell I am) that's actually out in the open about being a recovering Trekkie, you'd think someone would have had the sense to email me about this sooner. But, the guys over at The Movie Blog are running a story from TrekWeb on what they call a new Star Trek fan film. But this isn't a fan film at all. Instead, according to the production's official press release it's a miniseries, to be broadcast on the internet in a series of webisodes this Christmas.

What makes this more interesting than the usual slate of lame Trek fan films, is that it features actual members of the real Star Trek cast, it's being written by real Star Trek writers, and it's being directed by Tim Russ, who played Tuvok on "Star Trek: Voyager" (and also had sex with Shannon Tweed in Night Eyes 2).

When I say "real" castmembers, I don't mean they've dug up some guy who played a Borg in "The Best of Both Worlds Pt. 1". Original Trek icons Walter Koenig and Nichelle Nichols are starring in the film, as Chekov and Uhura. Along with them are slightly more minor figures from the universe, including Grace Lee Whitney (Janice Rand), Alan Ruck (Captain Cameron… er I mean Captain Harriman from Generations), Garrett Wang (Voyager), Chase Masterson (Deep Space Nine), Gary Graham (Enterprise), Crystal Allen (Enterprise), JG Hertzler (Deep Space 9).

The miniseries is being called "Star Trek: Of Gods and Men", and the more I read about it the less it sounds like a fan film. This is a legitimate, moneymaking enterprise with original cast members. Odds are that to make something like this they've got the blessing of Paramount and whoever else is in charge of the Roddenberry empire these days. Fan film implies a movie made by fans outside the lines of legality. But this looks a miniseries made for fans (instead of by them), with the blessing of the Star Trek franchise. Think of it as one of those cheaply written Star Trek universe novels brought to life.

As for plot, there aren't a lot of details yet, though principle photography began on July 12th. Check out their full press release on the production here on the project's official site. The first episode is supposed to be released this Christmas.

Though JJ Abrams is working on a new theatrical Star Trek movie, for now the franchise is in the toilet. Besides, it's starting to sound more and more like Abrams is pretty disinterested in making anything that'll work for existing Trek fans without trampling all over 30 years of continuity. If Russ and his group manage to deliver a quality product, this may be the only good way for real Trek fans to get a decent fix. We'll keep an eye on it.

Meanwhile, to see a bigger version of the cast pic posted with this article, click over to TrekWeb.

Original article can be found here;

http://www.cinemable...-Trek-2990.html
"There's one thing you never put in a trap if your smart. If you have any plans of seeing tomorrow there's one thing you never, ever, put in a trap...Me!" - The (11th) Doctor. [/center][/size]

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 christrekkie

christrekkie

Trek to Troops Coordinator

• Members
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 06:04 PM

I am hearing some exciteing things from chase Masterson and from a friend that works with the project everything sounds exciteing my knowledge is limited :( well very limited but what I hear it sounds great :)
Christopher Mulroonye
Founder/President
Trek to the Troops

US Army Veteran
www.trektothetroops.org
www.christophermulrooney.com

#3 NX014Ever

NX014Ever

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 06:08 PM

It's a shame that we have to wait so long for "New Voyages" stuff. But when it comes out, I'm sure it will be worth the wait. What they have done so far was well worth the wait!
"There's one thing you never put in a trap if your smart. If you have any plans of seeing tomorrow there's one thing you never, ever, put in a trap...Me!" - The (11th) Doctor. [/center][/size]

#4 christrekkie

christrekkie

• Members
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 06:31 PM

YEah for sure I am looking foward in seeing the Walter's Episode.
Christopher Mulroonye
Founder/President
Trek to the Troops

US Army Veteran
www.trektothetroops.org

#5 Bill

Bill

TU Manager (aka DefiantVulcan)

• Managment
  • 5,072 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 06:43 PM

This is not a New Voyages production, James Cawley has let another group use his facilities and volunteers to produce this 3 part webisode.

For more on this check out this story on TU main page.

http://trekunited.co...p...66&Itemid=2

Life is a con
stant series of adaptations. and I am adapting as fast as I can!

#6 christrekkie

christrekkie

• Members
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 07:16 PM

Oh yeah I have heard that.
Christopher Mulroonye
Founder/President
Trek to the Troops

US Army Veteran
www.trektothetroops.org

#7 Kirok

Kirok

Publishing and Media Director, Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 05:07 AM

Just found this on the Web!

