The Twelve Trek Days of Christmas, 2008

46 replies to this topic

#21 Terilynn

Terilynn

Black-Booted Blogging Barmistress

• Members
  • 7,515 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 08:32 PM

Hit 'quote' here, copy, then take it over there and remove the 'quote' tags. ::grins:: It's all BBCode, so it transfers.

I tried but the "copy" command on my list was greyed out...weird. I must of screwed something up...

#22 Kirok

Kirok

Publishing and Media Director, Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 11:46 PM

Hit 'quote' here, copy, then take it over there and remove the 'quote' tags. ::grins:: It's all BBCode, so it transfers.

Y'Know I never thought of that! That was why I put the BBCode in the release post on the Google Group, but your way is probably easier.

K

Latest releases !!! ~ March 11 - HFO Personal Logs 2 ~ March 19 - PD Smith-Tales From the Fleet 01 : Species 571 ~ March 11 - Bruffy-NovaTrek06 : A Tale Of Two Captains, Pt 2 ~
Kirok of L'Stok - Director of Media ..... "I love deadlines! I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by!" - Douglas Adams

Posted Image

#23 Wowbagger

Wowbagger

Vice Admiral

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 12:06 AM

Whee! 'zines! Fanzines don't get enough love on the modern scene. Thanks for giving it to them.

I love it how, on the Internet, people simply make things for me to enjoy. It's weird. But really cool!
Wowbagger: The Once and Future Prophet of Almighty Tim
"Make as much noise as possible!" --Manny Coto. Ah, good times. Does anyone remember Al Vinci?
Listen to the Star Trek: Excelsior audio radio drama extravaganza! www.starshipexcelsior.com!
...because not enough people have used the word "extravaganza" in advertising since the 1890's. I'm bringing extravaganza back.

#24 Kirok

Kirok

• Global Moderators
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 04:04 AM

Whee! 'zines! Fanzines don't get enough love on the modern scene. Thanks for giving it to them.

I love it how, on the Internet, people simply make things for me to enjoy. It's weird. But really cool!

That's what fan productions are all about - giving things away for free all year 'round! you'll like the next 'pressie' as well - a fanzine that surveys Trek fan films in 2008 ... followed by Trek Audio Dramas in 2008.

Some of the stuff I'm digging up has surprised me! Let's just say that you are going to be having some competition in Trek audio dramas from an unlikely quarter next year! ;)

K

Latest releases !!! ~ March 11 - HFO Personal Logs 2 ~ March 19 - PD Smith-Tales From the Fleet 01 : Species 571 ~ March 11 - Bruffy-NovaTrek06 : A Tale Of Two Captains, Pt 2 ~
Kirok of L'Stok - Director of Media ..... "I love deadlines! I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by!" - Douglas Adams

Posted Image

#25 Apocalypse

Apocalypse

The Baron, Resident Duelist

• Members
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 07:06 AM

I'm waiting for the tenth day because I want to see the hard work fasty put into ST:AAB. Especially the Engineer, because I only gave some hints and ideas to him coupled with my wisdom of playing that role many times. Just wanna see what it looks like in nice RPG rules format.
Recent-ish blog entry: The D20-headed Knight, Chapter Six: The Prodigal Steve Returns
"Oh, come on... be reasonable. You can't destroy everything; where would you sit?"
-The Tick

#26 Kirok

Kirok

• Global Moderators
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 07:59 AM

I'm waiting for the tenth day because I want to see the hard work fasty put into ST:AAB. Especially the Engineer, because I only gave some hints and ideas to him coupled with my wisdom of playing that role many times. Just wanna see what it looks like in nice RPG rules format.

Hey, Fasty! You've got a fan! :)

Actually I need some input on gaming ... I'll open a thread on it HERE

K

Posted Image

#27 Wowbagger

Wowbagger

Vice Admiral

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 03:57 PM

That's what fan productions are all about - giving things away for free all year 'round! you'll like the next 'pressie' as well - a fanzine that surveys Trek fan films in 2008 ... followed by Trek Audio Dramas in 2008.

