Photo

Rate "The Devil In The Dark" (New CGI Version)

25 replies to this topic

Poll: Rate "The Devil In The Dark" (10 member(s) have cast votes)

How would you rate this TOS episode?

1. A. (6 votes [60.00%])

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

2. B. (3 votes [30.00%])

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

3. C. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. D. (1 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

5. F. (0 votes [0.00%])

How would you rate the CGI in this Episode?

1. A. (5 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. B. (4 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

3. C. (1 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

4. D. (0 votes [0.00%])

5. F. (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 NX014Ever

NX014Ever

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 01:11 AM

How would you rate the Star Trek: TOS Remastered episode "The Devil In The Dark"?

How would you rate the CGI effects in this episode?

Use spoiler code when necessary:

Spoiler

Episode Info: http://www.tv.com/st...10/summary.html
"There's one thing you never put in a trap if your smart. If you have any plans of seeing tomorrow there's one thing you never, ever, put in a trap...Me!" - The (11th) Doctor. [/center][/size]

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 Kyle Nin

Kyle Nin

Pick Your Own Title

• Members
  • 7,555 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 07:43 PM

Really good FX in this one.

I'll point out my favorites:

Spoiler

Leverage.jpg
Leverage -- All Five Seasons Now on DVD

"The numbers are bad! The numbers are bad!" -- Hugo "Hurley" Reyes, Lost - Season 1
"Boone's death was a sacrifice that the island demanded." -- John Locke, Lost - Season 2
"When was it you lost your imagination, son?" -- Dr. Walter Bishop, Fringe - Season 1

#3 WeatherManNX01

WeatherManNX01

Sir Sexy - USA! USA! USA!

• Members
  • 26,110 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 07:47 PM

Really good FX in this one.

I'll point out my favorites:

Spoiler

I have to agree, that was really awesome. I was very impressed by that effect.

Posted Image

#4 marty

marty

Commodore

• Members
  • 519 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 11:45 PM

Not impressed.

#5 ticktrek

ticktrek

Commander of Starfleet

• Members
  • 2,573 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 12:07 PM

I have to agree, that was really awesome. I was very impressed by that effect.

I fell asleep before that part. It was almost 3 in the morning.
Connorseurs do it with Cuteness
"Let's make sure history never forgets the name: Enterprise."
-- Captain Jean-Luc Picard , TNG 163

Posted Image

#6 Domo_Arigato_Mr_Mugato

Domo_Arigato_Mr_Mugato

1st Year Cadet

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 01:22 PM

I really liked the new exterior shots of the mining facility. My first impression of it was that it looked like an old model kit and it blended well with the rest of the show. I felt that the Horta melting the rock looked a bit awkward. I could see a slight jump when they switched from the new CGI to the orignal shot. I think however if I had never seen the show before I probably wouldn't have noticed it so I can't complain to much. Overall I have to say its another job well done.

#7 Kyle Nin

Kyle Nin

Pick Your Own Title

• Members
  • 7,555 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 02:45 PM

I felt that the Horta melting the rock looked a bit awkward. I could see a slight jump when they switched from the new CGI to the orignal shot.

Spoiler

Leverage.jpg

"The numbers are bad! The numbers are bad!" -- Hugo "Hurley" Reyes, Lost - Season 1
"Boone's death was a sacrifice that the island demanded." -- John Locke, Lost - Season 2
"When was it you lost your imagination, son?" -- Dr. Walter Bishop, Fringe - Season 1

#8 Radardog

Radardog

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 04:11 PM

Great episode. Excellent additions to CGI.
Captain, I am not a merry man! - Worf "Qpid"

#9 Domo_Arigato_Mr_Mugato

Domo_Arigato_Mr_Mugato

1st Year Cadet

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 06:44 PM

Spoiler

I watched it again, and you can tell when they switch from the CGI to the original. As the horta is coming out of the hole the CGI version just kind of slides down out of the hole. Then they abruptly switch to the orginal and it starts to wiggle on the ground. I know I'm not explaining it very good but that's the best I can do. As I said before its really not that bad. I'm just being nitpicky because I remember the original.

#10 Kyle Nin

Kyle Nin

Pick Your Own Title

• Members
  • 7,555 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 09:17 PM

I watched it again, and you can tell when they switch from the CGI to the original. As the horta is coming out of the hole the CGI version just kind of slides down out of the hole. Then they abruptly switch to the orginal and it starts to wiggle on the ground. I know I'm not explaining it very good but that's the best I can do. As I said before its really not that bad. I'm just being nitpicky because I remember the original.

