Starship Ajax

145 replies to this topic

#21 Rear Admiral Nerd

Rear Admiral Nerd

Ensign

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 02:20 AM

Here is the video update for Jan 8, 2011...part 1 and 2. High res for those of you asked....

Part 1
http://www.facebook....269229

Part 2
http://www.facebook....269229

Uh....FYI....We're renting the space. John has us good at $550 a month in rent till the end of the year...after that his pocketbook becomes unreliable for rent and what he will be spending will be on the supplies for the production. So it is imperative we have donations come in to cover tat least the rent before this this year is up to ensure we have the time to pull all this together to begin filming.....

Edited by Rear Admiral Nerd, 09 January 2011 - 11:48 AM.

Woof...

#22 Rear Admiral Nerd

Rear Admiral Nerd

Ensign

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 11:38 PM

Out to the hanger Monday to begin marking off the set boundries with masking tape. After that..tear it all down to the floor. Then after that.... the refurbishing and restoring begins. - RS

http://www.facebook....118512928220293
Woof...

#23 Fan Producer

Fan Producer

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 01:26 AM

Uh....FYI....We're renting the space. John has us good at $550 a month in rent till the end of the year...after that his pocketbook becomes unreliable for rent and what he will be spending will be on the supplies for the production. So it is imperative we have donations come in to cover tat least the rent before this this year is up to ensure we have the time to pull all this together to begin filming.....

That's been my concern all through this thread. Have you got alternate sources of funding? I'm earnestly hoping you can make it, because you've put quite a bit of effort into it.

#24 Rear Admiral Nerd

Rear Admiral Nerd

Ensign

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:31 AM

That's been my concern all through this thread. Have you got alternate sources of funding? I'm earnestly hoping you can make it, because you've put quite a bit of effort into it.

We are starting to see donations coming in. We put John's email up for the donation address last week. I think we'll be fine...I ohpe cause I intend to direct all funds toward the rent. John's ut of pocket will be directed towards the production expenses. If at he worst the donations will reduce the hit to his wallet for the rent. We have the first year already paid for. It's after that we need to be concerned about.
Woof...

#25 Rear Admiral Nerd

Rear Admiral Nerd

Ensign

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 11:29 AM

Some era appropriate humor....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Woof...

#26 Rear Admiral Nerd

Rear Admiral Nerd

Ensign

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 05:09 PM

Our CGI effects artist Henry Gibbens just sent these test renders of his work on the Ajax as it is coming together. I thought I'd post them so we would have more to look at than pics of us working in a hanger. Thank you Henry! - RS.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Woof...

#27 Rear Admiral Nerd

Rear Admiral Nerd

Ensign

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 07:27 PM

John, Tim, James and I went to the hanger today to mask off with tape all the set boundries, and the doorways. All of it is done except the captain's quarters and Engineering. Spent the afternoon hashing out the reaming space between the two. Captain's quarters got put on the south end of the hanger facing north and the main engineering will take almost the entire face of the door of the hanger. Some last few measurements to lock in before taping it off. After that we begin to tear the bridge apart to rebuild the outer ring bridge platforms.
Woof...

#28 Rear Admiral Nerd

Rear Admiral Nerd

Ensign

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:57 PM

More updates.

Excellent Henry. The man does us good! - RS

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Woof...

#29 Rear Admiral Nerd

Rear Admiral Nerd

Ensign

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 10:36 PM

John will be going in the hospital for gall bladder removal. Let's all hope for a good and speedy recovery. - RS.
Woof...

#30 Rear Admiral Nerd

Rear Admiral Nerd

Ensign

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:33 PM

John should be out of his gall bladder surgery by now. Let's see how he is up for the video conference tomorrow with Henry.
Woof...

#31 Rear Admiral Nerd

Rear Admiral Nerd

Ensign

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:55 PM

John just called, and we talked for a bit. He feels like crap but he's going through with the Vid Conference / Ajax meeting tomorrow.
Woof...

#32 Rear Admiral Nerd

Rear Admiral Nerd

Ensign

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 01:04 AM

Well we had the meeting and conference...sort of. Technical difficulties had me wind up doing the video conference with Henry in my mini-van in my driveway alone while John stayed home still sore with Tim. When Henry and I were done went back over to John's to continue the meeting finished before 11pm here.
Woof...

#33 Rear Admiral Nerd

Rear Admiral Nerd

Ensign

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 12:16 AM

Our Master of CG has more updates of the Ajax...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Woof...

#34 Rear Admiral Nerd

Rear Admiral Nerd

Ensign

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 12:11 AM

Out to the hanger Saturday early...4 of us total starting at 7am till 2 pm. Finish nailing down the final placement of the captain's quarters and engineering. lay down tape to lock in positions. Work on some space allotment for the outer bridge ring / accessway/ inner corridor. Still trying to squeeze more blood out of a turnip.
Woof...

#35 Rear Admiral Nerd

Rear Admiral Nerd

Ensign

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 05:53 PM

IT was a good day at the hanger. John was out there and he was moving well. A Change in floor plan that John came up with is moving the Captain's Quarters to share the briefing room / sickbay space and giving me more room for Engineering. The full length of the junction in front of Engineering has been restored as a result. Problems solved with the space issue between the bridge and inner corridor / work space. - RS
Woof...