By Josh Tyler: 2006-07-17
As one of the few movie site head honchos (or whatever the hell I am) that's actually out in the open about being a recovering Trekkie, you'd think someone would have had the sense to email me about this sooner....

What makes this more interesting than the usual slate of lame Trek fan films, is that it features actual members of the real Star Trek cast, it's being written by real Star Trek writers, and it's being directed by Tim Russ, who played Tuvok on "Star Trek: Voyager" (and also had sex with Shannon Tweed in Night Eyes 2).

...The miniseries is being called "Star Trek: Of Gods and Men", and the more I read about it the less it sounds like a fan film. This is a legitimate, moneymaking enterprise with original cast members. Odds are that to make something like this they've got the blessing of Paramount and whoever else is in charge of the Roddenberry empire these days. Fan film implies a movie made by fans outside the lines of legality. But this looks a miniseries made for fans (instead of by them), with the blessing of the Star Trek franchise. Think of it as one of those cheaply written Star Trek universe novels brought to life.

This is the kind of misinformation that confuses people. I posted the following comment to the entry ...

"This is a legitimate, moneymaking enterprise" You maybe know something that we don't? It's going to be released for free on the internet and the official website, Startrek.com, calls ST "OGAM"a fan production" .

Mr. James Cawley of New Voyages hopes that fan films like this (and incidentally his own) will someday be licenced by CBS Paramount but until that day dawns they will still be fan films. Made by very professional fans to be sure (and promising to push the envelope on fan productions) but still fans.

To which I got the reply ...

Kirok, this is not a fan film. You can call it a fan film all you want, but a fan film is a movie made by fans. This is a movie made FOR fans.

First off, this isn't a movie, it's a miniseries.

Secondly, it's made by Star Trek cast members, NOT fans. Star Trek cast members don't count as fans, and if they do then Star Trek 5 is a fan film.

As for their marketing plans, I have no idea. But they're obviously sinking at least a little money into it whoever is financing it. Even released for free on StarTrek.com there are ways to make money off of it. DVD release, banner ads, registration fees or whatever... and more power to them for it if they do any of that.

If they're smart they will.

This doesn't sound like something they're just going to shove out for free on You Tube.

