#21 Kirok

Kirok

Publishing and Media Director, Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 04:53 AM

Day 5: Five Fan Films

Posted Image

Where have we come from? Where are we going? Well if I knew where fan films were going, I'd be investing in the share market right now! Where have they come from is an easier question! To be fair, the 1997 Star Wars fan film, Troops set the stamp for the 'made for internet' fan films we are used to today, but <ahem> There is another! In fact, there were quite a few "others" - Star Trek fan films created between 1969 - 2000.

Here are just five of them.

PS - Sorry Barb, a tad busy at the moment, The Klingon production sounds interesting, the last good Klingon production I saw was the 'Propaganda' video on YouTube. As regards Machinima it is a tool like any other: used well it can create a masterpiece used poorly it will produce rubbish. Some of the best have been from World of Warcraft - watch this one, hint: most of it is in L33t ROTFLMAO! - K

Latest releases !!! ~ March 11 - HFO Personal Logs 2 ~ March 19 - PD Smith-Tales From the Fleet 01 : Species 571 ~ March 11 - Bruffy-NovaTrek06 : A Tale Of Two Captains, Pt 2 ~
Kirok of L'Stok - Director of Media ..... "I love deadlines! I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by!" - Douglas Adams

Posted Image

#22 Terilynn

Terilynn

Black-Booted Blogging Barmistress

• Members
  • 7,515 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 10:10 AM

Excellent! Post Tweeted!

#23 barbreader

barbreader

Deputy Director

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 11:35 AM

OK, I just gave your Fifth Day of Christmas my first ever non-Fan Film Headline. I'm THAT impressed. I also have linked it in to five existing listing as a 'review' so it has a permanent spot on my website. Well, it will have six permanent spots.

Concerning your Machinima film... nothing with a flying, singing turtle can be all bad! Timmy the Turtle, my River Cooter, and I celebrated our 50th anniversary as pet and owner last month. Timmy: http://s117.photobuc...rbreader/Timmy/ . Or, as they call him at the New York Turtle and Tortoise Society: The Dog with a Shell.

Day 5: Five Fan Films

Posted Image

Where have we come from? Where are we going? Well if I knew where fan films were going, I'd be investing in the share market right now! Where have they come from is an easier question! To be fair, the 1997 Star Wars fan film, Troops set the stamp for the 'made for internet' fan films we are used to today, but <ahem> There is another! In fact, there were quite a few "others" - Star Trek fan films created between 1969 - 2000.

Here are just five of them.

PS - Sorry Barb, a tad busy at the moment, The Klingon production sounds interesting, the last good Klingon production I saw was the 'Propaganda' video on YouTube. As regards Machinima it is a tool like any other: used well it can create a masterpiece used poorly it will produce rubbish. Some of the best have been from World of Warcraft - watch this one, hint: most of it is in L33t ROTFLMAO! - K

Posted Image

#24 Kirok

Kirok

• Global Moderators
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 11:50 AM

OK, I just gave your Fifth Day of Christmas my first ever non-Fan Film Headline. I'm THAT impressed. I also have linked it in to five existing listing as a 'review' so it has a permanent spot on my website. Well, it will have six permanent spots.

Concerning your Machinima film... nothing with a flying, singing turtle can be all bad! Timmy the Turtle, my River Cooter, and I celebrated our 50th anniversary as pet and owner last month. Timmy: http://s117.photobuc...rbreader/Timmy/ . Or, as they call him at the New York Turtle and Tortoise Society: The Dog with a Shell.

Thanks for that, I'm sincerely flattered. If I get any spare time over the next month I might expand on this to make it a companion volume to the "Five Fan Films" eBook I did in 2007 - K

Latest releases !!! ~ March 11 - HFO Personal Logs 2 ~ March 19 - PD Smith-Tales From the Fleet 01 : Species 571 ~ March 11 - Bruffy-NovaTrek06 : A Tale Of Two Captains, Pt 2 ~
Kirok of L'Stok - Director of Media ..... "I love deadlines! I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by!" - Douglas Adams

Posted Image

#25 smierlo

smierlo

Senior Chief Petty Officer

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 02:25 PM

Very cool! I'm waiting for the other 7 days. Hopefull music videos are also included :D
Posted Image

#26 Kirok

Kirok

• Global Moderators
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 11:35 PM

Very cool! I'm waiting for the other 7 days. Hopefull music videos are also included :D

Its funny you should mention that! Have a look at you PM Inbox.

