12 replies to this topic

#1 johnhazard

johnhazard

Welcomed Star Trek Fan

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 06:47 AM

Animated Exeter needs Volunteers!

We are in the pre-production stage for a 24 minute (TV half hour) animated Starship Exeter episode. The style will be similar to Batman: the Animated Series and Justice League. We have a script ready, and we’re in the storyboarding stage. We’re looking for volunteers to lend artistic services to help make this ambitious project a reality. PLEASE- Only those with real talent and resources (with samples ready to prove it), and those truly ready to commit your time (free of charge) to this daunting but worthwhile endeavor need apply.

Voice Talent
Most of the voices will be those of the established Exeter crew, however there are five guest roles that need casting. We would prefer actors with experience, but if you have a voice that really fits the part, we’d like to hear your audition. Bonus points if you have access to professional sound recording equipment or live near the producers (Austin, TX) or director (New York, NY).

Part #1: Alien Official
An older (50-70) male humanoid. Very curmudgeonly and self- important. Sort of a Vincent Price or Jay Robinson (who played Ambassador Petri on the TOS episode “Elaan of Troyus”).

Part #2: Flirtatious Male
Handsome, strong, bold, self-confident, smooth, but also a decent guy. Sort of like Venus Flytrap on WKRP in Cincinnati, but not in a funny way. Preferably a young black man.

Part #3: Klingon Officer
Slimy and commanding. Like Koloth, only more Klingon-y.

Part #4: Klingon Soldier
Guttural, with a cruel sense of humor.

Part #5: Robot
A good, old-fashioned mechanical robot. Think Robby or Dick Tufeld. Emotionless –most of the time. The voice will probably be enhanced electronically, but we need a really interesting character voice to start out with- not a silly, flat caricature.

Flash Animators
We’re animating the characters in Flash, but we’re going for a full, traditional animated look (as much as possible with Flash). No Flash newbies-only the experienced and talented need apply.

Character Illustrators
Talented illustrators to draw our characters in a style similar to Batman: the Animated Series and Justice League Unlimited (see my artwork sample). You need to provide high res scans of your inked artwork or work directly in an application that can output vector art (Adobe Illustrator, Freehand, Flash, etc). If you have experience with Flash, and can prepare the artwork for animation (separating the moving parts), that is a plus.

Background Illustrators (Exeter interiors)
To draw and color the interiors of the Exeter. Prefer you work in a vector-based app- Adobe Illustrator would be best. You could also work in a CG program (i.e. Maya).

Background Illustrator or Painter (Alien Jungle Exteriors)
Not sure yet if we want traditional painted backgrounds or just beautifully colored linework (like, say, The Wild Thornberrys)- depends on who we can find. The jungle will be full of exotic alien plants and animals, steep cliffs, majestic vistas, and beautiful sunsets. Probably looking for a very painterly look, not a digital look.

CGI Modeler/Animator
We need the Exeter, a shuttle, some robots, the shuttlebay, and other things modelled. Must match the look of the character drawings- ie, the Exeter can't have too much detail. Prefer you work in something that can be imported to Maya, but not necessary.

Traditional Portrait Painter (Movie Posters)
We have some designs we want painted like old fashioned movie posters. We only have low res photos to use as reference. Again, looking for a painterly look, not a digital look.

If you’re interested, please email samples or links to trek@thehazmat.com . Please do not bother creating new art for us unless we request it- we don’t want to waste your valuable time. And again, please don’t contact us with offers to pitch in in any capacity other than those listed above.

Please note that if we bring you on the team there will be no compensation for your work other than being listed in the credits, and the satisfaction of working on a project which we think will turn out to be really cool. The final product will be offered as a free download on the internet, and no profit will be made from it whatsoever. Thank you!

Posted Image

P.S. I know I misspelled "Odyssey" in the title of this thread, I can't seem to edit it. :rolleyes:

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 Bill

Bill

TU Manager (aka DefiantVulcan)

• Managment
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 08:26 AM

Welcome to TFU John, fixed your spelling error. looks like you have a great project here. I like your graphic for the crew. Looking forward to your finished product.

Life is a con
stant series of adaptations. and I am adapting as fast as I can!

#3 le_dartagnan

le_dartagnan

Commodore

• Members
  • 531 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 05:51 PM

hey,

Looks great.

I'd love to join.

I do not have any equipment other than my own pc. But I know how to record my voice.

About voicing experience ? Well, I did some for a game addon (Baldur's Gate II : Tower of Iron Will).
But most important, I'm a ventriloquist, got 3 characters who all have their own voices (lives :D :D :P ).

Anyways, am looking forward to the cartoons !!!!

Qap'la
le_dartagnan
:klingon: :klingon: :klingon:

#4 Trek-Rider

Trek-Rider

CHIEF SQUEEKY PIXELS

• Members
  • 750 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 01:07 AM

Dropped you an email. Pls let me know if ya didn't get it. :)

btw.. your work is RAD. We are sooo not worthy!

Sarah.TR
"With every ending, there is a new beginning."

Make it so.
Posted Image

#5 Tom

Tom

TrekUnited Owner & Co-Founder

• Managment
  • 4,845 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 06:46 PM

Welcome to TFU, looks good.

TrekUnited - Owner & Co-Founder

Co-Producer of Star Trek: Renegades and Renegades: The Requiem.

GalacticaBBS.com - Owner

"To boldly do what no one has done before..."

#6 Kirok

Kirok

Publishing and Media Director, Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 01:15 PM

Welcome to TrekUnited, John -

I gave your Flash animation a write-up in Haliling Frequencies Open (our Newsletter which features Exter on the front page) although I had nowhere near as much information as you have here! Did Kail (of StarTrekAnimated.com) come on board with this?

