Book - Brinkmanship

16 replies to this topic

#1 Ezri Dax

Ezri Dax

Captain

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:29 AM

I just picked up this Star Trek book called "Brinkmanship". It is a new book that came out last September. I got alot of books to read right now and it will be some time before I can get to a single day to read the book. Just thought someone has read it and give me their view of the book.

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 Ezri Tigan

Ezri Tigan

Chief Warrant Officer

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:04 PM

So you like to read too? Great to know! I've also got quite a large pile of books waiting their turn atm, but I'll be sure to put that one on the list! ;)

I know this may be regarded as off topic, but speaking of books, have you read the Dune thrilogy? That's what I'm reading right now, and it's a great book.
While other little girls wanted to be PRINCESSES, I wanted to be a VULCAN

"But there are reasons why we, as Star Trek fans, look up to the men and women on Star Trek as heroes and have kept the franchise alive for so long. They exemplify the very best of what human beings can be while still showing us the warts and scars we all have and we all must struggle to overcome." - Dan Madsen

#3 Ezri Dax

Ezri Dax

Captain

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:13 AM

I loved the Dune trilogy. They are better then the movies. That 1984 movie of Dune was so 20th century. i read like 52 to 104 books a year. Right now in am reading the last book, The Return of the King. It is so so different then the 3 movies. Almost done, only less than 230 pages to go.

#4 Beast Boy

Beast Boy

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:24 AM

i hear about this movie but i not hear about book based on this movie. Also have video game released on the sega genesis in the 1994 year.

gKZxu0v.jpg?1

#5 Ezri Tigan

Ezri Tigan

Chief Warrant Officer

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:49 AM

Wow sis, that many books?! You're amaizing! I like reading too, but don't do as close as much as you! I never watched the movie, way too old to even check it out :P

Beast Boy, actually the movie was based on the book, not the other way around. :) I never heard about the video game. Is it good?

"But there are reasons why we, as Star Trek fans, look up to the men and women on Star Trek as heroes and have kept the franchise alive for so long. They exemplify the very best of what human beings can be while still showing us the warts and scars we all have and we all must struggle to overcome." - Dan Madsen

#6 Beast Boy

Beast Boy

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:47 AM

Wow sis, that many books?! You're amaizing! I like reading too, but don't do as close as much as you! I never watched the movie, way too old to even check it out :P

Beast Boy, actually the movie was based on the book, not the other way around. :) I never heard about the video game. Is it good?

Good if do you like games in the strategy genre.

gKZxu0v.jpg?1

#7 Ezri Dax

Ezri Dax

Captain

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:26 AM

Ezri Tigan, it is now the year 10191 ..... (my memory or recalling over 1,000 pages of the first Dune book). But after Dune, there is the Children of Dune and there is the third book as well.

#8 Ezri Tigan

Ezri Tigan

Chief Warrant Officer

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:23 AM

Ezri Tigan, it is now the year 10191 ..... (my memory or recalling over 1,000 pages of the first Dune book). But after Dune, there is the Children of Dune and there is the third book as well.

Yeah, a hell of a lot to read.

Good if do you like games in the strategy genre.

Oh. Not for me, then.

#9 Ezri Dax

Ezri Dax

Captain

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:23 PM

I love to read! But, I love to read european books the most. Still love my Russian lit! Anyone got any good Kafka books to read?

#10 Ezri Tigan

Ezri Tigan

Chief Warrant Officer

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:30 AM

Oho, I didn't know you weresuch a smarty-pants! :naughty3dg:
Personaly, I hate russian literature. Way too realistic for me. I like imagination and "brave new worlds", so to say. I don't like the so-called "modern art" style either. A few months ago we had to read Kafka's "Transformation". Didn't like it. But that's just my opinion. :) I'm glad I have such a smart-ass sister :inlove:

#11 Ezri Dax

Ezri Dax

Captain

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:37 PM

Yes, I am the smart ass sister :) Think you would love Notes From the Underground! Strange, I noticed people from europe wanted to read American lit. And I think, ok, maybe 50 good books. But I think more like I am from Europe. Anyone got Jean-Paul Sarte books?????

