WoW chatter

120 replies to this topic

#41 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

Player of all things Warcraft

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 10:15 PM

You can't do WoW solo. No matter what your tastes (PvP, PvE), the best stuff has to be done with other people. Me, I like the five man dungeon content. It's nowhere near as crazy as raiding (in the defense of raiding, it has improved drastically in WotLK, though it still needs work), but almost as packed with awesomeness. The lack of soloability is one of my chief complaints about the game. Solo questing is kinda dull compared with everything else, with the exception of Wrath of the Lich King content and a few other minor cases.

Of course, that might all change with Cataclysm. Let us hope they continue improving at the rate they have.

Also, what's OST?

#42 Plazmataz

Plazmataz

Purveyor of Prattle

• Members
  • 5,550 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 11:05 PM

Also, what's OST?

Sometimes it's Original Star Trek, but in this case it's the more common usage: Original Soundtrack.

Edited by Plazmataz, 17 May 2010 - 11:06 PM.

Posted Image

#43 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 10:56 AM

Huh, never heard of someone listening to a soundtrack of a game they haven't played, but I suppose it does have some nice music. I've literally gone to the Grizzly Hills just for the music there.

I don't if your knowledge of Warcraft lore is sufficient for this, but if you really are interested in the universe, you might want to consider picking up the books. They're generally of the highest quality (as I like to put it, they're not good tie-in novels; they're just good novels), and they allow you to enjoy much of Warcraft's awesomeness without the many annoyances that have become a part of the games.

#44 Apocalypse

Apocalypse

The Baron, Resident Duelist

• Members
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 11:25 AM

Huh, never heard of someone listening to a soundtrack of a game they haven't played, but I suppose it does have some nice music. I've literally gone to the Grizzly Hills just for the music there.

I inroduced him to it. It's a spectacular example of fantasy music, and Clark is a music major and also a fantasy nerd, so he is someone who appreciates this kind of thing.
Recent-ish blog entry: The D20-headed Knight, Chapter Six: The Prodigal Steve Returns
"Oh, come on... be reasonable. You can't destroy everything; where would you sit?"
-The Tick

#45 Apocalypse

Apocalypse

• Members
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 11:31 AM

You can't do WoW solo. No matter what your tastes (PvP, PvE), the best stuff has to be done with other people. Me, I like the five man dungeon content. It's nowhere near as crazy as raiding (in the defense of raiding, it has improved drastically in WotLK, though it still needs work), but almost as packed with awesomeness. The lack of soloability is one of my chief complaints about the game. Solo questing is kinda dull compared with everything else, with the exception of Wrath of the Lich King content and a few other minor cases.

Of course, that might all change with Cataclysm. Let us hope they continue improving at the rate they have.

Also I rather liked solo quests. Sometimes it's "Kill X creatures for no reason," but other times it's a genuinely interesting task. I personally loved the epic quests, and by that I mean the chains (or just one quest) that asked you to span entire zones or even continents to do what you need to do. I think you get the coolest sense of accomplishment and a "I am a fantasy adventurer" feeling.

Like the Hammer of Zul'Farrak thing. I think they actually changed it into a quest, but before it was just something you did. It didn't point the way, you just got the hammer and had to find where Jintha'alor was. And also, back in the day, they used to have elite mobs... it was an outdoor (or I should say out-instance) instance. You had to get groups for that place, and doing all the quests took you like a day of playing time (not talking 24 hours, I'm saying you get on, do it for however many hours it takes, and then you're like "wow I've been playing X hours here, time to stop").

Damn, WoW was cool, no matter what kind of complaints people have with it.

Edited by Apocalypse, 18 May 2010 - 11:32 AM.

