New strategies in Pdf publication

2 replies to this topic

#1 Kirok

Kirok

Publishing and Media Director, Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 05:29 AM

With the recent changes to Issuu, we find ourselves in a position where we need to work out our strategy for pdf distribution and ask ourselves if Issuu is the best tool for achieving our goals. Basicall we need a place or places online where we can lodge a pdf and it can be browsed and downloaded by our audience. There are certain critical points that we need to judge these distribution platforms on...
- Is it free online storage of the pdf?
- can the reader download it for free? Is the downloading function easily seen and used?
- does it reach a wide audience? How easily can they find it? Is it tagged for searching? Does it have an easy reading interface to make it an enjoyable reading experience?
- Does it look elegant? Professional? Functional?
- Does it give us the feedback we need to 'fine-tune' our publishing strategies and tactics and - of course - to give the author feedback on their work.

Any other suggestions?

I've uploaded the pdf of the second volume of AL Payne's trilogy, Night Whispers, "The Deception", to Issuu to test out what the changes actually entail and the first difference I've noticed is that whereas we had over 15 data points to fill in when uploading before, now we only have only three: The name, the description and the publishing date. Whilst this is easier and faster, it also appears to mean that...
- I can't make it a private document which was handy because I would put it up as a private document prior to release so that the author could check what it looks like and I could "release it" just by making it a public document. Without this, I can't do that.
- You can't specify the tags or keywords, such as fan fiction or star trek
- You can't specify the rating
- You can't add media to it, eg the promotional audio text we did for Terylyn's Star Trek: Retribution (NB This still has it's audio attached)

The good thing is that you still have the choice of making it downloadable by your readers, the alternative is that you can make it a "read-only" preview. In fact I gain the impression that Issuu is trying to set itself up as a more commercially orientated distribution platform with the emphasis on preview chapters being made available of commercial books and their own bookshop.

This is not, however, a direction that we - who want to distribute free ebooks - want to go.

K

Latest releases !!! ~ March 11 - HFO Personal Logs 2 ~ March 19 - PD Smith-Tales From the Fleet 01 : Species 571 ~ March 11 - Bruffy-NovaTrek06 : A Tale Of Two Captains, Pt 2 ~
Kirok of L'Stok - Director of Media ..... "I love deadlines! I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by!" - Douglas Adams

Posted Image

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 Kirok

Kirok

Publishing and Media Director, Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:32 AM

Issuu is proving to be problematical with its downloading - they've hidden the download button under "share" on the book view - and it's erratic stats - the unreleased book I have online has 2 likes already but who from? I can't tell! As the owner I can view the stats for the week or month but all they show are reads, impressions, average time spent and performance - the one that I would really be interested in would be downloads. However the stats can't be downloaded for viewing by others unless I manually copy & paste them and, as I think we'll all agree, my time is better spent publishing.

I really think our best idea might be not to think in terms of stopping publishing on Issuu but to expanding into other distribution networks.

Madison told me last night that, the copies of Personal Logs he posted on deviantArt last night have "had 38 views and 14 downloads [for Personal Logs 1]. and Personal Logs.2 has had 38 views and 18 downloads". I looked at P.Logs 1 just now and it shows publically (ie not just to the owner)...

Comments: 4
Favourites: 2 [who?]
Views: 42 (12 today)
Downloads: 19 (6 today)

That's an impressive result for less than two days! However it is almost certainly because Madison's dA website probably has more people watching it than all our other TUPublishing sites put together! Looking at the Statistics available of Madison's work on his front page, I can see that he has
88 Watchers! That means (I think) that they will be notified whenever Madison uploads anything new, if you click for more statistics, you find that...

mdbruffy has 7,497 pageviews total and their 133 deviations were viewed 16,833 times. Mdbruffy watches 45 people, while 88 people watch mdbruffy.

Overall, their deviations received 750 comments and were added to deviants' favourites 692 times, while mdbruffy commented 5,462 times, making about 1.72 comments per day since joining deviantART. This means that mdbruffy gave 73 comments for every 10 received.

The deviation with the most comments is The Victor with 39 comments, while the most favourited one is Bringing-her-Home, with 31 favourites. The most viewed deviation is The Victor with 651 views.

9 favourites were given for every 10 comments.

Every 23.7 days mdbruffy uploads a new deviation, and it's usually on a Sunday, when 64 (48%) of deviations were submitted.

The busiest month was May 2013 when 51 (38%) deviations were submitted.

The majority of deviations are submitted to the digitalart gallery (45), while the favourite category was resources > 3dmodels with 26 deviations.

Comments per deviation: 5
Favourites per deviation: 5
Views per deviation: 126
Comments per day: 0.23
Favourites per day: 0.21
Deviation views per day: 5.32
Pageviews per day: 2.37

About the only thing I would ask more of the statistics would be that I could download them so that I could see trends (are you getting more comments or less?) but that is really, really good! And by the way, congrat's on your success, Madison! I might take another look at that Amok Time arena.
If you look at the social media buttons on the top RH corner of the dA viewer page, you'll see a dropdown arrow next to buttons for a Note, Facebook, Tumblr & Twitter. If you click on this, it opens another box which gives you another five social media options (I only recognise Pinterest and Google+), the hyperlink URL, the code for a Thumb (?) and the html for embedding the viewer. This viewer is a lot more sophisticated than I first thought!

K

Latest releases !!! ~ March 11 - HFO Personal Logs 2 ~ March 19 - PD Smith-Tales From the Fleet 01 : Species 571 ~ March 11 - Bruffy-NovaTrek06 : A Tale Of Two Captains, Pt 2 ~
Kirok of L'Stok - Director of Media ..... "I love deadlines! I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by!" - Douglas Adams

Posted Image

#3 jespah

jespah

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

• Global Moderators
  • 4,918 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:15 AM

DA "watchers" don't get notifications, so far as I'm aware. I believe they are more equivalent to Facebook followers, and are just expressing a positive interest.

Honk if you love silence.

Published author, Trek Citizen and not much bigger than a bread box

Untrustworthy-medium.jpg    banner-ezri.jpg

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users