Very nice... it has a very Futurama-esque vibe to it. :D

Posted Image

#43 Pheon

Pheon

Crewman

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 12:28 PM

Here's a quick vid featuring several of the ships that will be featured in the opening story.

Posted Image

#44 Kirok

Kirok

Publishing and Media Director, Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 03:23 PM

Here's a quick vid featuring several of the ships that will be featured in the opening story.

Pheon, you an' y' mate are to be congratulated! Those are sharp looking models, well animated. Without committing yourself to a timescale, what are you thinking of doing for your pilot? A ten minute vignette? A full episode? I hope your plot does your graphics justice. What has made ST: Aurora such a surprising phenomena has been that the storyline has been so damn good!

One advantage of an Enterprise fan production is that you don't have to spend as much time on initial character exposition since you can be pretty sure that your audience knows who they are and all their foibles. You can throw yourself straight into the plot or introduce your villains or other supporting characters.

Great work! I wish I had your graphic talents!

Cheers

K

Latest releases !!! ~ March 11 - HFO Personal Logs 2 ~ March 19 - PD Smith-Tales From the Fleet 01 : Species 571 ~ March 11 - Bruffy-NovaTrek06 : A Tale Of Two Captains, Pt 2 ~
Kirok of L'Stok - Director of Media ..... "I love deadlines! I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by!" - Douglas Adams

Posted Image

#45 Pheon

Pheon

Crewman

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 05:19 PM

Great work! I wish I had your graphic talents!

Credit should go to Adam Kopala who did most of the models and rendered the animation. I did most of the NX model and that's about it.

Adam's essentially taken over all the 3D aspects of the project, leaving me to the 2D and the writing.

Without committing yourself to a timescale, what are you thinking of doing for your pilot? A ten minute vignette? A full episode? I hope your plot does your graphics justice. What has made ST: Aurora such a surprising phenomena has been that the storyline has been so damn good!

Well, we're shooting for a full episode at the minute. Obviously, in order to get something out there quicker I've being thinking about doing a shorter animation that should be relatively quick to produce. However, the main priority is a trailer which shall mostly be made up of scenes from the first episode.

One advantage of an Enterprise fan production is that you don't have to spend as much time on initial character exposition since you can be pretty sure that your audience knows who they are and all their foibles. You can throw yourself straight into the plot or introduce your villains or other supporting characters.

Very true, and that's certainly the mentality I'm taking. We'll be jumping right back into things pretty much where 'Terra Prime' left off, and since you mentioned it I'm hoping to increase the repertoire of the supporting cast, though these will be members of Enterprise's crew.

Posted Image

#46 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

Player of all things Warcraft

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 12:25 PM

Neat video. The quality's a lot higher than I'd expected.

#47 Elf

Elf

Pick Your Own Title

• Members
  • 4,455 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 07:59 AM

The video looks really good.
"Give me your boot." "What for?"
"So I can squash it." "Are we allowed to squash alien life forms?"
"If they're inside your sleeping bag. There it is. Wait a minute. Where'd you put the phase pistols?"
"You wanna shoot a bug?"
"I'm just gonna stun it."- Tucker and Mayweather

#48 ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike

Fleet Admiral

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 2,497 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 04:49 PM

I'm just blown away by the talent involved here...

#49 Pheon

Pheon

Crewman

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 08:11 PM

There's a new demo reel up on YouTube.

Posted Image

#50 Aussie Trekkie

Aussie Trekkie

The Amateur Internet Radio DJ

• Members
  • 7,133 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 08:51 PM

That's absolutely brilliant stuff there, can't wait to see the final product

#51 Discodirect

Discodirect

Lieutenant Commander

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 09:23 AM

This work is absolutely brilliant and I nominate for a Trek United award for outstanding contribution to keeping the 'Enterprise' dream alive! :thumbup:
I look forward to the finished article!
Hey - can you imagine how cool it would be if the original actors voiced their characters! :rolleyes:

#52 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 09:50 AM

Okay, I'm officially excited by this. If you can deliver the a story of the same quality as your animation, I think this could be big.

#53 Pheon

Pheon

Crewman

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 07:01 PM

Hey - can you imagine how cool it would be if the original actors voiced their characters! :rolleyes:

Since you brought it up auditions are still open. :D

Posted Image

#54 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 08:26 PM

You might want to contact the Temporal Cold War mod. Some of their voice actors might be willing to help.

#55 Pheon

Pheon

Crewman

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 08:29 PM

You might want to contact the Temporal Cold War mod. Some of their voice actors might be willing to help.

Yeah, I've seen their work, and I've being thinking about forming somekind of affiliation with them for a while.