I like the look of the graphic - It's a more modern style that we can relate to than the Hanna Barbera style of TAS.

Cheers

Kirok of L'Stok

Latest releases !!! ~ March 11 - HFO Personal Logs 2 ~ March 19 - PD Smith-Tales From the Fleet 01 : Species 571 ~ March 11 - Bruffy-NovaTrek06 : A Tale Of Two Captains, Pt 2 ~
Kirok of L'Stok - Director of Media ..... "I love deadlines! I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by!" - Douglas Adams

Posted Image

#7 johnhazard

johnhazard

Welcomed Star Trek Fan

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 05:30 PM

Thank you very much for the write-up. I can really use the exposure!
Just to set the record straight, the animation is going to be done in the style of Justice League Unlimited, Batman the Animated Series, etc... not TAS. Kail and I are not working together- he's got his own thing going.
I guess I should really write up a press release. :rolleyes:

Welcome to TrekUnited, John -

I gave your Flash animation a write-up in Haliling Frequencies Open (our Newsletter which features Exter on the front page) although I had nowhere near as much information as you have here! Did Kail (of StarTrekAnimated.com) come on board with this?

I like the look of the graphic - It's a more modern style that we can relate to than the Hanna Barbera style of TAS.

Cheers

Kirok of L'Stok

#8 Aussie Trekkie

Aussie Trekkie

The Amateur Internet Radio DJ

• Members
  • 7,133 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 02:19 AM

I think Kirok was saying that the style of animation you got for Exeter: The Animated Odyssey is better and more known to people than the Hanna Barbera style of Star Trek: The Animated Series

#9 Kirok

Kirok

• Global Moderators
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 04:56 AM

I think there is room for both! A new fan animation that is faithful to the style of "ST: The Animated series" would certainly have it's place. With Kail's experience in web comics, I'm sure he will script an excellent adventure that will complement the style of the original cartoon.

One of the beauties of fan productions though are that the people making them have infinite diversity in infinite combinations! Different storylines, different visual styles. I must admit, Justice League is a bit of a favourite in our house more because of the biting storylines but the artwork is pretty cool too. If anything, "The Animated Odyssey" is a blank slate that you have free reign for something new - the possibilities are unlimited!

Keep us posted!

Cheers

Kirok

Latest releases !!! ~ March 11 - HFO Personal Logs 2 ~ March 19 - PD Smith-Tales From the Fleet 01 : Species 571 ~ March 11 - Bruffy-NovaTrek06 : A Tale Of Two Captains, Pt 2 ~
Kirok of L'Stok - Director of Media ..... "I love deadlines! I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by!" - Douglas Adams

Posted Image

#10 Aussie Trekkie

Aussie Trekkie

The Amateur Internet Radio DJ

• Members
  • 7,133 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 05:02 AM

I've noticed there has been an explosion of Star Trek animated fan productions must be at least five or six of them around

I think it is interesting the Exterior is CG while the Interior is not

#11 le_dartagnan

le_dartagnan

Commodore

• Members
  • 531 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 03:41 AM

I've noticed there has been an explosion of Star Trek animated fan productions must be at least five or six of them around

I think it is interesting the Exterior is CG while the Interior is not

Indeed, but I'm waiting for a fully CG Animated fan production.
I've placed several threads, looking for people who could help me out to do exactly that
a fully CG animated series. But so far nobody seems to be interested :(

Qap'la
le_dartagnan
:klingon: :klingon:

#12 Kirok

Kirok

• Global Moderators
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 06:16 AM

Indeed, but I'm waiting for a fully CG Animated fan production.
I've placed several threads, looking for people who could help me out to do exactly that
a fully CG animated series. But so far nobody seems to be interested :(
Qap'la
le_dartagnan
:klingon: :klingon:

Depends on your flavour of CG (Computer Generated) animation. It can simple or hard, the software can be cheap or pretty expensive. Starting with the simplest ...
  • Lego Brick movies - If you are into Klingons, you'll like these. Cute but not for real action.
  • Sim movies - Recording action on the popular game like this or this. The extravagent expressions and hand movements take a lot of getting used to.
  • Machinima - Movies made using games software, in the case of Star Trek, usually "ST: Elite Force". Probably the best example is "Borg Wars, The Movie" although ST: Unity in Half Life-2 looks like being a strong production when it gets off the ground.
  • Flash movies - Real animation for computers! This production "Exeter, the Animated Odyssey", ST: Endeavour (by me old mate Aussie Trekie!) and Enterprise Flashed are excellent examples. My favourite though is Xombie.
... and that's before you even hit the productions that are creating their own virtual movies from scratch ...
  • ST: Constellation - Three projects, one live, one Flash, one 3DS Max (I think)
  • ST: Valiant - You have to admire Spaniard Antonio Cabañas' dedication with this Anim8or & DAZ work!
  • Enterprise Continuation Project - 3DS Max. Beautiful work, but needs more support before he can get a production schedule going.
My advise would be, unless you have some cgi talent yourself, pick a project that you like and see what you can do to help them. Voice talent, writing, publicity, website design ... there are heaps of jobs to be done. Perhaps it is because i write i think that a good script can make up for simple cgi so don't ignore the simpler options like machinima, Sim or Lego movies, remember they can be used to make Web Comics as well.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Kirok

Posted Image

#13 le_dartagnan

le_dartagnan

Commodore

• Members
  • 531 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 10:19 AM

Thanks !!!

Qap'la
le_dartagnan
:klingon: :klingon: :klingon: :klingon: :klingon:

Reply to this topic