world of warcraft

11 replies to this topic

#1 Borg Queen

Borg Queen

Commodore

• Members
  • 725 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 05:52 PM

world of warcraf is a great game i was wandering if anyone played it.

Posted Image
AWC-WARRIOR
Never give up. Never surrender.
Posted Image
(\_/)
(0.0)
(> <)
O__O

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

Player of all things Warcraft

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 12:57 PM

My life was a bit topsy turvy when it came out so I never got it but I am still interested. I am a bit concerned though because although I am fanatical about warcraft I don't like RPGs (too complicated), with the exception of dungeon siege. I also don't like how the story is the truce from warcraft 3 is over, I find it hard to believe that Jaina, Thrall and Tyrande could go back to fighting they seemed reasonanable and comitted to peace. Yes I take the story too seriously.

#3 Karbev

Karbev

Welcomed Star Trek Fan

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 05:33 AM

i PLay it:D

#4 Melvin

Melvin

Eternal Pretend Dollar Debtor

• Members
  • 11,581 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 04:43 PM

I used to play it. For a long time. Then, I get to the late 40s on my first character and my play ground to a halt (I was pretty much running Zul'Farrak every time I got on because I had no quests and needed some sort of XP). I tried a couple other characters, but every time I got high level I lost interest - it just took to long. The endgame is a huge part of MMOs, and I could never get to it. Maybe if they made getting to 60 about the equivalent of getting to 50, I would have played longer (I later got that first character to 51, if I recall), but, as there was little reward for all my hard work, I realized that I was paying to perform mindless, mechanical tasks. So I played out my subscription and only looked back once (I remissed, but it was for a short period of time and I knew the love was gone).

My life was a bit topsy turvy when it came out so I never got it but I am still interested. I am a bit concerned though because although I am fanatical about warcraft I don't like RPGs (too complicated), with the exception of dungeon siege. I also don't like how the story is the truce from warcraft 3 is over, I find it hard to believe that Jaina, Thrall and Tyrande could go back to fighting they seemed reasonanable and comitted to peace. Yes I take the story too seriously.

Well, you should take it seriously. The Warcraft mythos is awesome. There's a good reason...hmm...I don't remember it.

For the Night Elves, Malfurion was lost in the Emerald Dream (no one knows how or why, I think, that's for another game), so Tyrande's leadership of the Night Elves is questioned by some dude who was meant to take over for Malfurion in case he died (as leader of the druids). So he's stirring up all kinds of trouble, and the Night Elves just kind of do whatever I guess.

I don't really know the rest.

Okay, found it on WoWWiki and patched it together with my knowledge. There's a book series that details all of this, but I never read it all:
So, Jaina's father totally still hates the Horde, amasses an army on the shores of Durotar, the new Orc homeland, and Thrall is forced to attack to save his people. Jaina agrees and even helps, even though it means her father's death. Anyway, those humans were from a place called Theramore, close to Durotar, and they kept getting uppity, and Thrall put 'em back down a couple times, and all the time Jaina and Thrall are still trying to pursue a more secure Horde-Alliance alliance. So, it's not really an actual wartime thing (even on PvP servers, you can't attack on someone's home turf unless they attack you), but needless to say, tensions are still high between the two. It's difficult to coexist. I think that's about it.
My music fights against the system that teaches to live and die. -Bob Marley
The world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel. -Horace Walpole
Experience teaches us that silence terrifies people the most. -Bob Dylan
Everyone dies but not everyone lives. -A. Sachs
This is the way the world ends / Not with a bang, but with a whimper -T.S. Eliot
The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I? Light up the darkness. -Bob Marley

A ship in the harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

#5 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 10:57 AM

Well, you should take it seriously. The Warcraft mythos is awesome.

Yes it is.:D Ever read the books?

For the Night Elves, Malfurion was lost in the Emerald Dream (no one knows how or why, I think, that's for another game), so Tyrande's leadership of the Night Elves is questioned by some dude who was meant to take over for Malfurion in case he died (as leader of the druids). So he's stirring up all kinds of trouble, and the Night Elves just kind of do whatever I guess.

Okay, found it on WoWWiki and patched it together with my knowledge. There's a book series that details all of this, but I never read it all:
So, Jaina's father totally still hates the Horde, amasses an army on the shores of Durotar, the new Orc homeland, and Thrall is forced to attack to save his people. Jaina agrees and even helps, even though it means her father's death. Anyway, those humans were from a place called Theramore, close to Durotar, and they kept getting uppity, and Thrall put 'em back down a couple times, and all the time Jaina and Thrall are still trying to pursue a more secure Horde-Alliance alliance. So, it's not really an actual wartime thing (even on PvP servers, you can't attack on someone's home turf unless they attack you), but needless to say, tensions are still high between the two. It's difficult to coexist. I think that's about it.

Hmm, that actually makes sense. Kinda. Thanks.:) Oh, and BTW, a lot of that stuff about Jaina's father is from the bonus campaign in The Frozen Throne.

Since you've been so helpful, might I ask another question? How in the frack did the Forsaken and the Blood Elves become part of the Horde? Undead and Orcs on one side doesn't make any kind of sense to me.

#6 Melvin

Melvin

• Members
  • 11,581 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 03:54 PM

Yes it is. :D Ever read the books?

Oh, and BTW, a lot of that stuff about Jaina's father is from the bonus campaign in The Frozen Throne.