Recent-ish blog entry: The D20-headed Knight, Chapter Six: The Prodigal Steve Returns
"Oh, come on... be reasonable. You can't destroy everything; where would you sit?"
-The Tick

#46 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 11:56 AM

Also I rather liked solo quests. Sometimes it's "Kill X creatures for no reason," but other times it's a genuinely interesting task. I personally loved the epic quests, and by that I mean the chains (or just one quest) that asked you to span entire zones or even continents to do what you need to do. I think you get the coolest sense of accomplishment and a "I am a fantasy adventurer" feeling.

Solo quests are what I spend the vast majority of my time doing, so I can't complain about them too much. They're a very mixed bag, and for every sucky pointless one (I'm looking at you, Nesingway), there are just as many awesome ones, and vice versa. It gets a lot better in Northrend (just like everything else). For example, I've recently been repeating the main story chain in the Storm Peaks, and it's just phloxing awesome. It's like being thrown into the middle of Norse mythology. My point when I said that you can't do WoW solo wasn't so much that the solo stuff is no good as it was that the peaks of the game always require other people. The Arugal quest chain in Silverpine is cool, but would it make sense to do it and then give up when the quests take you into Shadowfang Keep? No. The best parts of the game require other people to complete.

As for the super long, multi-zone chains, I mostly hated them just for the amount of travel time involved. Even as mage, you'd end up spending hours just going from place to place. That said, I have extracted some enjoyment from them. I thought the Fallen Hero of the Horde chain was pretty cool. Once you got past the craptacular initial quests, the Tirion Fordring chain was awesome.

#47 Apocalypse

Apocalypse

• Members
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 12:09 PM

Solo quests are what I spend the vast majority of my time doing, so I can't complain about them too much. They're a very mixed bag, and for every sucky pointless one (I'm looking at you, Nesingway), there are just as many awesome ones, and vice versa. It gets a lot better in Northrend (just like everything else).

And The Burning Crusade.
And shut your mouth about Nessie, I love that guy. :P
-The Tick

#48 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 12:37 PM

And The Burning Crusade.

Meh. BC was better than the first game, but still needed a lot of improvement. There some awesome quests, but they were still the exception and not the rule. The opening quests in Hellfire were spectacular, but it lost its way after that. Shattered Sun and Netherwing quests are the only ones after Hellfire that really stand out in my mind.

And shut your mouth about Nessie, I love that guy. public/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif

Having read his story in "Legends," I like Hemet himself. It's his quests I can't stand.

#49 Apocalypse

Apocalypse

• Members
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 12:51 PM

Having read his story in "Legends," I like Hemet himself. It's his quests I can't stand.

Well, the second series were in Nagrand, and I was fine with genociding a lot of animals just to walk around enjoying that place. My favorite zone.
Plus, he made me realize just how many men/animals/things I've killed. If I can knock off 90 in like an hour, I've probably killed something close to a city full of people.
-The Tick

#50 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 11:12 AM

Well, the second series were in Nagrand, and I was fine with genociding a lot of animals just to walk around enjoying that place. My favorite zone.

Fair enough. I suppose if he'd had a chain in Grizzly Hills, I might have done it.

Plus, he made me realize just how many men/animals/things I've killed. If I can knock off 90 in like an hour, I've probably killed something close to a city full of people.

:lol:

#51 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 11:07 AM

Out of curiosity, did you ever play on any of the role-playing servers?

#52 Apocalypse

Apocalypse

• Members
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 03:39 PM

No. I learned from hearsay that they didn't really roleplay that much. Plus I had friends on my server so I didn't really feel like making characters on a new one.
-The Tick

#53 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 08:41 PM

Hmm. I mostly got curious cause I thought there might be less dicks on an RP server. I figured it would be harder to say "lol you fire spec you sux noobz" without breaking character, but that might be a flawed theory. Also, I'm growing increasingly fond of my shaman's persona (despite the fact that I do not actively role-play, I can't help but come up with personalities and basic backstories for most of my characters), and I am slightly tempted to share his Orcish awesomeness with the world. But I'll probably stay where I am. Like you, I have friends on my server.