Some of the stuff I'm digging up has surprised me! Let's just say that you are going to be having some competition in Trek audio dramas from an unlikely quarter next year! ;)

K

*leans forward in chair*

I and my about-to-be-updated fan film list would very much like to know what that cryptic statement means.

*rubs hands together eagerly*
"Make as much noise as possible!" --Manny Coto. Ah, good times. Does anyone remember Al Vinci?
Listen to the Star Trek: Excelsior audio radio drama extravaganza! www.starshipexcelsior.com!
...because not enough people have used the word "extravaganza" in advertising since the 1890's. I'm bringing extravaganza back.

#28 Captain_Hair

Captain_Hair

Master of all things, jack of none

• VIP
  • 50,337 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 09:20 PM

Posted ImageThe Twelve Trek Days of Christmas: Day Five

On the fifth day of Trekmas, Star Trek gave to me... five fan films! The public preconception that fan films are all low quality took a severe beating in 2008! The level of production expertise and the quality of scripting and acting has made major advances with certain trends emerging that are working in the favor of the production groups. Two groups in particular are garnering a lot of media attention: Star Trek: Phase II and Star Trek: Of Gods and Men.

Star Trek: Of Gods and Men brought together the best of the amateur, fan production talent and a wealth of professional talent and experience and created a movie that was critically well received. It must surely have opened a few eyes in the entertainment industry for the way that it showed good entertainment need not necessarily cost millions of dollars per episode.

James Cawley's Star Trek: Phase II is another show that has raising eyebrows with it's Nebula and Hugo nominations and it would be easy to say that is due to it's use of professionals who voluntarily want to be involved. However they have remained true to their roots by ensuring a strong contingent of fans in their cast and crew with a regular call for volunteers.

Rob Caves is also branching out into original work with his latest proposal, Frontier Guard, whilst maintaining his commitment to fan film-making by mentoring a number of spin-off series from his recently completed, seven season epic, Star Trek: Hidden Frontier, Star Trek: Odyssey, Star Trek: The Helena Chronicles and Star Trek: Federation One!

Another trend that is growing is the concept of joint productions. Star Trek: Intrepid and Hidden Frontier Productions have proven this with two excellent examples of what can be accomplished by combining the resources of equipment, manpower and talent, Star Trek: Orphans of War and Star Trek: Operation Beta Shield. Another trend that this Scottish fan production group is perfecting is the vignette, short films that add depth to the plot and characters.

Starship Farragut is following both these trends by developing on it's strategic partnerships with other fan groups, such as Star Trek: Phase II, and NEO/fx who are independently creating an animated series based on the Farragut fictional universe as well as producing vignettes of their own in between the filming of their full sized episodes.

These are only the stars of the Star Trek fan film community. They represent the tip of an iceberg that encompasses a vast range of fictional styles and media. For today's present Acrux fanzine is producing what will become an annual Star Trek fan film review, starting as posts on our Blogsite that will grow into a twenty page fanzine.

View: Acrux Fan Film Review
Visit: The Twelve Trek Days of Christmas 2008 website

Posted Image

#29 Captain_Hair

Captain_Hair

• VIP
  • 50,337 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 08:16 PM

Posted ImageThe Twelve Trek Days of Christmas 2008: Day Six

On the sixth day of Trekmas, Star Trek gave to me... audio dramas! Radio drama, as a form of mass-media entertainment, was close to extinction at the start of the 21st century. The public had been lured away by the instant gratification of TV's eye candy and radio in its turn had dropped drama as part of it's programming, focusing instead on news, talk shows and music. It was in 2001 that audio production and distribution was revolutionized by the release of the iPod and the development of the internet as a public access and distribution platform. Podcasts began springing up as amateurs created their own shows giving news and views on subjects that interested them and it was only a matter of time before creative fans realized that they now had the tools and distribution medium to make and share their own audio dramas.