#36 Rear Admiral Nerd

Rear Admiral Nerd

Ensign

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 07:44 PM

Also John and I discussed final plans and costs on the lumber. I greenlighted having John order and have delivered one skid each of thin plywood for the set faces and one skid of stud material.
Woof...

#37 Rear Admiral Nerd

Rear Admiral Nerd

Ensign

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 01:58 PM

Here is the results coming out of Saturday's session out at the hanger. We did not post a more accurate or detailed drawing since half of it was in a state of flux and subject to change. For a 60x60 foot hanger you would think this would not work, but I think the bridge comes in slightly less than 30 feet and the hanger seems to be more than 60 feet...and or both. So we seem to have some good fortune working for us or otherwise this floor plan for the hanger would not work.

To make this work we had to overlap the spaces that the briefing room will have with the Engineering Room, so wilding between those overlapping spaces cannot be avoided. The transporter room has been cut down to fit the floor plan but will be wilded out to be bigger for long shots.

To restore the full width corridor we decided to do away with the service way between the outer bridge and the inner corridor leaving only about 6 inches for heat dissipation. To compensate for the loss of access to work behind the bridge the inner corridor panels will be hinged at the topon vertical supports anchored to the back of the bridge to where the inner corridor bottoms can be swung out and upward like a door and can be propped up with a 2 or 3 foot board so that access can still be easy for wiring and lighting access to the back of the bridge leftside. Any long camera shots from the left side of the bridge can be done through the outer ring displays or the upper top displays by swing in the inner corridor panels up or opening the doors in the inner corridor.

Maybe it seems like we have taken too long in getting to this point, but I have had to even remind myself that it has only been little over a month in returning with the Exeter bridge. So I also expect since we have somewhat been semi-current in our video updates and picture coverage of the progress that we seem to be taking way longer than one would expect. I do however think taking the extra time to work out the floor plan will save us much time and effort later on when it comes time to filming. The more we can keep standing in sets and the less we have to wild back and forth between sets will mean our being less pulled of focus when in the zone in filming and would hopefully allow for quicker turnaround times between different set shooting.

Our Original Floor plan
Posted Image

FInal Floor Plan
Posted Image

Stage_9_Plan
Posted Image

Edited by Rear Admiral Nerd, 30 January 2011 - 02:55 PM.

Woof...

#38 Rear Admiral Nerd

Rear Admiral Nerd

Ensign

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 09:51 PM

I am thinking of a way to save effort on wilding of the briefing room wall and arches that overlap into the back Engineering wall, and the Engineering wall that overlaps into the briefing room. The solution I think is hinging the overhead beams and arches on hinges where the mount next to the door to the corridor and swing them away from the Engineering Room against the East wall of the briefing room. In essence collapsing them against each other or folding them like a paper fan. Likewise i am thinking of placing hinges on the west end of the seam on the back wall of Engineering to where the wall will swing away forward south from the briefing room for wilding clear. The hinges will be on the seam right outside of the window of the impulse vents.

This way wilding between Engineering and Briefing room will be fast with minimal effort.
Woof...

#39 Rear Admiral Nerd

Rear Admiral Nerd

Ensign

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 01:18 AM

What I am thinking is the briefing room arches will have on the outside back of them a lever that would extend a roller so that you could just push the hinged beams out away from the Engineering space with relative ease. There would be some faux sections of cross beam that would have a foot that rests on the overhead beams, and would lift out east but would provide spacing and cross support when in place for proper position when the briefing room space is in use. The only real problem is the carpet in the briefing room will need to come up for Engineering shots. my solution to this is have the carpet be cut in pie shaped strips the start at the door and match the beams overhead. Roll them up after the beams and table are moved out of the way and boom...you are ready to move the Engineering wall into place.

The back of the briefing room on the north hanger wall would be detachable and could be pushed against the hanger wall to allow the beams to roll with plenty of space. This could be done I think in a matter of a couple minutes at most.

As well the hinged wall for Engineering would be moved into place with little effort since i am thinking having a extendable well on the end of the back wall of Engineering as well. With the back wall extended straight in engineering with a simple swinging it on hinges, the set could be ready to use within virtually a minute. ( setting up lighting will naturally come first....but the set would be ready virtually instantly. )

The empty space near the hanger door on the north side of the hanger...in the space where the Window for the forced perspective between the impulse vents is...will be space to store wilded set pieces for the briefing room and the Captain's quarters and the Sickbay. The forced perspective behind the screen will collapse and be moved out of the way between changing over and thus will allow room to move set pieces back and forth. ( Sickbay beds, desks, bed for Captain's quarters, Dresser...etc..)
Woof...

#40 Bill

Bill

TU Manager (aka DefiantVulcan)

• Managment
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 06:12 AM

Thanks for updates Admiral. 60 x 60 may seem large but it certainly fills up fast.
I have visited New Voyages Phase II sets a few times and they have less space to work with.
The challenges certainly spark creative solutions.:thumbsup:

Life is a con
stant series of adaptations. and I am adapting as fast as I can!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users