Since you've been so helpful, might I ask another question? How in the frack did the Forsaken and the Blood Elves become part of the Horde? Undead and Orcs on one side doesn't make any kind of sense to me.

I read the War of the Ancients trilogy. Those were awesome. And I've always meant to read Sunwell. I might get around to it someday.

I never played that game, actually. I should buy it sometime.

Well, that's actually a really awesome story. The Forsaken aren't the Scourge; they're the remnants of the Scourge. Regaining their free will under the leadership of Sylvanas Windrunner (remember her? The high elf ranger-general of Quel'Thalas Arthas raised from the dead just to be a dick?), they attacked the remaining dreadlords in Azeroth and she kicked their asses (and bound Varimathras to her will). They began digging out underneath the remains of the city of Lordaeron to form the Undercity - essentially a massive underground city that is a haven for the persecuted Forsaken.

As for the blood elves, the Alliance got pissed when they attempted to get magic back from Illidan, and blood elves worked with the Forsaken to help purge the remnants of the Scourge from northern Lordaeron, so it was kind of a natural next step to the race's development.
The world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel. -Horace Walpole
This is the way the world ends / Not with a bang, but with a whimper -T.S. Eliot
The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I? Light up the darkness. -Bob Marley

#7 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 09:23 AM

Thanks again.

I read the War of the Ancients trilogy. Those were awesome. And I've always meant to read Sunwell. I might get around to it someday.

They were good. My only complaint was that they weren't very accurate to the game's story. The War of the Ancients was supposed to have, well, Ancients. There are also a whole mess of stand alone novels, and those are probably the best. "The Last Guardian" by Jeff Grubb and "Cycle of Hatred" by Keith R.A. Decandido are especially awesome.

I never played that game, actually. I should buy it sometime.

I honestly believe Warcraft III is the best game ever made.

Well, that's actually a really awesome story. The Forsaken aren't the Scourge; they're the remnants of the Scourge. Regaining their free will under the leadership of Sylvanas Windrunner (remember her? The high elf ranger-general of Quel'Thalas Arthas raised from the dead just to be a dick?), they attacked the remaining dreadlords in Azeroth and she kicked their asses (and bound Varimathras to her will). They began digging out underneath the remains of the city of Lordaeron to form the Undercity - essentially a massive underground city that is a haven for the persecuted Forsaken.

I knew Sylvanas's story. It was in the Frozen Throne. But she was nuts. She murdered Garithos once she no longer needed him (he desevered it but it was still kind of a nasty thing to do), and I'm not inclined to trust anyone with a pet Nathrezim. I guess they've changed her character a bit.

Hmm, I know she was supposed to be in the final part of the Sunwell Trilogy (which has been "coming soon" for a couple of years now), maybe that helps to explain things.

As for the blood elves, the Alliance got pissed when they attempted to get magic back from Illidan, and blood elves worked with the Forsaken to help purge the remnants of the Scourge from northern Lordaeron, so it was kind of a natural next step to the race's development.

Well, that makes sense if you buy the Forsaken's bit. After what happened in Northrend, I was so worried the Blood Elves were gone. They're one of my all time favourite fictional races. I was really happy when I learned they were still alive.

Hey, that's another question. What happened to Northrend? Does anyone know? I assumed it sunk into the ocean, in which case I wonder what happened to Arthas/Ner'zhul.

#8 Melvin

Melvin

• Members
  • 11,581 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 11:26 AM

I honestly believe Warcraft III is the best game ever made.

Hey, that's another question. What happened to Northrend? Does anyone know? I assumed it sunk into the ocean, in which case I wonder what happened to Arthas/Ner'zhul.

I've played Warcraft III, ust never the Frozen Throne. I've always meant to, but it's just one of those things you mean to get around to but never do.

I dunno what happened to Ner'zhul or Northrend (I think you are right about Northrend), but Arthas ran to the Outlands as soon as he could (yeah, if you don't know, the portal to the Outlands was reopened in WoW's expansion, the Burning Crusade).

#9 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 11:34 AM

I've played Warcraft III, ust never the Frozen Throne. I've always meant to, but it's just one of those things you mean to get around to but never do.

Oh, okay. The story isn't quite as good in the Frozen Throne (there's some really bad dialogue with Tyrande and Furion) but it's still made of awesome. There's an entire campaign of Blood Elves and some really cool new units. Spell breakers FTW!

I dunno what happened to Ner'zhul or Northrend (I think you are right about Northrend), but Arthas ran to the Outlands as soon as he could (yeah, if you don't know, the portal to the Outlands was reopened in WoW's expansion, the Burning Crusade).

I knew about Outland, but I didn't know Arthas went there. Interesting... As far as Ner'zhul [color=#ff0011;background:#ff0011] Arthas fufilled his destiny and became a host for Ner'zhul's spirit. The line that closes the end cinematic is "Now, we are one."[/color]

Thanks again. I've really hated being out of the Warcraft loop. I can only imagine what it'll be like when Starcraft II comes out and I'm left out of it too. :(

#10 jonathan

jonathan

Lieutenant Commander

• Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 02:51 AM

I have always loved the way this game looked but i dont want to pay to play every month.

#11 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:34 AM

You can get a free to play account now, you know. You can only get to level 20, and there are a lot of other limitations, but you can do the first few dungeons and battlegrounds, and with the Cataclysm updates, even the low level zones are pretty awesome -- especially the Undead ones.

#12 Eaglet

Eaglet

Crewman 2nd Class

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:52 AM

I was playing this game one time. But it was not long.
Nothing is impossible

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users