2008 has been a year of consolidation and diversification in Star Trek audio dramas as existing groups build on their experience and new fans realize that this represents an accessible way of breaking into fan productions. Star Trek: Defiant and Star Trek: Lost Frontier from Pendant Productions and Darker Projects respectively still represent the benchmark against which other groups are measured but their position at the top is being assailed by some newer groups that are good and getting better.

Star Trek: The Continuing Mission for example came on the fan production scene at the end of 2007 promising professional level production and delivering just that with two more episodes in '08. Star Trek: Unity released their first episode at much the same time and have followed it up, one year later, with their second episode, the conclusion to the first.

Frequency of production is a problem for all fan productions and audio dramas are no exception. Star Trek: Dimensions , which released a well-received premiere episode in August, has addressed this by voluntarily going into hiatus until March '09 when they hope to have three full seasons finished and ready to roll, a bold decision!

Creatively, Star Trek audio dramas represent a wide spectrum of styles from Star Trek: Eras character-driven 'broad canvas' that spans two hundred years of Star Trek to Star Trek: Excelsior 's RPG based, plot-driven action. In between you have the political drama of Star Trek: Diplomatic Relations , the ill-fated Starfleet Renegades and Star Trek: The New Frontier and the unique Star Rabbit Tracks .

Today's present is yet another installment of Acrux fanzine's annual review of Star Trek fan productions, this time covering Trek audio dramas produced and planned in 2008, posted on our Blogsite, to be released on completion as a twenty page fanzine.

View: Acrux audio drama review

Posted Image

#30 Captain_Hair

Captain_Hair

• VIP
  • 50,337 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 06:37 PM

Posted ImageThe Twelve Trek Days of Christmas 2008: Day Seven

On the seventh day of Trekmas, Star Trek gave to me... fan animation! Just as with the mass media market, animation is enjoying a boom as an option for creating video drama, both for the cinema and for TV. What are the advantages? Making a fan film takes some immense resources in time effort and money. Let's take Star Trek: Phase II for example, although one could just as easily take Starship Exeter, Farragut or the German Das Vermachtnis. One of their major resources are their sets, built by James Cawley as a labour of love and based on original plans taking years to build. The investment in time, effort and cash on something like this is immense and not easily reproduced.

Groups like Star Trek: Odyssey and Intrepid have got around this by using a technique called "Greenscreen" filming, where live actors are 'overlaid' onto a computer generated background against. However animation takes this a step further by making even the actors virtual! This can be a challenge in that it takes a certain amount of skill to breath life into two or even three dimensional graphics.

Stop Motion Animation

There is a bewildering array of methods for creating a virtual world within which we can play. Some are well known already such as the "stop motion" type monsters that Ray Harryhausen became famous for. The technique involves stringing together a series of photos of a model that is moved. There are a number of examples of this that have been applied to Star Trek that use different methods of building the models or "puppets".

The traditional media for building stop-motion puppets is clay and early in '07 there was a cute two-part YouTube video called "Clay Trek" that has since been taken down by the creator. There are now two major forms of stop-motion in fan animation (all examples are listed in alphabetical order).

Lego 'Brickfilms'
Captain's Nightmare
Star Trek: Titan

more...

Action Figure puppetry
Commander Rob
Star Trek: Enterprise: The New Generation

2D Animation

By far the most recognisable form of animation though is Cel animation graphics which are hand-drawn & animated and whenever Trek fans think of Star Trek animation, they think of Star Trek: The Animated series which was made by Filmation in 1973. Amazingly, two Star Trek fans are following this traditional route.

Cel Animation
Animated Star Trek - A test short and act 1 of a four act episode, released by TAS aficionado Curt Danhauser.
Star Trek: Cloak - Beautiful concept artwork for a planned animated sequel to the Original Series episode, 'The Enterprise Incident' by renowned Trek fan artist, Douglas Herring

There's no way around it though, cel animation is very labour intensive and takes considerable artistic talent, basically you are animating two dimensional artwork. Using a computer can now speed up the creation of the artwork and in some cases is the basis of a digital (as against a photographic) animation process.