Well excuse me, but I find this kind of elitist BS pretty hard to take. Let's look at some facts.
  • According to Wikipedia:"A fan film is a film or video inspired by a movie, television show, comic book or a similar source, created by fans rather than by the source's copyright holders or creators. Fan filmakers have traditionally been amateurs, but some of the more notable films have actually been produced by professional filmmakers as film school class projects or as demonstration reels." OGAM is pushing the envelope in this regard in that it is being made by professionals, it is true, but I think the operative point here is that Paramount have NOT given them any legal sanction to make this production. This movie would not be in production now except for the groundwork done by the Trek fan films like New Voyages, Hidden frontiers and Exeter which have gone before it. Don't play semantics - if it's not a fan film, what is it?
  • So it's a miniseries. And your point is? <shakes head> What was Hidden Frontiers? Chopped liver?
  • "Secondly, it's made by Star Trek cast members, NOT fans. Star Trek cast members don't count as fans, and if they do then Star Trek 5 is a fan film." Professionals can't be fans? They are not permitted to perform in fan films? Someone had better tell all the professionals helping out on Star Trek: New Voyages, and while you're at it tell the writer of Exeter and the other Trek Writers who have given their input to other productions. Walter Koenig put the lie to that one when he said "there are fans who are professionals".
  • "... they're obviously sinking at least a little money into it whoever is financing it. Even released for free on StarTrek.com there are ways to make money off of it. DVD release, banner ads, registration fees or whatever..." This is going to be one of the ways that OGAM is going to push the envelope, by showing how a fan could be used as an indirect money earner. As things stand ...
    • NO they can't release it as a DVD for sale
    • NO they can't sell advertising with it
    • NO they can't sell registrations with it, or accept donations, or have a tip jar ...
  • So how could it possibly recover any of the capital that has obviously been sunk into it? At the risk of falling on my face and looking like a complete ass, I'll make some long shots and ask some pointed questions ...
    • I think the main point to note is that the producer and senior writer of OGAM is Sky Douglas Conway, not only the producer of Roddenberry on Patrol (directed by Tim Russ) and Lady Magdalene's (starring Nichelle Nichols) but is the head of Planet Xpo which was the organisation which put on the hugely succesful "Farewell Scotty".
    • Planet Xpo is producing "Star Trek: The Show that Changed the World", "A conference and gala celebration of the 40th Anniversary of the classic Star Trek TV series and its living legacy of tolerance, inspiration, and hope for the future of humanity."
    • Pretty much all of the stars of ST: OGAM are listed as guest stars, including Garret Wang and, well ... enough said.
    • ST: OGAM has gained immense publicity in Trek and sci-fi media - and I mean immense! Startrek.com, Scifipulse, Trekunited, just google for the latest news. Every reference will, in all probability, have a reference to the 40th anniversary show. You can't buy that kind of publicity!
    • Question one: What do you think the odds are that the first rushes will be shown on stage at the 40th anniversary show?
    • OGAM is an eclectic blend of seasoned, established professionals and relative newcomers but all them have common ground - their experience on Star Trek is a bankable commodity in their career.
    • Some, like Garret Wang and Crystal Allen , are using the opportunity to, if not break their stereotypes, to extend their repertoire.
    • Others, like the original series icons Walter Koenig and Nichelle Nichols, have a commitment to the past with Star Trek but do they have a future? Walter has said of his appearance in New Voyages that it has allowed him "to bring the story of the recurring character to a satisfying end." far from putting a full stop to his trek career, it has in fact re-started it! Nichelle has said "I'm looking forward to re-creating Uhura in a time line that feels good to me." No longer the mini-skirted siren of the original series, can we expect to see Uhura as she is portrayed in countless books in her later years as a senior Starfleet officer?
    • Question two: Given that no one - by definition of it being a fan film - can be paid for their performance, can you see very real career advantages to an actor being in this film? How can I be so sure there will be no pay? Don't you think SAG would have something to say about some cast members being paid and others not?
    • So they are saving money on the wages of the actors, but what about the production costs of sets, costumes, props? This is where "Star Trek: New Voyages" comes into the picture! Mr. James Cawley took pains to point out that as a fan film they are careful to make sure that no money changes hands for their loaning of sets and props for the filming of OGAM.
    • "He contacted us, and asked us about the use of our sets, props and volunteers. We here at New Voyages are VOLUNTEERING behind the scenes to help Sky with his Trek dream. This is his project and we are along for what is sure to be a fun ride. NO money is being made. We are not being paid and we are not charging for the use of our sets. We are still abiding by the guidelines given to us by Paramount more than two years ago."
    • You'll note that their original contact with Paramount was two years ago and as he goes on to say in the same press release,"It is our dream that CBS/Paramount will someday license and support these Fan films." There's no chance of this happening any time soon, and certainly not during the course of this film, but there are other provisions in that same contact that are starting to look a little more negotiable.
    • 1) No profit can come from the film.
      2) Cannot be shown in Festivals or at Conventions or any other venue where money is charged for admission either directly for the film or the event iteself.
      3) Can only be a free download and cannot be offered in lieu of a "donation".
      4) They are NOT giving us permission to do the show, but rather turning a blind eye to it as long as we stick to the rules.
    • At the start of this month, it was announced "Walter Koenig will introduce the premier showing of the Star Trek New Voyages episode "To Serve All My Days" at the Star Trek: 40th Anniversary Gala Celebration & Conference on September 8, 2006."
    • Question three: Will To Serve All My Days be shown at the 40th anniversary show? Wouldn't this violate the terms of the gentlemen's agreement between CBS Paramount and New Voyages? Perhaps not. The Planet Xpo is an officially licensed convention which means that they have permission from CBS to make money from Star Trek. Have they got agreement from CBS legal to show an unlicensed fan film? See Question one!
Remember this is all just conjecture and questions for now, but be prepared for "Of Gods and Men" to change the shape of the fan film movement.

Be excited, be very excited!