Thanks for the support.:thumbsup:

K

Posted Image

#27 Bill

Bill

TU Manager (aka DefiantVulcan)

• Managment
  • 5,153 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 07:17 AM

Amazing day again Kirok.
Your choices were a great surprise.
With the large availability of fan produced content these days we quickly forget those who were the pioneers.
I have number of fanzines from the '70's I should dig out.

Life is a con
stant series of adaptations. and I am adapting as fast as I can!

#28 Kirok

Kirok

• Global Moderators
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 08:11 AM

Day 6: Animations!

Posted Image

Making a fan film takes immense resources in time, effort and money - building, housing, maintaining, storing, props, sets, special effects! "Greenscreen" filming, where live actors are 'overlaid' onto a computer generated background cuts out a lot of that expense but you still need cameras, lights, costumes, getting everyone together at the same place and the same time ... and heaven forbid that you should need to re-shoot something! !CoughExeterCough!

Animation takes this a step further by making even the actors virtual! Its a challenge to breath life into two or, more frequently three dimensional graphics but if the creative team have the necessary skills and talent to pull it off it, there are very real advantages. Not only can the most fantastic scenery be used but you also have unlimited wardrobe, props and special effects departments that can be generated graphically, especially important in science fiction where we might want to have six-armed Thoats battling under the hurtling moons of Barsoom!

Who is doing it and, more importantly, how are they doing it?

PS - Wish I had more time to add detail to this but I need as much time as possible for Twelfth Night tomorrow

Posted Image

#29 barbreader

barbreader

Deputy Director

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 10:55 PM

Another nice offering. At least one of your links, in particular, the one to ST: Cloaked, does not work.
Posted Image

#30 Kirok

Kirok

• Global Moderators
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 05:20 AM

Another nice offering. At least one of your links, in particular, the one to ST: Cloaked, does not work.

Thanks for the heads-up. That's what I get for using old material without checking all links.

>_<

Posted Image

#31 smierlo

smierlo

Senior Chief Petty Officer

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 10:49 AM

In these days one dead link shouldn't keep you awake. Whole websites disappear in the blackhole that's called Internet ;)
Posted Image

#32 barbreader

barbreader

Deputy Director

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 11:56 AM

Thanks for the heads-up. That's what I get for using old material without checking all links.
>_<

This one, like the audio one, had way too much material for me to go through all of it in one day... or even a few days. It's in my 'to be sorted' hopper. (I actually do have one, vis: http://startrekrevie...009/06/243.html . I like to say that that is the most important page on my website, since so many of the unknown films that I've found and gotten cheers for finding started out as blips on my screen that I posted there, thinking I'd get back to them later. And I did, sometimes months later. But about one in 50 have been serious finds.) I also had another explosion at my website yesterday. I had had a very negative comment posted about a film I could not yet review because, by my criteria, it was not a complete story. Ordinarily, I would handle that by posting my own review, but that was not an option. Finally, some friends of that film group came by and posted comments defending their partial story (a whole episode, but only Part I of II). I feel better about that, but I alway check comments for unrelated personal attacks, (I didn't think attacking the reviewer's spelling, motivations, or taste was inappropriate) advertising materials, dirty words, and dirty photos before I post them. So, I was reviewing a lot of comments yesterday.

Nevertheless, here is the link for Star Trek: Cloaked http://www.animatedtrek.com/

The Star Trek:Cloaked website is still up, but appears abandon. I see no activity for well in excess of a year. The last dated item seems to be April 2008. I have them in my "hold" section, absent any other information. As far as I can see, they have never actually released a film. I am creating a long abandoned projects page, for never-finished projects that have been untouched for at least 3 years, like Star Trek: Andromeda and Yorktown II, to distinguish them from items like this, and the now active again Star Trek: Horizon, which was declared on hold or abandoned in the late Summer, but which is up and running again.

It's interesting to me that most websites organize films by mode (live action, animation, etc.) not era. When I replace my blog with a real website (some time after I figure out what that should look like) I have to consider whether to give the website a substructure by type within the era structure.