Toonshows - Which bring a limited number of stills to life via fades and wipes
The Legend of Gorath - Professional but free on ST.Com.
Tony Tuthill's Toonshows - Video podcasts and more

Flash - A popular software package for creating and animating graphics
Enterprise Flashed
South Trek
Star Track: The Animated Adventures
Stone Trek

3D Animation

So far we've been talking about creating and animating (bringing to life) 2D artwork but computers are capable of creating 3d worlds. Fan animators have a wide array of tools at their disposal that create three dimensional models that can be filmed in virtual sets. So many in fact that the resulting shows are as individual as their creators ...

CGI
Enterprise: Season Five
Star Trek: Aurora
Star Trek: Dauntless
Star Trek: Farragut, The Animated Adventures
Star Trek: Saladin

Machinima
Borg War
Morning Star

more...

The principle behind Machinima is that users control avatars in a proprietary game engine like Star Trek: Elite Force or one of the MMOG's, and then record what they do, like the popular Halo-based Red vs. Blue. They have become so popular that games have been specially developed to take advantage of in-game movie-making, such as ...

The Sims
Sim Trek - from 2005

The Movies
Star Trek: Frontier
Star Trek: The Other Generation
Star Trek: The Way Back

Understandably this can only be a partial list and viewers and film-makers are invited to discuss this and add their own finds on the TrekUnited forum.

What lies ahead for Star Trek fan animation in the next twelve months? I think we are going to see more work done on all of these fronts as those who follow, build on the experience of the trail-blazers. Will one become more popular than the others? Not necessarily, each appeals to people for different reasons and each has different strongpoints and requirements in terms of investment in skill and cost.

Perhaps the biggest opportunity that animation suggests as a creative fan media is that it is accessible. Anyone who learns how to play a computer game with a certain amount of skill will find it possible to record themselves and use this to make a machinima.

The challenge will be to make good ones, which means developing skills in all areas -
I think we're up to it!

Posted Image

#31 SLWatson

SLWatson

Ensign

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 06:57 PM

Terilynn, if you see this, any chance you can go and repost to the OS?

#32 Terilynn

Terilynn

• Members
  • 7,515 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 07:20 PM

Terilynn, if you see this, any chance you can go and repost to the OS?

see it - but as before - when I quote for the reply and then try to copy the info - it won't - the "copy" command on my right click becomes disabled when I try...when I am able to copy - when I click on the pic - the text comes with it but not the links....and the links are everything...

CH - any advice?

#33 Captain_Hair

Captain_Hair

• VIP
  • 50,337 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 07:40 PM

I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't be copying properly... :huh:

Posted Image

#34 Terilynn

Terilynn

• Members
  • 7,515 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 08:04 PM

I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't be copying properly... :huh:

Nope - no go...when I highlight and right click - copy isn't even an option for me... weirdness

#35 Gibraltar

Gibraltar

Commander

• Members
  • 348 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 08:07 PM

Try highlighting the text and then Ctrlr-C. That's been working for me, lately.
Posted Image

#36 Terilynn

Terilynn

• Members
  • 7,515 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 09:06 PM

I suck...It copies all the text but none of the link code or pix...

#37 Captain_Hair

Captain_Hair

• VIP
  • 50,337 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 11:00 PM

Hmm... it might be a problem with the HTML I used. Current forum settings only allow admins to post in HTML (for membership security purposes), so it might be borking when you attempt to quote it. PM me and I'll send you a reformatted BBCode version.