Posted Image

#56 Kirok

Kirok

• Global Moderators
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 08:32 PM

Since you brought it up auditions are still open. :D

Unlike most other fan films, Enterprise fan films seem to be focusing on the original characters, for example yours and Enterprise, the Temporal Cold War which, although a game mod, still needs VA's for the video sequences. There are at least two other concepts under consideration and two others in hiatus. Anyone who can do a good impersonation of any of the original characters will potentially find themselves with more work than they could shake a stick at! And this doesn't take into account Audio Dramas and Audio Books either!

One could say that another actor could take over the role rather than try to "impersonate" someone else - as they have done on Star Trek: New Voyages/Phase II - but that doesn't work in audio or animation where on the one hand, the "Theatre of the Mind" will project the doppleganger of the original actor and, in animation, the video will try to look as close as possible to the original.

Star practising your impersonations, people!

K

Latest releases !!! ~ March 11 - HFO Personal Logs 2 ~ March 19 - PD Smith-Tales From the Fleet 01 : Species 571 ~ March 11 - Bruffy-NovaTrek06 : A Tale Of Two Captains, Pt 2 ~
Kirok of L'Stok - Director of Media ..... "I love deadlines! I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by!" - Douglas Adams

Posted Image

#57 Pheon

Pheon

Crewman

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 09:04 PM

Unlike most other fan films, Enterprise fan films seem to be focusing on the original characters, for example yours and Enterprise, the Temporal Cold War which, although a game mod, still needs VA's for the video sequences. There are at least two other concepts under consideration and two others in hiatus. Anyone who can do a good impersonation of any of the original characters will potentially find themselves with more work than they could shake a stick at! And this doesn't take into account Audio Dramas and Audio Books either!

Very true.

One could say that another actor could take over the role rather than try to "impersonate" someone else - as they have done on Star Trek: New Voyages/Phase II - but that doesn't work in audio or animation where on the one hand, the "Theatre of the Mind" will project the doppleganger of the original actor and, in animation, the video will try to look as close as possible to the original.

Star practising your impersonations, people!

On the contrary, I never had the outlook of going for voices which sounded the exact same as the actor/actress on the TV series. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, and honestly the closer to original the better, but ultimately it's unfeasible to expect dead on copies of the originals. I'm principally just looking for the feel of the characters, as opposed to the sounds of their voices.

Posted Image

#58 Kirok

Kirok

• Global Moderators
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 02:23 AM

On the contrary, I never had the outlook of going for voices which sounded the exact same as the actor/actress on the TV series. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, and honestly the closer to original the better, but ultimately it's unfeasible to expect dead on copies of the originals. I'm principally just looking for the feel of the characters, as opposed to the sounds of their voices.

Hmmm.

I suppose a Voice Actor could do the same with their delivery of their character, the way they perform the voice, as Phase II has with their performances of The Original Crew - aim at performing the character rather the actor. James Cawley, for example, plays Kirk rather than Shatner and their newest Sulu, J.T.Tepnapa, will not be trying to outdo Takei (who could?).

In the case of a VA, they would need to study the essence of each character's performance and build their own delivery based on the character and what the actor made of that character. For example a VA playing Jonathan Archer would do well to aim at playing the captain of Starfleet's first Enterprise, getting the age, the regional & cultural dialect and the main strong-points of the character right. However you can't ignore the fact that Archer was created by Scott Bakula and as such there is a lot of Bakula in him: his laid back command style, his personal engagement with his crew, his moral conflicts ...

Perhaps an even better example might be to look at the casting of the latest Trek movie. Zachary Quinto has said that his rendition of Spock is not directly based on that of his predecessor, Leonard Nimoy.

I really felt like my relationship to the character was specific to the text I was playing and to the world in which the character is being created right now, this time. So I didn't feel beholden to Leonard, other than to honor the origins of what he created, obviously. But I think the whole project was based in that philosophy, so it wasn't a problem.

It won't be easy though! At least to start with, you'll need to add some audible clues to the script, making the identity of each character absolutely plain. OK, so I'm thinking more of the problems facing an audio production that an animation as in your case, but the principle is still there - it's what they had to go through with Star Trek: The Animated Series. Imagine how that could have bombed if they hadn't had the original actors to tap into (especially Doohan who was a radio-trained, voice actor).

So perhaps I should modify what I said by encouraging fans to think about how they would play the characters of ST: Enterprise?

Cheers

K

Posted Image

#59 Pheon

Pheon

Crewman

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 08:42 AM

So perhaps I should modify what I said by encouraging fans to think about how they would play the characters of ST: Enterprise?

Yes, I think that would work. :D

Edited by Pheon, 11 August 2008 - 08:42 AM.

Posted Image

#60 Aussie Trekkie

Aussie Trekkie

The Amateur Internet Radio DJ

• Members
  • 7,133 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 09:09 PM

I wonder what happened to this project, it looks so cool

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users