#54 Apocalypse

Apocalypse

• Members
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 12:53 AM

Posted Image
I just put this here, because this is Warcraft engineering. :P
-The Tick

#55 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 10:11 AM

It is part of the nerdly way to endlessly chatter and form opinions on things we haven't yet experienced, and thus I feel that we have been remiss in not talking about Cataclysm more. The news is now coming out fast, so there's plenty for us to discuss. In that spirit, I'm gonna throw out a bunch of things that stand out to me, and you can respond with any thoughts you have. If you like, you could also read up on it on your own and mention anything that interests and/or concerns you.

Worgen: I always thought the Worgen were kinda cool, and I always thought the Gilneans were among the most interesting humans. Gilnean Worgen, therefore, are something I'm really looking forward to. They should give the Alliance a much-needed dose of bad-assery. Gilneas looks like it'll be a really cool zone, too, and I like the ability to shapeshift your character between the form of your choice.

Hyjal: This zone not being included in the original WoW is one of the many "What the hell were they thinking?" moments of that game, so I'm really glad they're finally implementing it. Perhaps even more importantly, it will feature the returns of Malfurion Stormrage and Jarod Phloxing Shadowsong. Jarod is probably my favourite Night Elf of all time. I can't wait to see what awesome, bad-ass thing he'll refuse to take credit for this time. :D

Grim Batol: This may be the single thing I'm most excited about. When I first heard about WoW's dungeon system, I could think of very few lore locations that would make good dungeons, and none were actually being included in the game. Until now. Grim Batol is so incredibly rich in lore and history that I'm practically drooling on my keyboard at the prospect of being able to explore it. Plus the gameplay for the five man wing sounds really cool. Aerial bombing runs through the corridors followed by traditional ground combat = win.

The Caverns of Time: The new wing is supposed to be a raid titled "War of the Ancients." I'm going to guess that it revolves around when Neltharion first used the Demon Soul, since I doubt they'd include a wing that has nothing to do with the overall plot of Cataclysm.

Talent changes: This is one thing that really worries me. They're streamlining the talents so much of the boring ones (passive attribute bonuses and such) are being removed and replaced with "mastery" bonuses based on which tree you specialize in. Powerful talent changes (such as dual wield for enhancement shammys or water elementals for frost mages) will now be available immediately upon reaching level ten. These are all good ideas, but they're also greatly reducing the number of talent points and the rate at which you gain them, and once you chose a tree, you will not be allowed to spend points in the others until you max out every talent in the tree (which won't happen until about level 70). This won't be a big deal for us high level players, and the hybrid classes are probably going to benefit from this a lot, but it's a real kick in the teeth for everyone else. My rogue, for example, benefited immeasurably from spreading her first ten talents or so between all three trees. I hate to think what it's going to be like for those who are new to the game. Finally, it makes personal choice even less possible in a system that was already far too rigid. This is exactly the sort of thing that's always turned me off RPGs.

Varok Saurfang: I'm just wondering how long it will be before he and Garrosh try to kill each other, and who will win. Also, as unlikely as it is, I've decided I want him to be warchief. Forget Thrall and Hellscream; Varok is the embodiment of everything that makes Orcs awesome.

Finally, you may be interested to know that the Skybreaker and Orgrim's Hammer will return in the new hub zone, Deepholm.

Spoiler

Despite a few concerns, I'm overall really excited about Cataclysm. It looks like it's going be everything classic WoW should have been but wasn't.

#56 Apocalypse

Apocalypse

• Members
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 10:39 AM

Grim Batol: This may be the single thing I'm most excited about. When I first heard about WoW's dungeon system, I could think of very few lore locations that would make good dungeons, and none were actually being included in the game. Until now. Grim Batol is so incredibly rich in lore and history that I'm practically drooling on my keyboard at the prospect of being able to explore it. Plus the gameplay for the five man wing sounds really cool. Aerial bombing runs through the corridors followed by traditional ground combat = win.

