Ideas Please

10 replies to this topic

#1 AmeliaCharlotte

AmeliaCharlotte

1st Year Cadet

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:38 PM

Hey all you Trekkies, I need some help with my fanfiction. I have a situation and i don't know how to proceed.

Here it is:

In my story, Data is married and wants to leave Starfleet. But since he's owned by Starfleet, they wouldn't let him, would they? If this is the case, I think either he would have to try to gain ownership of himself, or his wife would have to. But how?

Please give me your ideas if you have any. Thanks in advance,
AC.
'Time is a companion that goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment because they'll never come again.'

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 jespah

jespah

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

• Global Moderators
  • 4,918 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:53 AM

A lawsuit.

He would be suing for self-determinism, showing that, as a sentient being, he should have rights. And, actually, it would almost be like suing for Free Agency. So Google Curt Flood (http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Curt_Flood) and you'll see a bit about what I'm talking about.

Honk if you love silence.

Published author, Trek Citizen and not much bigger than a bread box

Untrustworthy-medium.jpg    banner-ezri.jpg

#3 Ezri Dax

Ezri Dax

Captain

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:33 AM

Well, if Data wants to leave Star Fleet. He should just send B4 to be himself. Data married .... I hope she does not run on Windows?

#4 Beast Boy

Beast Boy

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

I don't know,maybe better begin write story about years after return ship "voyager" on the Earth or about that will be after "deep space nine",but only not about "TNG".

Edited by Beast Boy, 23 January 2013 - 03:45 PM.

gKZxu0v.jpg?1

#5 trekkin

trekkin

Memory is the first thing to go! :P

• Global Moderators
  • 7,728 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:09 PM

Seems to me that precedent was set in both this ep of TNG http://en.memory-alp...A_Man_(episode)

and this ep of Voyager... http://en.memory-alp..._Line_(episode)

Just some research for you...

I think that Data is NOT owned by anyone....unless you consider that all soldiers are the property of the govt. they are enlisted to serve.
"Please, dear God, don't let me phlox up." -Shepherd's Prayer: Freedom 7

Are we ever really HERE, man?

"...death is my bread and danger my butter - oh, no, danger's my bread, and death is my butter. No, no, wait. Danger's my bread, death - no, death is - no, I'm sorry. Death is my - death and danger are my various breads and various butters. ." -Woody Allen

#6 Beast Boy

Beast Boy

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:36 AM

I don't know why trekkies like watch TNG? I like watch DS9,Voyager and Enterprise+ a little TOS but not TNG.

gKZxu0v.jpg?1

#7 Ezri Tigan

Ezri Tigan

Chief Warrant Officer

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:37 AM

Seems to me that precedent was set in both this ep of TNG http://en.memory-alp...A_Man_(episode)

and this ep of Voyager... http://en.memory-alp..._Line_(episode)

Just some research for you...

I think that Data is NOT owned by anyone....unless you consider that all soldiers are the property of the govt. they are enlisted to serve.

Yeah, my first thought was "Measure of a man" aswell. Those questions were already dealt with there. I reccomend you watch it before you decide anything (e.g. maybe you want to set your fic in AU, where the storyline of that particular episode never happened? And by AU I don't mean the Mirror universe)

I don't know why trekkies like watch TNG? I like watch DS9,Voyager and Enterprise+ a little TOS but not TNG.

Why not? O.o
While other little girls wanted to be PRINCESSES, I wanted to be a VULCAN

"But there are reasons why we, as Star Trek fans, look up to the men and women on Star Trek as heroes and have kept the franchise alive for so long. They exemplify the very best of what human beings can be while still showing us the warts and scars we all have and we all must struggle to overcome." - Dan Madsen

#8 Beast Boy

Beast Boy

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:48 AM

Yeah, my first thought was "Measure of a man" aswell. Those questions were already dealt with there. I reccomend you watch it before you decide anything (e.g. maybe you want to set your fic in AU, where the storyline of that particular episode never happened? And by AU I don't mean the Mirror universe)

Why not? O.o

Because seasons one-three is very boring and special effects not modern.

gKZxu0v.jpg?1

#9 Ezri Tigan

Ezri Tigan

Chief Warrant Officer

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:34 AM

Because seasons one-three is very boring and special effects not modern.

Well, normally I would be the first to support the amaizingness of good visuals, but in this case, I have to take a step back from my fetish and say that ST is much more about the stories and characters than special effects.

"But there are reasons why we, as Star Trek fans, look up to the men and women on Star Trek as heroes and have kept the franchise alive for so long. They exemplify the very best of what human beings can be while still showing us the warts and scars we all have and we all must struggle to overcome." - Dan Madsen

#10 AmeliaCharlotte

AmeliaCharlotte

1st Year Cadet

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:33 AM

Oh, wow, I've never had so many people on a forum before. Thanks guys.
After looking back on 'Measure of a Man', I found that Captain Louvois rules in favor of Data (which i already knew) and that she decide that he's not Starfleet's property (which i didn't know).
I enjoyed you comments :) even yours, Beast Boy, even tho i don't agree with you. (although i will admit the 1st season was a bit sketchy).
Oh, and Ezri Dax, you'll be happy to hear she doesn't run on windows, the reason being that she's not an android, she's human.

Thanks guys!
'Time is a companion that goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment because they'll never come again.'

#11 Ezri Tigan

Ezri Tigan

Chief Warrant Officer

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:40 AM

Oh, wow, I've never had so many people on a forum before. Thanks guys.
After looking back on 'Measure of a Man', I found that Captain Louvois rules in favor of Data (which i already knew) and that she decide that he's not Starfleet's property (which i didn't know).
I enjoyed you comments :) even yours, Beast Boy, even tho i don't agree with you. (although i will admit the 1st season was a bit sketchy).
Oh, and Ezri Dax, you'll be happy to hear she doesn't run on windows, the reason being that she's not an android, she's human.

Thanks guys!

You're welcome :thumbsup: I'd love to see your fanfic when it's done ^_^

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users