Posted Image

#38 Captain_Hair

Captain_Hair

• VIP
  • 50,337 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 05:29 PM

Posted ImageThe Twelve Trek Days of Christmas 2008: Day Eight

On the eighth day of Trekmas, Star Trek gave to me... music videos! In simplistic terms, a "music video" is exactly what it says, a video presentation to accompany a musical piece, but in real terms they have become so much more! Just as a good music video to accompany a new release is essential for it's success, a bad video can ruin the chances of a good song. Fans have put their own twist to this by doing "mash-ups," and on a larger scale "fan-edits," that take items of copyrighted material and combine them into new productions of their own. This does not change their legals status, they're still technically in breach of the law and as such are under the same restrictions as all other fan productions. They are, in fact, more likely to run afoul of the music industry than the movie studio!

This year we have found what we think are eight music videos that are representative of the best that has been produced in 2008 on YouTube, the largest online video hosting service, and by the magic of the internet have them on this very page for your enjoyment. I had some help finding the videos this year too, from the denizens of the TrekUnited forum and if you are a music video producer who would like to tell the world about your work, or just a fan who would like to see the many other videos that, for differing reasons didn't make the final eight, checkout the thread here.

#1 - Christine Chapel and Spock
How better to celebrate the life of "The First Lady of Trek" than by leading off with a romantic ballad, Sway by Bic Runga, celebrating one of the great unrequieted love stories of Star Trek, Christine Chapel and Mr Spock. From dgmpepper8.

#2 - Amazed
For those who like a happier ending Johannalaforge gives us Will Riker's and Deanna Troi's romance played out to the accompaniment of Maybe I'm Amazed, the Wings classic, performed by Jem.

#3 - To Tell A Lie
Captain Krunch has given us another of his video tales of intrigue and romance, this time involving Ro Laren and ... Captain Picard! To the dulcet tones of Brent Spiner singing It's A Sin To Tell A Lie and the cool jazz guitar rifs of Baby Please Don't Go.

#4 - Dr. 'Bones' McCoy Tribute - Don't Stop Me Now
For Original series fans lynsaygreen has put together a slideshow of screencap's of Dr 'Bones' McCoy, the irascible medical officer of the Enterprise as played by DeForest Kelley, whose 'larger-than-life' character meshes well with Queen's Don't Stop me Now.

#5 - Janeway The Alien Slayer
This clever play on the similarity between two of TV's leading ladies from Bloempje721 is more of a true mash-up, in that it re-uses clips of Cpt. Janeway from Voyager over the theme music from Buffy The Vampire Slayer to give it the same "feel".

#6 - Star Trek Voyager - Believe
SazzyAgain has used When You Believe by Leon Jackson as the basis for a character piece on Kathryn Janeway as we saw her in the two-part Year of Hell episode from season 4.

#7 - Star Trek Voyager - Christmas 2008
Music videos excel at humour and SazzyAgain has put together a witty backing video to Bob Rivers' take on my favourite Christmas Carol. I wish I'd seen this before Christmas!

#8 - What I Like About Elim Garak
Istandil, a Czeck fan, has turned the Romantics' 1979 rock anthem, What I Like About You, into a boppy video that will have you rocking along with it right up to the surprise end.

Posted Image

#39 Wowbagger

Wowbagger

Vice Admiral

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 12:08 AM

Man, I love Bloempje721. She's got quite an array of awesome themed openings for Voyager.

#40 Captain_Hair

Captain_Hair

• VIP
  • 50,337 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 11:06 AM

The Twelve Trek Days of Christmas 2008: Day Nine

On the ninth day of Trekmas, Star Trek gave to me... nine desktop wallpapers! Star Trek, what does it mean to you? Are you a fan of the Original Series or The Next Generation? Did you grow up on Deep Space Nine or Voyager? Today, we stand on the threshold of a new chapter in the Star Trek franchise, so it seemed as good a time as any to ponder on the icons of our past with this series of wallpapers by 12 Days graphic artist Enigma. Check them all out below...

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

For high-resolution versions of the above, please visit the 12 Trek Days of Christmas 2008 website.

Posted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users