Why do we need a transporter room?

5 replies to this topic

#1 Fan Producer

Fan Producer

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 12:12 AM

If the Federation and Klingons and whatever can beam anything anywhere, why would they need a transporter room? I've been wondering about that for ages.

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 Kirok

Kirok

Publishing and Media Director, Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:17 AM

If people can cook anywhere why do they use kitchens? Or, perhaps more to the point, if helicopters can take off and land anywhere, why do they usually use airports? My preferred technobabble explanation is that the transporter pads are a more energy efficient method of using the trasporter or that their location representing an easier target for incoming and/or outgoing transporter traffic.

Cheers

K

Latest releases !!! ~ March 11 - HFO Personal Logs 2 ~ March 19 - PD Smith-Tales From the Fleet 01 : Species 571 ~ March 11 - Bruffy-NovaTrek06 : A Tale Of Two Captains, Pt 2 ~
Kirok of L'Stok - Director of Media ..... "I love deadlines! I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by!" - Douglas Adams

Posted Image

#3 Fan Producer

Fan Producer

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 07:47 PM

Good point - I never thought of it that way. Thanks. :)

#4 Ezri Dax

Ezri Dax

Captain

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:31 AM

Well, they thought of the use of a shuttle. That was the reason for the shuttle bay on the Enterprise. The problem became, the cost to make the shuttle and they did make one. But the cost of the use of the shuttle leave and landing would cost more then the use of a transporter effects. Plus, it is only a hour show. The show would take up a few minutes just leaving and landing. Plus, you could beam up and beam down a number of times, as with a shuttle, it would be less of a story in a hour show.

#5 Beast Boy

Beast Boy

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:58 PM

If people read ebook why need read ordinary books or if people watching DVD why need VHS cassette's.

Transporter technology is very good technology for transportation of people,weapons,foods,cargo and much much more.

Shuttles it is ancient technology and i guess that transporter technology-this is future of federation.

You would want to landing on mount when you are inside shuttle ? I guess that not. So transporter technology is very good than shuttles for transport of people or hazard team group.

gKZxu0v.jpg?1

#6 Tmir

Tmir

Insane

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 3,637 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 12:41 AM

Hmm, I think it's for a better transition, like from point to this point there is nothing in the way, point is constant and a good way to make sure they're not contaminated, a checkpoint of sorts... I guess I never really thought about it, have they ever transported from point to point without the pad, beacon or at the very least commbadge? You'd think our GPS capabilities would be a little more advance and we'd be to re materialize whatever geo reference point no?
*able
Do you like my fish?

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users