#12 Ezri Dax

Ezri Dax

Captain

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:41 AM

Just read the book, not the best Star Trek book!

#13 Ezri Tigan

Ezri Tigan

Chief Warrant Officer

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:45 AM

Ok, I'll put it on my list :)

And, I noticed that Americans tend to view Europe as a whole. You know, there's like, I don't know, France, England, Germany, Italy... And they're all unique and different. C'mon sis, I know you're way better than those average Americans who think Europe is a country. ;)

Still... I wanna be American!!! :'( Or Japanese... can't decide :P

#14 Ezri Dax

Ezri Dax

Captain

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:12 PM

Ok, I'll put it on my list :)

And, I noticed that Americans tend to view Europe as a whole. You know, there's like, I don't know, France, England, Germany, Italy... And they're all unique and different. C'mon sis, I know you're way better than those average Americans who think Europe is a country. ;)

Still... I wanna be American!!! :'( Or Japanese... can't decide :P

What can I say, most people look at europe and say, you got the United Kingdom and France. Americans would say you guys are white, so whats the problem. You want to be a American, but I think you seen to many west coast and east coast movies.

Posted Image

There is always Wyoming, a state I have been in and spent a night there.
Area: 97,820 sq miles (253,300 km2)
Population: 576,412

But you got Croatia
Area: 21,861 (56,594 km2)
Population 4,290,612

Think how boring Croatia would be with a population of say 150,000?

#15 Ezri Tigan

Ezri Tigan

Chief Warrant Officer

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:29 AM

Hi, I'm back!

Well, it was never about the people anyway - it's all about the culture. I mean, you guys provide the world with all the amaizing and top-quality stuff that act as a standard for everyone else! Not to mention you're the first in line to get all the latest tech (which is made by you anyway)! All the greatest music! And this beautiful language of yours (I think it's 10 times better than British,just to be clear)! So developed and awesome - what's not to like?

I'll give you a little comparison - I'm still waiting for the iTunes store to become available in Croatia. I think that's enough said.

Edited by Ezri Tigan, 17 February 2013 - 09:30 AM.

#16 Ezri Dax

Ezri Dax

Captain

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:56 AM

Hi, I'm back!

Well, it was never about the people anyway - it's all about the culture. I mean, you guys provide the world with all the amaizing and top-quality stuff that act as a standard for everyone else! Not to mention you're the first in line to get all the latest tech (which is made by you anyway)! All the greatest music! And this beautiful language of yours (I think it's 10 times better than British,just to be clear)! So developed and awesome - what's not to like?

I'll give you a little comparison - I'm still waiting for the iTunes store to become available in Croatia. I think that's enough said.

Interesting!The way I look at it, America does not look at itself with a single culture. If I talked with someone from California and said they have the same culture as someone in Mississippi: they may look at me strange and if I said that to someone in Mississippi they would tell me that I was going to hell. With our top=quality stuff, sure we think about it and we have it made in China. Try to find in American a TV that is made in the states, or in that fact: the itune you want with your Apple product that is made in China and sold to the world as a American pruduct as the headquarters is still in California. Yes Apple products, that is made from cheap China labor that works 16 hours a day, lives in a community building with nets around the side of the building so the wrokforce do not kill themselves by jumping out of the windows.

#17 Ezri Tigan

Ezri Tigan

Chief Warrant Officer

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:01 AM

That's just where they put the product together (assemble it), but the design/real creation is made in America. If a product was made by Chinese, you would know it. But I don't blame them. As you said, there is aserious lack of education there. Yes, they are used, and I sympathise with them, but that doesn't change the fact the product actually came from America. Either way, the Chinese have nothing to do with the iTunes software being awailable in Croatia. That was just an example anyway. The point was how Croatia lags behind America.

As for the culture - you live there, you know better. But that happens in every country. The south and north can't stand each other here. There are differences, but there are common points for a contury as awhole.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users