Kirok of L'Stok

Latest releases !!! ~ March 11 - HFO Personal Logs 2 ~ March 19 - PD Smith-Tales From the Fleet 01 : Species 571 ~ March 11 - Bruffy-NovaTrek06 : A Tale Of Two Captains, Pt 2 ~
Kirok of L'Stok - Director of Media ..... "I love deadlines! I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by!" - Douglas Adams

Posted Image

#8 Aussie Trekkie

Aussie Trekkie

The Amateur Internet Radio DJ

• Members
  • 7,133 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 05:37 AM

I was very curious about that part about the upcoming New Voyages episode being shown at the Star Trek: 40th Anniversary Gala Celebration and Conference because it is against what CBS/Paramount wants to happen in terms of Fan Films (as also mentioned in Kirok's post)............no doubt that event is CBS/Paramount backed because we know Mr Cawley wouldn't do anything dumb to place his crown jewel in danger so something has to be up and no doubt Kirok you'll find out what that is

The New Voyages sets must be getting a heavy workout with ST:OGAM and Farragut as well as New Voyages all doing stuff on it

#9 smiler

smiler

Online Advertising Design Team

• Members
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 04:20 PM

Not hearing much buzz about this project so far!

Am I the only person that's really intrigued to see Captain Harriman on screen???
Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 Aussie Trekkie

Aussie Trekkie

• Members
  • 7,133 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 07:47 PM

We'll get to see a trailer on September 8 so then we can see how things are

#11 TimBrazeal

TimBrazeal

Hell Yeah

• Members
  • 4,693 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 12:55 AM

I know that James Cawley and Jack Marshall are releasing the episode that Walter was in on September 8-10th in Seattle.. This will be the first showing of it publicly..

Of Gods and Men was a creation from a guy named Doug.. He is the same man that got Scotty the star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame and is working on one for Walter as well.. As Bill said. They used the New Voyages sets to do some shooting..

As of two weeks ago they were wrapping up shooting.. Tim Russ came up to the Sci Fi Studios office in Hollywood and we chatted a bit about it.. (interviews coming).. So right now it is in post production.. Tim Russ directed and had a role in it as well.

Posted Image

Posted Image

IMDB Profile

"Never doubt the power of small group of committed individuals to change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." — Margaret Mead

Power is Corrupt - Absolute Power is Kinda Cool!

#12 Kirok

Kirok

• Global Moderators
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 03:52 AM

There will be an extensive article on both "Of Gods and Men" and the New Voyages "To Serve all My Days" in next month's Hailing Frequency Open - including everything I could find about the direction that the plot is going! Not exactly spoilers, more tantalising hints - this thing is buttoned down tight!

Cheers

Kirok

Latest releases !!! ~ March 11 - HFO Personal Logs 2 ~ March 19 - PD Smith-Tales From the Fleet 01 : Species 571 ~ March 11 - Bruffy-NovaTrek06 : A Tale Of Two Captains, Pt 2 ~
Kirok of L'Stok - Director of Media ..... "I love deadlines! I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by!" - Douglas Adams

Posted Image

#13 NX014Ever

NX014Ever

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 08:47 PM

Just a quick update and some more clarification that I found on the New Voyages website;

SURPRISE NEWS: OF GODS AND MEN

James Cawley reports on the latest rumors and reports regarding a new STAR TREK online mini-series:

There have been inaccurate reports on the wire, so to set the record straight, here is the SCOOP!

A fan produced feature-length digital miniseries that starts shooting on July 12 called "Star Trek: Of Gods and Men" will be Produced in part by the team behind "New Voyages." This new webisode — which will be distributed on the Internet in three parts — stars Nichelle Nichols and Walter Koenig reprising their roles as "Uhura" and "Chekov," but in the post-Kirk time of Enterprise-B captain "John Harriman," reprised by Alan Ruck. Tim Russ will direct, and will also appear as a younger "Tuvok." The film will include other performances by Garrett Wang ("Harry Kim"), Chase Masterson ("Leeta"), Grace Lee Whitney ("Janice Rand"), Gary Graham ("Soval") and Crystal Allen (from "Bound"), along with some special "surprise" guests.

"Of Gods and Men" is executive produced by Sky Douglas Conway, head of PlanetXpo and producer of "Lady Magdalene's" and the "Roddenberry on Patrol" short films, and the script was written by Conway along with Jack Trevino and Ethan H. Calk, both of whom contributed to Star Trek: Deep Space Nine episodes. Other behind-the-scenes professionals from the actual show will be involved, such as Doug Knapp as director of photography.