In my imaginary perfect website, you would choose how the website would organize itself, press your button, and ... ta da! It's organized the way you like.

For now, I can barely use a blog.

When I go through your Animated Films discussion, I'll let you know if I find other links that don't work.

But I have to say, wow, what wonderful gifts you give to the Trek community!
Posted Image

#33 Kirok

Kirok

• Global Moderators
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 12:16 PM

Day 7: Twelfth Night

Posted Image

One of the things that I've been quite proud of over the years that we have been doing the Twelve Trek Days Of Christmas has been the fact that every year we have broken some new ground. In 2007 it was a full cast Star Trek audio drama/Podbook series produced by Save Enterprise and in 2008 we started publishing fan fiction novels as pdf eBooks, more of which are coming this year!

This year, I would like to invite you along for the ride as we create some experimental media.

Sometimes coming up with something new just means combining existing media in new ways or putting them to a difference purpose. Hmmm, let's see. Shakespeare is always fertile ground for classic motifs in drama, but has anyone ever done <i>Star Trek</i> Shakespeare? LOL! No? How about a comedy for tonight? I mean a comedy about <i>this very night</i>, the traditional Twelfth Night after Christmas! A night of revels and pranks, turnaround and mistaken identity!

And just to make it a little harder I'll do it as a BlogScript so that we can all learn something about creating a CSS Blog... whilst juggling three knives and balancing a rubber chicken on your nose! No? Well just put the knives and rubber chicken back in their box and follow this link over here to Star Trek - Twelfth Night 2009

Posted Image

#34 Terilynn

Terilynn

• Members
  • 7,515 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 01:56 PM

Tweeted! Very cool K! I've been waiting for this!!!

#35 Kirok

Kirok

• Global Moderators
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 03:17 AM

Tweeted! Very cool K! I've been waiting for this!!!

Aaaww! You guessed! Was I that obvious? :rolleyes:

For the benefit of others, I discussed the possibility of producing a Star Trek Twelfth Night at the start of last year (seems strange saying that) and Terilynn was one of that group. What I'm writing at the moment is based on my second treatment which I put a fair amopunt of development into. I liked it - I still do - but it wasn't quite right for production. Rather than waste some good story development, I decided that I'd release it as a script this year and save my next version for ... mmm not telling!

:lol:

Cheers

K

Posted Image

#36 Terilynn

Terilynn

• Members
  • 7,515 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 09:50 AM

rats! I almost had him divulge! IN any event K...the work you've done is, as always, impressive!

#37 Bill

Bill

TU Manager (aka DefiantVulcan)

• Managment
  • 5,153 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 10:03 AM

I always like spoilers except for Kiroks work. The surprise is worth the wait.

Life is a con
stant series of adaptations. and I am adapting as fast as I can!

#38 barbreader

barbreader

Deputy Director

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 03:04 PM

The sheer volume of these Gifts are impossible for me to keep up with. I'm still working on the animations! But here's a sidelight: There are TWO animated Star Trek: Titan projects. I clicked on your link only to discover... your listing was real, there, and different than mine! Here is the You Tube home of mine: http://www.youtube.com/user/CRSHinra . Unlike yours, he has not yet produced an episode. Also, yours is legos, mine is 3d animation.

Edited by barbreader, 10 January 2010 - 09:02 AM.

Posted Image

#39 barbreader

barbreader

Deputy Director

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 11:28 PM

I continue to work my way through your Animations. Concerning Action Figures, you had two I didn't. But I have this one: http://apieceofme.vo...ml?_c=feed-atom ... which I think you missed!

Yes, I'm still working on Day 6 while you move on ahead. But hey, I also reviewed Incident on Beta 9, (Part 2 of 3 of George Kayaian's The Multiverse Crisis) an hour-long live action fan film on who the TOS Klingons were and how they became the TNG Klingons!
Posted Image

#40 Kirok

Kirok

• Global Moderators
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 10:42 AM

INTERMISSION
- I've just got back from three days in the mountains with the L'Stok clan and am ready to re-start posting...

Day 8: Music Videos

Posted Image

Last year's survey of Music Videos was a popular addition to the Twelve Trek Days Of Christmas and this year, Sebastiaan van Mierlo, the owner of Final Frontier Media, has graciously provided us with his listing of the top Star Trek music videos of all time!

Posted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users