Okay, I went back and watched that scene again. The Horta does seem to kind of jerk when it comes out of the tunnel, but it was so small of a detail that I wouldn't have noticed it if you hadn't pointed it out.

Another thing I noticed (that I didn't before) was that when the Horta burned through the rock wall, you could see smoke in the air. It wasn't like that in the original version and it makes me even more impressed.

Leverage.jpg

#11 NX014Ever

NX014Ever

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 10:58 PM

Spoiler

"There's one thing you never put in a trap if your smart. If you have any plans of seeing tomorrow there's one thing you never, ever, put in a trap...Me!" - The (11th) Doctor. [/center][/size]

#12 Horatio

Horatio

Warrant Officer 1st Class

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 11:18 AM

I also agree that the new CG fx were a positive compliment to the episode. I loved the addition of the smoke and heat wave distortion as the Horta came through the rock. Excellent, excellent, excellent.

H

#13 Tom

Tom

TrekUnited Owner & Co-Founder

• Managment
  • 4,845 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 03:24 PM

Guys about the spoiler code, is this really nessasary? It is just the effects that are updated not the story . I added spoiler warnings to this section so lets drop there red spoilers, reminds me to much of red tape!! lol

TrekUnited - Owner & Co-Founder

Co-Producer of Star Trek: Renegades and Renegades: The Requiem.

GalacticaBBS.com - Owner

"To boldly do what no one has done before..."

#14 Kyle Nin

Kyle Nin

Pick Your Own Title

• Members
  • 7,555 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 04:47 PM

It is just the effects that are updated not the story.

What do you mean "It's just the effects"? That's the whole reason these updated episodes exist.

But thanks for giving this forum a spoiler warning. You have no idea how many times I have to type in the word "spoiler". Whew! No more.

Leverage.jpg

#15 Captain_Hair

Captain_Hair

Master of all things, jack of none

• VIP
  • 50,337 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 04:57 PM

What do you mean "It's just the effects"? That's the whole reason these updated episodes exist.

But thanks for giving this forum a spoiler warning. You have no idea how many times I have to type in the word "spoiler". Whew! No more.

Yeah, but it's not like nobody has seen the episode before! It's the same exact story, with new effects. We know the effects are going to be updated.

Posted Image

#16 Kyle Nin

Kyle Nin

Pick Your Own Title

• Members
  • 7,555 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 05:08 PM

Yeah, okay. You've got a point there.

Leverage.jpg

#17 NX014Ever

NX014Ever

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 05:39 PM

Yeah, but it's not like nobody has seen the episode before! It's the same exact story, with new effects. We know the effects are going to be updated.

Guys about the spoiler code, is this really nessasary? It is just the effects that are updated not the story . I added spoiler warnings to this section so lets drop there red spoilers, reminds me to much of red tape!! lol

But what about the new generation of fans that these shows could bring in that maybe, just maybe never saw any of the original shows? It has already been stated above or in the CGI thread that someone would not watch because of the effects before, but now do watch it with the new CGI. I agree that if we are talking about the effects, we probably don't need a spoiler for those. But I am going to keep it in for the story parts that might give something major away to the plot. Like say
Spoiler
Trust me, that was a major spoiler for the
Spoiler
episode! If you have not seen it, don't read that "red tape" part! :P :) So for me, no spoiler code unless it is VITAL to the plot, for those who may have never seen TOS. But, it's all good :thumbsup: No worries guys!

#18 Kyle Nin

Kyle Nin

Pick Your Own Title

• Members
  • 7,555 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 05:58 PM

You make a good point too.

Leverage.jpg

#19 Captain_Hair

Captain_Hair

Master of all things, jack of none

• VIP
  • 50,337 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 06:00 PM

NX014Ever... you're talking about spoilers for something that aired 40 years ago. If somebody hasn't seen it before, the information is still readily available on Star Trek.com. It's not like the information is secret...

Posted Image

#20 NX014Ever

NX014Ever

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 07:00 PM

That's a good point, Hair. But I'm still going to do it on my posts when it comes to someone major dying (a rarity in any Star Trek show I know) or something like that. But your point is certainly valid...I suppose. ;)

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users