The miniseries will be shot in part on the "New Voyages" set in New York State, but is expected to include locations in Los Angeles. The movie's Web site is www.startrekofgodsandmen.com.

Cawley explains, "While we are thrilled to be helping with this endeavor, please remember that this is A SEPARATE project from "NEW VOYAGES." This project was/is started by Sky Conway. He contacted us, and asked us about the use of our sets, props and volunteers. We here at New Voyages are VOLUNTEERING behind the scenes to help Sky with his Trek dream. This is his project and we are along for what is sure to be a fun ride. NO money is being made. We are not being paid and we are not charging for the use of our sets. We are still abiding by the guidelines given to us by Paramount more than two years ago.

"The fan films are a vital part of Star Trek and it's history. No other franchise on the planet can boast of such a dedicated and vocal fanbase! It is our dream that CBS/Paramount will someday license and support these Fan films. They already license fan fiction thru their pocket books division, this would be the next logical step! At any rate We are grateful to CBS/PARAMOUNT for 40 years of this enduring legacy, called Star Trek. We here at New Voyages support and thank them."

#14 Discodirect

Discodirect

Lieutenant Commander

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 11:09 PM

I'm glad that this 'spin off' is going to be made and available.
Excellent news.

#15 smiler

smiler

• Members
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 01:51 PM

It's september the 8th!

ANy idea what time this trailer is going online?
Posted Image
Posted Image

#16 Aussie Trekkie

Aussie Trekkie

• Members
  • 7,133 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 06:35 PM

Any hour now i presume, can't be too long unless they've missed their schedule

#17 smiler

smiler

• Members
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 05:28 AM

Still no activity on the trailer front?
Posted Image
Posted Image

#18 Kirok

Kirok

• Global Moderators
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 08:52 PM

Still no activity on the trailer front?

Sorry, mate, of five minutes ago - nothing! I'm sweating on this as well! Tom posted on the TU New Voyages forum that ...

I'm here in Seattle and just saw the Pre-Premiere (pre because the episode is not 100% done) on "To serve all my days" last night, A couple hundred people packed the small theater area here at the Science Fiction Museum to see this episode and 2 trailers for "Of Gods and Men".

Two trailers? :o

Here's a bit of juicy gossip ...

Sunday, September 3, 2006
Electric Crush to appear in new Star Trek mini-series

The Hollywood gossip is true! And while the tinsel town rumor mills were turning out some fantastic tales... Electric Crush was just learning of its rendezvous with deep space, aliens and the fanatical Star Trek community.

On the heals of their triumphant debut at the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally in South Dakota, the offices of Electric Crush were contacted by the Film Crew of STAR TREK 'Of Gods and Men' regarding an Electric Crush appearance in the movie, as well as a new video shoot of their song 'Taking Away'. The new music video would be shot in tandum with the final scenes of the new movie, and would incorporate the actual STAR TREK sets at "secret" undisclosed locations in Los Angeles.

As it turns out, some members of the TREK crew were involved in the filming of a DVD project documenting the concert at Sturgis. The film crew, along with Adam Gaynor of 'Matchbox Twenty' interviewed Electric Crush several times during the five day event, and shot footage of an Electric Crush performance for the national DVD release of the Rock N The Rally concert. Apparently members of the film crew which included Irish filmmaker Tristan Barnard, we're also involved in the production of the 40th Anniversary STAR TREK movie entitled 'Of Gods and Men', which is to air as a three part mini series over the Internet and the Sci-fi Channel in December of 2006.

"...over the Internet and the Sci-fi Channel in December of 2006." :blink:

A fan film on a commercial network? Surely this must be a misprint ... unless ... Could a license from CBS/Paramount for ST: Of Gods and Men be on the horizon? If they do get one, guess who'll be the next to be knockknockknockin' on Paramount's door?!!

Kirok of L'Stok ;)

PS - If you are looking for something new, why not have a look at the new trailer by Starship Farragut

Posted Image

#19 Aussie Trekkie

Aussie Trekkie

• Members
  • 7,133 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 07:28 PM

Still nothing trailer wise, i wonder what the story is

#20 Deltaflyer

Deltaflyer

Senior Chief Petty Officer

• Members