Not to mention the new battleground. I loves me some PvP.

Talent changes: This is one thing that really worries me. They're streamlining the talents so much of the boring ones (passive attribute bonuses and such) are being removed and replaced with "mastery" bonuses based on which tree you specialize in. Powerful talent changes (such as dual wield for enhancement shammys or water elementals for frost mages) will now be available immediately upon reaching level ten. These are all good ideas, but they're also greatly reducing the number of talent points and the rate at which you gain them, and once you chose a tree, you will not be allowed to spend points in the others until you max out every talent in the tree (which won't happen until about level 70). This won't be a big deal for us high level players, and the hybrid classes are probably going to benefit from this a lot, but it's a real kick in the teeth for everyone else. My rogue, for example, benefited immeasurably from spreading her first ten talents or so between all three trees. I hate to think what it's going to be like for those who are new to the game. Finally, it makes personal choice even less possible in a system that was already far too rigid. This is exactly the sort of thing that's always turned me off RPGs.

I had heard nothing about this. It sounds like a bad idea, considering my rogue is specced for subtlety but has however many points in both of the other trees, meaning sub is not maxed out. I'm concerned... it leaves little room for customization.

Varok Saurfang: I'm just wondering how long it will be before he and Garrosh try to kill each other, and who will win. Also, as unlikely as it is, I've decided I want him to be warchief. Forget Thrall and Hellscream; Varok is the embodiment of everything that makes Orcs awesome.

Finally, you may be interested to know that the Skybreaker and Orgrim's Hammer will return in the new hub zone, Deepholm.

Spoiler

The Orcs are what I'm looking forward to most. Some epic phlox is brewin' in Orgrimmar.

Also I read that spoiler without thinking. Oh well. :P

I will probably play for a little bit before the expansion comes out, just to get myself reacclimated, try out the Icecrown dungeons and whatnot, and finish leveling my shaman. I look forward to Cataclysm with the caution that comes with the knowledge that it will probably be eating many more hours of my life.

Oh, and it looks like they're getting rid of attack bonus and spellpower and that sort of thing from gear... should make the game more balanced and less "Must raid to get high end stuff." So I like it, but I'll wait to see how it turns out.

Edited by Apocalypse, 11 July 2010 - 10:44 AM.

-The Tick

#57 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 04:17 PM

Not to mention the new battleground. I loves me some PvP.

I'm a bit disappointed that it's basically a carbon copy of Warsong Gulch. I like capture the flag, but show some creativity, guys. Even if they just mixed it up a little, added some vehicles or something.

There's always Tol Barad, but I'm sure that will be just like Wintergrasp: unplayably laggy and utterly dominated by whichever faction has more players (the Alliance, in the case of my server).

I had heard nothing about this. It sounds like a bad idea, considering my rogue is specced for subtlety but has however many points in both of the other trees, meaning sub is not maxed out. I'm concerned... it leaves little room for customization.

Yeah, that's my worry. Admittedly, you'll still be able to branch out at high levels, but it's incredibly rigid for low levels, and it still binds things a lot even at high levels. Talents are already far too limited, IMO. I mean, have you seen mages these days? It's like they came off an assembly line. This is only going to make things worse.

The Orcs are what I'm looking forward to most. Some epic phlox is brewin' in Orgrimmar.

In some ways, I look forward to it. In other ways, I dread it. I know I'm going to be even more ashamed of the Horde than I already am. I just hope Varok and/or Thrall has the sense to stop Garrosh before things get too nuts.

I will probably play for a little bit before the expansion comes out, just to get myself reacclimated, try out the Icecrown dungeons and whatnot, and finish leveling my shaman. I look forward to Cataclysm with the caution that comes with the knowledge that it will probably be eating many more hours of my life.

I strongly advise this. Recent patches have greatly improved the game in a number of areas (more on that below). If nothing else, you have to do the Frozen Halls. They are easily the high point of WotLK, and maybe the high point of all Warcraft post-Frozen Throne. Having replayed both, I've decided that Halls of Reflection has supplanted Escape from Durnholde as my favourite dungeon. There's just nothing like that "OH, PHLOX, ARTHAS IS RIGHT PHLOXING BEHIND US! RUUUUN!!!1!" moment. Epic, man, epic.

Oh, and it looks like they're getting rid of attack bonus and spellpower and that sort of thing from gear...

I'm a bit confused how this will work, but I think the mastery system will help compensate.

should make the game more balanced and less "Must raid to get high end stuff." So I like it, but I'll wait to see how it turns out.

Raiding has not been a prerequisite for high end gear for some time. With the new dungeon finder (which, as I have mentioned previously, is a massive improvement to the game), it is very easy to obtain a full set of tier 9 epics (sufficient for nearly all raids and just about anything else you could want to do) in a very short time just by running random heroics. You can also get tier 10 this way, although it takes a lot longer if you don't also raid. PvP gear can also be obtained the same was T9. Plus there's arenas, random BGs, and other PvP. And crafting.

Also, out of curiosity, have you tried raiding in WotLK? Cause its raiding system is a whole hell of a lot better than the raids from the previous games. Of course, you still get a fair few dicks and fail groups, but I've still managed to have all kinds of fun. Even without a guild, it's easy to join successful PUGs for at least the weekly raid quests (which are quick, easy, and fun far more often than not). From what I hear, raids are going to be even more accessible once Cataclysm rolls out.

#58 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 10:47 AM

In a fit of boredom, I stumbled across this article on WoWWiki yesterday and proceeded to laugh myself silly. You may have already seen it, but it was so hilarious (and true) that I felt the need to share it.

People in your PUG.

#59 Apocalypse

Apocalypse

• Members
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 11:07 PM

Boop.
If you haven't seen the video game thread already.
-The Tick

#60 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 03:23 PM

I've decided I like the WotLK cinematic better. It tells a complete and poetic story in addition to being a good trailer, whereas the Deathwing cinematic is mostly trailer, although I'm not going to say it's not epic. Plus I also like the Lich King better than Deathwing.

I disagree that the Cataclysm trailer doesn't tell a story. Traditionally, WoW intros have not told much of a story, or, in WotLK's case, it was a story that had little impact to the main plot (although it does gain more significance if you see later cinematics and infer that Arthas has been constantly haunted by his father's spirit for god knows how long). Whereas the Cataclysm one actually depicted, in remarkable detail, a major event within the universe: the Shattering itself.

Maybe you haven't been following zone previews and such like I have, but everything in the cinematic is something that happens in the game. Auberdine is drowned by the sea, the Stonewrought Dam bursts, Thousand Needles is flooded, etc.. Plus the finale at Stormwind is also part of the plot; it's established that Deathwing's first act upon exiting Deepholme is to attack Stormwind in vengeance for Varian killing Onyxia.

Whereas the WotLK one was basically just Arthas being randomly bad ass for two minutes. Which is still pretty damn cool, but the Cata one actually forms a key part of the story.

I will be interested in playing Cataclysm, though. Each expansion has gotten progressively better, but I am concerned that WotLK might have been the apex of the quality of WoW. Surely they must be out of ideas by now. But I'll still play it.

I concur about the expansions getting better, which gives me much hope. Their track record is still worrying, of course, but if they keep up the momentum of WotLK, it should be pretty spectacular. And what I hear is encouraging: each new high level zone gets its own intro cinematic, both new races have multiple cinematics in their starting experiences (not to mention the fact that Worgen get to participate in not one but two major wars before they even hit level ten), continuing to give attention to interesting new characters... I also like how they're getting all old school and bringing back lots of characters from the first few games. I don't want to raid as much in Cata, but I'll have to do Bastion of Twilight just to fight Cho'gall.

I don't think running out of ideas is much of a risk, considering how little effort was put into the first game and most of Burning Crusade.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users